• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Smear tests and funny periods!

Miss hungry

7 stone lighter!
I finally went to the doctors today and had my smear test that I was called to over a year ago.
My reason for putting it off was that I was so embarrassed about my fat body. It has been a weight on my shoulders for ages.
It was over and done with so quickly and I felt so pleased afterwards that I'd finally done it.
My weight has been an excuse to not do things for so long.
Also my usually clockwork periods have been a bit funny for the last few months. I only mention this because my doctor thinks it due to my weightloss, hormones etc.
Blooming doctors, they used to blame everything on my being too overweight, now everthings blamed on my weightloss!

Yup i'm relating on that one.

I have to say my periods were fine up until around Oct last year, since then i had one about 6 weeks ago and nothing else. However i will say that i am approaching that delicate stage of a womans life (age 43 1/2) so it could be hormonal for me too lol xx

since my band my periods have been on a 28 days cycle..whereas before was like 30-33 days.....

smear tests......im crappy at them!!

Get your smear test girls, they may not be the nicest thing in the world but they are so important. Go and see your GP too if anything is 'different'.

A smear test I had picked up pre cancerous cells, Im so glad it did before anything worse occured xx

Get your smear test girls, they may not be the nicest thing in the world but they are so important. Go and see your GP too if anything is 'different'.

A smear test I had picked up pre cancerous cells, Im so glad it did before anything worse occured xx

I second that
I had pre-cancerous cells and ended up with a cone biopsy

i agree go for your smears dont leave it ive just had lletz treatment yesterday to remove pre-cancerous cells xx

i had been bleeding since September 2010 after I miscarried. I had the coil put in in October and my op December and finally I am having bleed free days so the two have helped my hormones.
Smears are very important and you really should not put them off hun x

Girls from one who has had womb cancer DON'T ignore any changes !! bleeding more, clots,irreg periods and get the smear test done !! I put sorting my health out because my sister died and my mother had altzhimers and died 6 months later, then we moved house and all the time i was bleeding non stop with clots. I had a coil fitted and a D&C, 2 weeks later the coil was removed due to pain and my hystolgy came back,Was in hospital 2 weeks later at 27stone having major surgery !! i ended up with stage 2B womb cancer and a hystorectmy which saved my life so PLEASE don't be as stupid as me xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ive had calls for my test , but how do you book it mid cycle when you havn't had a period for 3 yrs ??????

sorry to hear that flowerofshona hope you ok now hun xx pandora id just ring your docs and get some advice hun xx

Having read all of your experiences I'm going to book my test - not had one for years due to gaining weight and being embarrassed. I should know better because I've had treatment for pre cancerous cells previously and am supposed to have them more regularly than advised.

Phatmomma, I wish 'that delicate stage' would arrive for me, I'm 46 and as regular as clockwork (except for my body kindly skipping one for my operation/recovery)

Ladies - being the person on the other end of the smear, all be reassured most people feel embarrassed, I often get comments like "oh sorry my waxing is due next week", "oh sorry I forgot to shave my legs" etc I always reply "please don't worry, if I am looking at your legs/odd socks - I'm looking in the wrong place for your cervix!"
It's actually, no harder to do a smear on an overweight person than it is on an underweight - and I promise you we don't look at peoples fat bits, stretch marks, hair styles etc - we are only interested in finding the cervix and like a swat team "get in and out as fast as possible" as we know that most women feel embarrassed and don't like it...
However they all then say " OH IT WAS NOT AS BAD AS I THOUGHT IT WAS GOING TO BE" !
SO go and book your overdue smears ladies - it could be life saving! x

Well said Dani xxxx

I am a survivor of uterine cancer and would second, third and forth everything said here. I thank god everyday that I went to see my very excellent doctor who spotted my scant symptoms and took action.

The alternative is too awful to consider :(

Back