• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

periods and surgery! (sorry gents)

Clare*

Dear ladies ...

I should have posted this weeks ago, but i have only just remembered ....

When i went in for my surgery i was having my time of the month... i was convinced that this would not be an issue

WRONG!

I was not allowed to wear underwear and was told to (gosh this is embarrassing!) "pinch" a sanitary towel between my legs and hold it there ! you are not allowed to use tampons as you may not be able to remove the old one,and therefore risk infection. the embarrassment was crippling, however the nurses were fabulous and didn't bat an eyelid.

I dont mean to make anyone worry , but i thought i should let you know,and dont do what i did and remove the sticky side ! lolololol

:D

Oh Clare .. this must have been mortifying for you, but I doubt the nurses would have thought twice about it. It is after a natural bodily function we all have & with all the op's they do you will not have been the 1st or even the 100th. Thanks for posting this though, sweet. It may help some of us pre op'ers a lot. Hope you have recovered from your shock xx :):)

Oh poor you, Claire!
But to be honest I'm so so so glad that you shared this, because I'm late (not preggers though, cos hubby had snip) and knowing my luck it's bound to happen on Tuesday or Wednesday (surgery is Thursday).

There used to be an unsavoury device called a sanitary belt made by Dr Whites! I remember these very clearly as my periods started when I was only 9 and my mother insisted I wore these belts with Dr Whites pads. Shudder!!! However, in a no brief wearing scenario, the belt (which is very light and stretchy) and a hooped pad might be an idea for some?? :)

Jen1961 said:
There used to be an unsavoury device called a sanitary belt made by Dr Whites! I remember these very clearly as my periods started when I was only 9 and my mother insisted I wore these belts with Dr Whites pads. Shudder!!! However, in a no brief wearing scenario, the belt (which is very light and stretchy) and a hooped pad might be an idea for some?? :)

Omg I remember those lol they were awful!!! Lol

from me phone :D

Clare* said:
Great idea!! ... crikey 9 years old ! wow, that must have been a shock.... can you believe you can still get those belts ?

DR. WHITES sanitary belt: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Beauty

A great idea jen1961 ... I may just get one , you never know! xxx

You will need the lovely 'thick' pads that have loops too, no slim, sticky back ones unfortunately lol!!!

As for being a shock at 9, my mum had told me all about 'menstruating' about a month before it actually happened as she herself was a very early starter. I used to love using the word 'menstruating' as nobody in my class knew what I was talking about and it felt like I had a 'special' secret sigh!! Just turned 50 this week and I'm still darn well having them. I'll prolly have them when I'm 70 lol!!

I know that you can get a tablet off your GP to delay your period because I was going on a romantic weekend with my husband and my period was due the same time, so I went to my GP and explained the situation and she was great and perscribed the tablets, I think there was either 2 or 3, cant remember exactally. But I dont know if you would be allowed to take them by your weight loss DR, I suppose it wont hurt to ask.

lindy62

Hey - I was in the same boat when I went for my surgery - I also, after years of on and off periods, thought it wouldn't be a problem but needless to say I did come on and it lasted a month :( - anyway, the hospital was brilliant and supplied me with some towels, which, although were HUGE, worked out better than using my own cause manouvering after the op was a lil bit difficult but these were easier just to bung in .... apparentlyit's not incommon for a female to menstruate around surgery - something to do with the stress :) xx

Making me smile...op tomorrow so body had to come on today!! Grrrrt

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

And you too kath!! xx

I asked consultant about getting the tablets that delay your periods and he said it was not advisable as there is a risk of DVT with surgery and also a risk of DVT will the meds, so you would be doubling your risk.! x

They never asked so I didn't say, had op with paper pants and tampon...!

They never asked so I didn't say, had op with paper pants and tampon...!

Hellllooo JO ... you OK babe ... had a word with Mr Ackroyd re you hmmm he remembered you ... left an impression obviously (not as much as the one he has left on you though, lol) They didn't ask me either ... must admit not much seems to phase them, phew xxx :D

Well ladies I was right. Mother nature has paid a visit, and I go in at 7 am tomorrow! I'll post back and let you know what (if anything) was said/done about it.

Back