• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Considering the sleeve

Sharonimo

Sleeve to Bypass
Hi peeps,

I'm currently scheduled to have a full bypass but have started to wonder about the gastric sleeve.

I know some people prefer the band because they don't like the idea of a part of their body being cut out .... for me I have never liked the idea of a an alien bit of plastic being added to my stomach .... and originally thought the full "gastric bypass" would be great because I am totally happy for them to *chuck* half my stomach (and intestines) away !!!

But I now learn that it is only with the gastric sleeve that the removed section of the stomach actually gets pulled out and discarded.

I *know* that if I do choose the sleeve, the weight loss might be slightly slower than with RNY (due to only affecting restriction and not also causing malabsorption) .... but obviously each op does have advantages and disadvantages.

So, although I *will* discuss this again with my surgeon on 16 Jan, I am curious to hear opinions from:

1. Any other peeps who *chose* the sleeve themselves (as opposed to having had the decision imposed on you by the surgeon's choice)

2. Six or 12 month post-op sleevies how you have fared, and weight loss achieved after 6 / 12 /18 months.

Many thanks.

P.S. If I do not respond for 24 hours, bear with me (v busy at mo and only snatching a few mins online after midnight) .... I will read all replies -- THANKS.

I also really liked the fact that the gastric sleeve op removes the part of the stomach which secretes ghrelin (the hunger hormone) as for me if I could avoid being (almost) constantly hungry that would be bliss !!

images.jpg

Anyway, am attempting to attach 2 pics which demonstrate, although it is the first time I have attempted to attach photos.

gastric_sleeve.gif

Well, almost got the hang of it .... :rolleyes:

Attachments

• roux-en-y-gastric-bypass.jpg
    roux-en-y-gastric-bypass.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 26
  • gastric_sleeve.jpg
    gastric_sleeve.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 28
Hi Sharonimo

I had a sleeve done on 21/05/2011 and to date I've lost 6st 7lbs :)
According to the surgeon I've already lost 85% of my excess body weight and may well go on to lose 100%. I'd thoroughly recommend the sleeve! Xx

Thanks, Luckyla !!

Anyone else ...? Surely there are a few more sleevie peeps?

I had the sleeve six weeks and to date I've lost over three stone, and am doing really well!

Had mine 7 weeks ago, have had good days bad days but that me with sensitive new tum, have lost nearly 3 stone x would not change it

Sharonimo said:
Hi peeps,

I'm currently scheduled to have a full bypass but have started to wonder about the gastric sleeve.

I know some people prefer the band because they don't like the idea of a part of their body being cut out .... for me I have never liked the idea of a an alien bit of plastic being added to my stomach .... and originally thought the full "gastric bypass" would be great because I am totally happy for them to *chuck* half my stomach (and intestines) away !!!

But I now learn that it is only with the gastric sleeve that the removed section of the stomach actually gets pulled out and discarded.

I *know* that if I do choose the sleeve, the weight loss might be slightly slower than with RNY (due to only affecting restriction and not also causing malabsorption) .... but obviously each op does have advantages and disadvantages.

So, although I *will* discuss this again with my surgeon on 16 Jan, I am curious to hear opinions from:

1. Any other peeps who *chose* the sleeve themselves (as opposed to having had the decision imposed on you by the surgeon's choice)

2. Six or 12 month post-op sleevies how you have fared, and weight loss achieved after 6 / 12 /18 months.

Many thanks.

P.S. If I do not respond for 24 hours, bear with me (v busy at mo and only snatching a few mins online after midnight) .... I will read all replies -- THANKS.

Can't wait to get my sleeve , hears so much good things about the sleeve

Hi Sharon. My friend had a sleeve and she's really happy with it, she's lost loads of weight. With a bypass you are never hungry again as you don't use that part of your stomach anymore. The large part of the stomach that is left still secretes the digestive juices which travel along the intestine to join the food where it joins on again. If that makes sense. The dietician told us again tonight that the most inportant thing is to remember to eat and to set your alarm on your mobile if you keep forgetting.

Hope that helps.
Love Kate x

i had my sleeve op 6 weeks ago and its the best thing i have done, its taking me a little while to get used to the eating habbits but to date i have lost nearly 3 stone!! it feels weird not been hungry as well haha x

I asked my surgeon about the sleeve. Bit he said at my hospital there is only the option of band or bypass. So I stuck to bypass. Band was my original choice in 2010. But changed my mind in July/august 2010.

Good luck with whatever you go with :)

A friend of mine who had a sleeve in August was telling me how fab it was last week as she had been able to eat 1.5 fajhitas and 3 after eights and how great it was that she doesn't get the dumping thing. Well yeah ok but I'm rather hoping that I will because I don't have the will power not to eat those things. I think that the weight loss with both procedures are fab though and right up until the week before my op I was still asking myself sleeve or bypass.

Kate x

Mrs Quiggle said:
A friend of mine who had a sleeve in August was telling me how fab it was last week as she had been able to eat 1.5 fajhitas and 3 after eights and how great it was that she doesn't get the dumping thing. Well yeah ok but I'm rather hoping that I will because I don't have the will power not to eat those things. I think that the weight loss with both procedures are fab though and right up until the week before my op I was still asking myself sleeve or bypass.

Kate x

That's what I DON'T want to be able to do lol

Do you loose the apetite completely? Does that mean that you don't enjoy eating at all? What kind of things are you eating now? Can you eat normal food? Sorry for all the questions but I am thinking of having the sleeve but worry that i will feel completely off food altogether.

Do you loose the apetite completely? Does that mean that you don't enjoy eating at all? What kind of things are you eating now? Can you eat normal food? Sorry for all the questions but I am thinking of having the sleeve but worry that i will feel completely off food altogether.

My friend eats everything she used to eat before her op just in much smaller quantities. 2 months out we went to Wetherspoons and she had a crispy chicken wrap or something and ate 3/4 of it.

Kate x

Hello all, ltns.

I'm over 2 years after a sleeve op. At my lightest, 15st, I had lost 16st 12lb. I lost 15 stone in 13 months, but I worked hard for it.

Just like any of the 3 main operations, you only get good results if you follow the advice.

Yes you can dump with the sleeve, I did on pineapple!

Yes you do lose your appetite but you won't lose your head hunger. A lot of the long term problems are psychological. I am struggling at the moment as I didn't get to where I wanted to be and I've been feeling angry at myself.

I have a friend also who have had the sleeve and they have had a good weight loss,
she has lost 8 stone in 6mths and is still losing the lbs , and never fells hungry , she sets her alarm to eat, and she say it the best thing she done ,

i wanted the bypass but due to my high BMI of 63 my surgeon wants me to have the sleeve which i dont mind now after reading and hearing good things about the sleeve

Thanks all for your replies.

There are obviously advantages of both .... bypass may cause you greater restriction / dumping syndrome / therefore cause you to stick to healthy eating more.

With the sleeve -- possibly -- very slight more allowance for eating "not good choice" foods .... but on the other hand NO constant B12 injections every 3 months, and vigilant monitoring against vitamin and mineral deficiencies.

This choice is still a personal one (for all of us) and I want to discuss further with my surgeon at my review meeting in January .... I also want to ask in that review what *if* I end up needing my sleeve converted into a full bypass after 18 months? **

** I have heard of at least one person having this done. The downside of this is, of course, you have to go thru the stage of being referrd by GP and getting PCT funding again, and waiting on this list .... again.

But it would mean that the initial op next Spring would be a slightly less daunting op (and less worry about having to take all the special vitamin + mineral supplements and get the 3 monthly injections etc) ..... and if I *could* lose sufficient weight with the sleeve and not need the full bypass, that would make things a bit easier for me.

(As some of you know I live alone in difficult personal accommodation circumstances with little support and possibly having the slightly less invasive op might also make things a bit easier for me to cope with.)

Back