• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Painkillers - aspirin, ibuprofen

Hanako

Hi,
someone in another thread wrote that she can't have ibuprofen and aspirin any more because it created stomach bleeding. (The aspirin stayed in the top pouch and was burning a hole in the stomach). I am wondering, has anyone else tried using those painkillers after having band? Can you have it? I am allergic to paracetamol and I am taking ibuprofen sometimes when I overdo exercises, and aspirin I am using instead of paracetamol when I have cold or flu. I don't know what else I could be using, so I am wondering whether you had the same experience as that poster, or if it is just her bad luck. (I am aware that I won't be able to use those painkillers immediately before/after the operation, because it thins the blood and could increase the bleeding, but I am wondering whether I would be able to use in the future).

Thank you for your help. :)

Hanako said:
Hi,
someone in another thread wrote that she can't have ibuprofen and aspirin any more because it created stomach bleeding. (The aspirin stayed in the top pouch and was burning a hole in the stomach). I am wondering, has anyone else tried using those painkillers after having band? Can you have it? I am allergic to paracetamol and I am taking ibuprofen sometimes when I overdo exercises, and aspirin I am using instead of paracetamol when I have cold or flu. I don't know what else I could be using, so I am wondering whether you had the same experience as that poster, or if it is just her bad luck. (I am aware that I won't be able to use those painkillers immediately before/after the operation, because it thins the blood and could increase the bleeding, but I am wondering whether I would be able to use in the future).

Thank you for your help. :)

Don't know Hun ,I would be interested to find out as well.

Prob best to ask your adviser/team on that one good luck xx

You can buy aspirin and other painkillers that have a special coating on them to protect the lining of the stomach. I no longer take regular aspirin; the coated ones are so much better and safer.

I don't know if post-WLS patients can tolerate the coated painkillers but it might be worth investigating?

I take painkillers regularly for a long-term illness and have had no problems at all. I take paracetamol and ibuprofen.

Thank you very much for your help.

To be fair, you can buy Ibuprofen in a liquid form (I think) and aspirin can be used the dispersible one, which could be taken dissolved in a glass of water. Because liquids go easily through the band to the lower part of the stomach, I struggle to see why taking those medications in liquid form could be a problem for us with band. Sure, aspirin and ibuprofen can potentially cause the stomach bleeding, but they do that even to people without band, so I really can't see why it would be (relatively) safe to be used for people without band and unsafe for people with band. I would think that the risk is the same. Does anyone have any explanation for that?

Thank you very much for your help.

To be fair, you can buy Ibuprofen in a liquid form (I think) and aspirin can be used the dispersible one, which could be taken dissolved in a glass of water. Because liquids go easily through the band to the lower part of the stomach, I struggle to see why taking those medications in liquid form could be a problem for us with band. Sure, aspirin and ibuprofen can potentially cause the stomach bleeding, but they do that even to people without band, so I really can't see why it would be (relatively) safe to be used for people without band and unsafe for people with band. I would think that the risk is the same. Does anyone have any explanation for that?

Not sure but wonder if it maybe something to do with it not passing into the lower part of your stomach as quickly, thus having more time to cause irritation.
The pouch above your band is only small and the medication would be more concentrated than if it went straight into your stomach.
Hope that makes sense

Nsaids can irritate anyone's stomach. Especially if taken regularly. THose of us who have had bariatric surgery are especially vulnerable because of our smaller pouches and the fact that we are already more likely to develop ulcers etc. Our acid levels don't reduce quick enough if I recall correctly. And so we are told to avoid all nsaids. We can take them short term with a ppi to protect our stomachs but most surgeons will not recommend them long term unless they are absolutely necessary.

OMG, so to be able to take ibuprofen or aspirin even short term I will have to take another medication with it? And will I have to go to GP to prescribe PPI then? (one usually doesn't go to GP when they do too much exercise and need to take ibuprofen, or when they have cold and need to take aspirin).

Last edited:
You may be able to take it every now and then but best to ask your surgeon or GP for more advice on this :)

Yes I would. I just wouldn't risk it at all personally but I do understand its tough if your allergic to paracetamol. What about codeine?

Yes I would. I just wouldn't risk it at all personally but I do understand its tough if your allergic to paracetamol. What about codeine?

I am absolutely fine with codeine, but can you buy it without prescription? As far as I know, you can buy codeine in combination with paracetamol (which is useless for me) or with ibuprofen. I am not aware that you would be able to buy codeine on its own in the pharmacy. I can't see myself running that frequently to my GP for prescription.

I would make a case for having some handy in case of issues. I agree you can't buy it over the counter, but you should be able to get your gp to agree to a small supply?

Lots of pain killers can irritate your stomach, nothing seems to upset mine though.

I have taken a cocktail of prescribed tablets post band with no issues.

In your situation I would discuss your options with your GP, or provider or even pharmacist.

As far as I'm aware tablets dont sit in a banded pouch, when you swallow with water they would go into the un banded section.

Try not to let it worry you xx

Back