• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Considering the sleeve

With the sleeve -- possibly -- very slight more allowance for eating "not good choice" foods .... but on the other hand NO constant B12 injections every 3 months, and vigilant monitoring against vitamin and mineral

I have to have 3 monthly B12 injections and still am monitored. Same after care as with a bypass in the Sheffield PCT

I have to have 3 monthly B12 injections and still am monitored. Same after care as with a bypass in the Sheffield PCT

Oh, thanks for that Mixman. I don't *think* that is the case at the Whittington -- but I will check, because if it is that scrubs off one of the things I thought was an "advantage" of the sleeve.

In birmingham, they won't fund switching from Band to bypass etc

I am funny, as unlike the other lady I am glad that I wont want to eat what I used to eat. (other than curry of course lol)

I feel if I could eat nearly what I can now, it's pointless me having major surgery.

My mate who had the sleeve only can manage very little portions. That's all I would want to be able to do. Hopefully with my bypass, that will be so :)

Internet forums are fantastic areas for support and information, but one thing I have found is the inconsistencys between information given out.

I do a monthly presentation in Sheffield to all the new pre-oppers in that area and I remember the time before last there was one woman, who had come with, I think, her sister, and it was as if there was a light turned on in her eyes. She had had a sleeve funded privately at the Spire in Leeds and she hadn't been told she could dump. When we got onto the feelings that are associated with dumping she couldn't believe this and she realised why she kept having these feelings. A lot of sleevers don't dump, but a lot do too.

Last edited:
I lost 12 stone with sleeve, a further 6 with the switch - never dumped and have been stable for 2 years. Lost 100% of excess weight, bmi is now 26 and I've never been healthier. I worked at it, it wasn't a walk in the park but the best thing I ever did.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Cicca said:
I lost 12 stone with sleeve, a further 6 with the switch - never dumped and have been stable for 2 years. Lost 100% of excess weight, bmi is now 26 and I've never been healthier. I worked at it, it wasn't a walk in the park but the best thing I ever did.

Well done!!!! Xxx

This is all very interesting, as I am tossing up between sleeve and bypass, and that information about dumping is very helpful indeed x

Hello all. Have had my consultation today, with the surgeon I want to go with, and I want the sleeve. We both agreed that was right for me.

Looking at late January.

Yay!

Cicca, Wow you must feel like you are on a totally new journey - wishing you health and happiness. Cost x

Hello all. Have had my consultation today, with the surgeon I want to go with, and I want the sleeve. We both agreed that was right for me.

Glad you and your surgeon were able to agree on the same thing, Penelope!

I will await to hear what my NHS surgeon says in January. I am aware that due to my higher BMI and Type 2 diabetes surgeons are more *likely* to favour the full bypass -- but I won't know for sure until I actually discuss this with him in January at my pre-op (hoping for surgery early March).

I had my Sleeve done in July 2011, its taken my head and eyes a while(in terms of food portions) to get used to my new tummy but will do it over and over again if i had to. My weightloss is slow compared to others on here......................but the good thing is i have not put on weight once, either i stay d same or lose something week after week. All the best with your journey.
jayxx

Glad you and your surgeon were able to agree on the same thing, Penelope!

I will await to hear what my NHS surgeon says in January. I am aware that due to my higher BMI and Type 2 diabetes surgeons are more *likely* to favour the full bypass -- but I won't know for sure until I actually discuss this with him in January at my pre-op (hoping for surgery early March).

i going for the sleeve cause me and my surgeon thought it was best for me due to all my health problems and high Bmi 63 , xx

I am a pre op and on day 7 of the pre op diet not doing to bad so far. I am due to have a sleeve op done on the 15/12/12 feeling I know am doing the right thing but naturally feeling aphensive otherwise I am really happy. I am also really lucky to have a wonderfully supportive hubby who was a chef in the army so I do not go into the kitchenq. How lucky am I! Also bless her my daughter whose 24 when I started the pre op diet she started it too! She is 14st so thought she could shift a few pounds! But was unable too do it!
I must admit I had my doubts about doing it without slipping I almost did the other day
But gave the cr.acker to the dog thank god he was there lol ! I feel like I have lost some weight but my only go up 30 st so I cannot check. I am due at the hospital on the 9/12/12. Perhaps I can get weighed then !

Nice one Staruk, keep at it, it will hopefully be the last "diet" of a restrictive, hungry, painful nature you will ever do! I understand it eases up a bit after a few days too x

Ur doin great hun well dun ;) x

I had my sleeve done on 30/06/2011. I had lost 6 stone in the preceding 5 months, and have now lost nearly 11 stone.

I am one of the lucky ones. No dumping, no B12 injections, no hair loss, no depression, just iron tablets and Omeprazole for life. No more Lisinopril, no more Metformin, no more statins.

My weight loss has now all but plateaued. I occasionally drop another half a kilo and and am nearly just overweight!!

The sleeve was right for me. But, just like diet and exercise it is just another tool in your armoury. If you don't work with it, it won't work for you.

HTH
Chris

Hi it does seem that the sleeve is becoming popular and i dicussed this with my surgeon Mr Amouri at salford. He was not keen on me having one due to my eating habits and me being a diabetic. He did say that he to is doing more sleeves than he used to but he wanted me to have the bypass. One of the things that i was told is that if I did start to put the weight back on and wanted to continue to the bypass then it would be almost impossible to get further funding to have this done. I feel that the bypass was best for me because i do feel hunger quite alot and i am the kind of eater that if i try a little i want the lot :) so i haven't tested a little choc as i would eat the whole bloody bar. Never mind in the next life i will be a super model who can eat what she wants when she wants, oh and of course drink what i want lol. Good luck t everyone on your Journey and what ever you decide i'm sure will be the best descision for you.xx

Back