• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

People are now calling me skinny – the mind boggles?!

Anita75

Since I started to put weight on at the age of 27 [I’m now 34], I never thought I’d hear the words ‘skinny’ followed by my ‘name’ used in the same sentence.
The funny thing is that I’m far from skinny – I’m still in the overweight category (maximum weight for my height should be 63 and I’m 72 kilos – still very overweight)... but people left, right and centre are telling me I’m ‘skinny’ and because I’m not agreeing with them (I keep pointing out that according to my BMI or height/weight charts I’m overweight), my work colleagues, family and friends are worried that I’m becoming anorexic. They keep poking my collar bone and breast bone telling me they’re showing big time, that my shoulders are diminutive and grabbing my waste telling me it is minuscule and my face practically non-existent – I keep telling them that I’m just a ‘bony’ type of person and that my waste is the smallest part of my body because that just happens to be my body shape (hourglass)... that if they were to look at my legs (which is where I carry my weight) it would be a different story. Anyway... serious concern is coming at me from all angles. I guess they see me as skinny because they’re comparing me to what I was like 8 months?????
Something else I do not understand is the fact that I’ve had to buy size 12 clothes because my 14s are way too baggy... but how can I be 73 kilos, only 1.58meters and be a size 12? It just doesn’t add up... last time I was a size 12 I was 58 kilos (not 72)... this is a complete mystery to me!
Apologies if it sounds like I’m moaning – I’m not... really. I’m very happy having gone from a size 20 to a size 12 (although, just before surgery, my size 20 clothes they were starting to feel VERY tight... mainly because I knew I was having surgery and kept having 'last meals' before I started of my pre-op diet). My goal was a size 16 and to have exceeded that is absolutely wonderful – but I do wonder why the figures do not add up? Have any of you guys experienced this at all?
A xxx

I've not experienced this yet due to wls but wanted to congratulate you on doing so fabulously. xx

congrats to you both. I guess you must be more muscular now Anita!
Cant wait til I get those kind of comments :-0
Keep up the great work xx

It sounds like you're doing fantastic and people should learn to keep their paws off...all that poking and stuff - it's rather personal and would annoy me too.

Keep up the great work :)

Hi Anita

I think sometimes it takes the mind some time to catch up with the body. You have lost a lot of weight and obviously people are noticing, you may still be classed as overweight but you really dont have much to go to be a 'healthy' weight.

Re your clothes size, you may have lost more weight in areas where previously you held onto to it. Im quite similar in that I very quickly moved from a size 20 to a 16 without really losing anywhere near the weight I needed to lose.

All the people commenting are probably shocked at your amazing loss but I bet those that matter are proud of you.

Well done and good luck with getting the rest off x

you,ve done really well, and the weight loss you,ve had is obviously shown.
its strange ive lost some weight and as i dont weigh myself anymore i cant tell you how much but i know im still obese. however today i got the best buzz in the world size 14 jeans. it is strange my whole body is changing shape, i cant remember the last time i was a size 14.

i was wearing a size 20 when i had my surgery.

a very happy sallie:D

Hi well done on your great weight loss. I believe that height/weight charts have to be a guide and not rule as everyone is different and people carry off weight differently. for my height 5'8" I should be under 12 stone but many moons ago when I was around 12 stone I wouldn't have wanted to be any less as I was a good shape and evenly preportioned but was starting to get 'drawn in the face'. Get to where YOU feel happiest and stuff everyone else.

Back