• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Excess hair question.

Emmaroo

Milky
Ok I'm really shy about writing this so please don't be mean lol

I have a LOT of excess hair in places I don't want it. I shave every day to get rid of it, and if I don't then it's visable. I'm really ashamed of it and have been for many blood tests about it but nothing has ever shown up apart from me having excess testosterone (doctor said it was because I'm "grossly obese")

So two questions about it.

Has anyone had this problem and did it go away after losing weight?

After surgery how soon will I be able to go into a bathroom on my own to deal with it? Same day I hope lol

I've not got PCOS btw. Just thought I'd add that in there in case anyone thought that was the reason why.

Ok I'm really shy about writing this so please don't be mean lol

I have a LOT of excess hair in places I don't want it. I shave every day to get rid of it, and if I don't then it's visable. I'm really ashamed of it and have been for many blood tests about it but nothing has ever shown up apart from me having excess testosterone (doctor said it was because I'm "grossly obese")

So two questions about it.

Has anyone had this problem and did it go away after losing weight?

After surgery how soon will I be able to go into a bathroom on my own to deal with it? Same day I hope lol

I've not got PCOS btw. Just thought I'd add that in there in case anyone thought that was the reason why.

Hey, Don't be shy Emaroo, We all have stuff we get hung up about; I know I do.

I don't know if I can help you but I was wondering if you could get laser treatment in the areas where it shows.

I have heard that these laser treatments are very effective.

The only other thing is hair removal creams...and some of these lessen the regrowth.

If this is definitely caused by testosterone then why are they not giving you another hormone to counteract that I wonder?

I hope this gets sorted for you soon.

(((hugs)))

I'm a student so I'm not able to afford lazer treatement which sucks seriously.

I get a lot of facial hair, which makes me feel disgusting and like a man. I went to the doctors a lot about it a few years ago, had blood tests as I thought I might have PCOS as I have a lot of the symptoms but the blood test and scans came back saying all that was wrong with me was excess testosterone.

The woman doctor basically told me that it's caused by my weight and everyone has a bit of a tache going on so I've just got to deal with it. It's a fair bit more than that though.

I really just gave up with it. I've tried most things on it bar waxing but I've not tried waxing as I couldn't face letting it grow long enough to wax. :(

I'm a student so I'm not able to afford lazer treatement which sucks seriously.

I get a lot of facial hair, which makes me feel disgusting and like a man. I went to the doctors a lot about it a few years ago, had blood tests as I thought I might have PCOS as I have a lot of the symptoms but the blood test and scans came back saying all that was wrong with me was excess testosterone.

The woman doctor basically told me that it's caused by my weight and everyone has a bit of a tache going on so I've just got to deal with it. It's a fair bit more than that though.

I really just gave up with it. I've tried most things on it bar waxing but I've not tried waxing as I couldn't face letting it grow long enough to wax. :(

I believe that you can get electrolysis on the NHS...You have to get referred by your GP...If it is making your life a misery, don't let the GP fob you off...If she is still nonchalant about your situation, see another doctor.

Hope this helps.

(((hugs)))

I believe that you can get electrolysis on the NHS...You have to get referred by your GP...If it is making your life a misery, don't let the GP fob you off...If she is still nonchalant about your situation, see another doctor.

Hope this helps.

(((hugs)))

Thanks :) Luckily she's not my doctor anymore. I've moved away and I have one who is much better now. I'd been asking the old one for help with my weight and lots of things for years and all she'd say is 'lose some weight, and then come back and I'll help you'. Argh!

It's interesting to know that they do electrolosis on the NHS. I think thats deffo something to look into after I've had my op. :)

Thanks :) Luckily she's not my doctor anymore. I've moved away and I have one who is much better now. I'd been asking the old one for help with my weight and lots of things for years and all she'd say is 'lose some weight, and then come back and I'll help you'. Argh!

It's interesting to know that they do electrolosis on the NHS. I think thats deffo something to look into after I've had my op. :)

When are you having your operation?...Are you having a bypass?

Try getting your referral in now.

(((hugs)))

Hi,
have you tried threading. Most beauty salons do this now and they can do the whole face not just eyebrows, not sure how long the hair has to be but worth looking into.

Do correct me if Im wrong but isnt a side effect of Polycistic ovaries, excess hair growth? See if you can get a referral to a dermatolagist?

It can also be hereditary...my birth mum has a beard, her sister has a beard, their mum has a beard and yes I have one too.

Ok, I also have PCOS which might account for it.

I have lost 5 stone and still have a beard, have to pluck on a daily basis and yes it gets me down too.

I would love laser treatment but its out of my price range, so I make do with tweezers and the occasional hair removal cream to break down their toughness.

It always fascinates me that a tiny stubbly whisker can have a root about half a centimetre long...LOL

Found this on the net:

Excessive hair growth in women is usually from too much male hormone (androgen). A common cause is polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). In most cases, however, the specific cause is never identified. It tends to run in families. In general, hirsutism is a harmless condition. But many women find it bothersome, even embarrassing.

There are a variety of ways to remove unwanted hair:

• Bleaching -- lightening hair to make it less noticeable.
  • Hair removal -- shaving, plucking, waxing, or chemical depilation.
  • Electrolysis -- using electrical current to damage individual hair follicles so they do not grow back. This is expensive and requires multiple treatments.
  • Laser hair removal -- using laser to damage individual hair follicles so they do not grow back. This is expensive and requires multiple treatments.
  • Weight loss -- in overweight women, weight loss can decrease male hormone levels and reduce hair growth.
Birth control pills and anti-androgen medications can also help reduce hair growth. A doctor must prescribe these medications.

Hope this helps - and there was I worried about my hair falling out post surgery - think I will keep my gob shut!

Day of surgery deffo - morning after - depends on how you are feeling but I would think so - they normally hover around outside incase you feel faint

Excess hair

Hiya,I have hair on my chin and was given Vaniqa cream from doctor,did slow hair growth and lessen it but a side affect is you could have thinning of your hair on your head!Which I did so stopped using it.It may not affect you ask your doc.Its about 30 pounds on the internet per tube.So see your doc first.Are you having a bypass and could you take a mirror and razor to use in bed right away if you are that worried?Best wishes anyway!We are all here to chat to about any subject!

I have dark hair and have always had quite thick growth-
Arms- I wax
Legs- I wax or Shave
Facial- I use something called a silkymitt, from superdrug or Boots...essentially is it very fine sandpaper that removes hair. I do this at night and apply moisturiser as it can be quite abrasive.

About 10 years ago I was on a very strict diet with a doctor and got down to my lowest adult weight...until piling back on again...and some! When i was lighter my hair growth was definitely lighter and slower.

I hope this helps? :)

:rolleyes: Hi emmeroo, i love to see threads like this because it makes me feel like i am not alone! I too have facial hair and it makes you feel horrible doesnt it. I too have tried everything! Vaniqa cream from the doctors, waxing, plucking, and laser treatment.
Laser treatment was the only thing that helped me (i have PCOS btw), but i could do with another course of treatment and a few hairs have started to grow back (not as bad as it was though). But i shave them of now. I was told by the lady who gave me the laser treatment that shaving was best because waxing and plucking can stimulated the hair growth.
But you know what its like ladies, it doesnt feel very feminine to be shaving lol :eek:
But you know i dont really mind anymore, its just one of those things and 1 in 3 women have facial hair problems so we are not alone.
I too am worried about going into hospital and not being able to shave though, dont want to start looking like Desperate Dan!!! :rotflmao:
Oh i should also say that the doctor may also put you on the contraceptive pill to help with your hormone levels.

i asked the same question on here about 12 months ago. I have in the past had laser treatment which did a fantastic job but in time they grew back. The answer to your question of does it reduce after weight loss is for me it has but i still have my face waxed every 4 weeks and use vaniqua cream from my GP twice a day. Unlike the previouse poster i havent suffered any hair thinning on my head nor can i see it in the contra indication. My hair thinning came from having my surgery and has now settled. i still have some thick black hairs that i need to pluck on a regular basis between waxing but on the whole it is massivly reduced.
the rest of my body hair has thinned as well i have always had regular waxing and even the beautitian cant get over how thin the regrowth is especially in the bikini area.
Like you i dont have pcos just slightly raised hormone levels assosiated with obesity. Im now 8 months post op have lost nearly 10 stone and have really noticed the difference in the last 2 months.
Hope that helps
carole

A friend of mine haS excess hair growth on her face and back. She has PCOS and is overweight. The doctor said that if she lost a couple of stone that she would be refered for Laser on the NHS. She did this and as a result had laser on the NHS.

My daughter has a real problem with excess hair. I took her to the GP and he had all the blood tests done and they all came back clear. He said she'e just a naturally hairy person but because the hair is dark it shows up more. The tweezers are a must in our house for all the plucking lol. She went to see a female GP and the GP put her on the pill and said this should help. It has helped too. Her facial hair is so much finer now that she's not making her face a mess with all the plucking.

Back