• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Plastic surgery

MariaD512

I'm still so fresh out of the hospital from my sleeve. However, I am already worried about how my body will look after significant weight loss. Has anyone had plastic surgery since wls?

I had my op June 22nd and already have loose skin but it's a known post surgery fact and we either have to live with it or have cosmetic surgery sometime in the future.

Personally I fully intend to have the cosmetic surgey to have everything tightened up esp my belly!!

I feel the same way. I definitely will get the skin removed from the tummy area. Not sure what else I want but I have a few ideas. Have you looked into any of it yet?

I feel the same way. I definitely will get the skin removed from the tummy area. Not sure what else I want but I have a few ideas. Have you looked into any of it yet?

I haven't looked into it at all. I'm told that I can get the belly done in my area on the NHS but that it's a long long wait.

Hi Guys, I live in the same area as lessoflisa, and I was told that once my weight has been stable for a year I can get a tummy tuck, boob lift and my bingo wings sorted all courtesey of the NHS, by the time they have finished with me I will look like Kelly Brooke!!!!

Hi Guys, I live in the same area as lessoflisa, and I was told that once my weight has been stable for a year I can get a tummy tuck, boob lift and my bingo wings sorted all courtesey of the NHS, by the time they have finished with me I will look like Kelly Brooke!!!!

Wow, which hospital are you under?

Think I need to move.

House for sale Devon - open to offers or will swap for house in any area where plastics are available on NHS ;-)

Personally I think that is ridiculous! How is it some areas won't do plastics at all even in major cases and some will do all that? Where is the parity?
I can totally understand tummy due to the health benefits but boobs and wings are aesthetic at best, if you want it pay for it! Would much rather see NHS money go on life saving treatment. Sorry if that sounds harsh.

Disagree with you on the wings hon. If your in a physical job it can cause real issues.

Close friend had bypass on NHS at a major London hosp about eight years ago, recommended by GP. One of his first questions when he got to see his surgeon was about an apronectomy as he was carrying all his excess weight (10stone +) in his belly, and therefore knew his loose skin would be a major issue. He was told he would have it done when he was at target. He had the op and got his weight down really quickly and was so positive about what he'd achieved and felt great in himself. He went to see the surgeon for a follow-up and to ask how long he'd have to wait for the apronectomy, only to be told the funding wasn't there anymore. The blow was so severe he's lost his way, regained significant amounts of weight and health conditions he had been free from, and has a very low self-confidence now, probably lower than when he was first large. Moving the goal posts is just so wrong.

That is harsh to suddenly take that away from him when he worked so hard to get it. To be fair, if they had not have offered it I would pay for it myself, but it will be a couple of years down the line as I have to get to target and be stable for a year, then they will do it. I am at Darlington general for those who were asking, and I know people say the NHS money should be spent on life saving ops etc, but I knew a girl who had this done, when she lost all the weight and had lots of excess skin it actually made her depressed, she attempted to take her own life because she could see no way of being able to save for the surgery that she wanted to help with her confidence. Like I said I would pay for it myself, but I work full time and pay into the NHS every month, I barely use it, yet there are people in this country who use it alot and never pay a penny in, so why should I not take it if it offered to me?

Really don't get that argument. I pay into the NHS every month because you work? Most of us do. Some don't because they can't. I totally agree that if they have been told that they can have it goals shouldn't shift. My argument is that people should not be told that it is available and that is op given on NHS, the opp should be done, a contract signed that says you won't ask for plastics. How much money went into making that extra skin? The health benefits are the lack of weight, the psychology should also be around living with the damage that you have caused your own body, and not looking for the NHS to help once more. That is harsh but where do they stop? Full body plastics?

I think they should do a case by case assessment following some nationally set guidelines so the postcode lottery element of it shouldn't exist. I expect some people have quite severe loose skin which really affects them physically and emotionally and I have some sympathy for them getting NHS help. I reckon my loose skin will be cosmetic and embarrassing to me so I plan to pay for the plastics myself when/if I can afford it.

Alas there isn't enough money for everyone... tbh I am grateful to be getting the wls on the nhs!

I don't know whether mine will be funded or not.. But if you can get it for free then best of luck. At the time I didn't think I would want more surgery but I know I will change my mind in another 12 months.
Think people are being harsh for the lady who may get it funded. Good luck to you my dear!

Ive recently had my year check up and was told to wait another 6 months before seeing if i could get a referral on nhs for plastics after my bypass

Personally I think that is ridiculous! How is it some areas won't do plastics at all even in major cases and some will do all that? Where is the parity?
I can totally understand tummy due to the health benefits but boobs and wings are aesthetic at best, if you want it pay for it! Would much rather see NHS money go on life saving treatment. Sorry if that sounds harsh.

Isn't that the same with WLS though? it may have changed with the new funding regime BUT there was a very real and some would say unfair variation of funding criteria. A postcode lottery indeed :confused:

Back