• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My pre-op journey

kateatonic

Hi everyone!

I am new to the site and thought it would be good to start recording my journey here. I am 33 years old, 5'4" and 290lbs. I have tried many of the diets that everyone else has tried, but am never successful at keeping the weight off for any length of time.
I have a good friend at work who had the gastric sleeve done, and loved it. After hearing about her success i went to my doctor to ask about weight loss surgery, and he referred me to the bariatric institute.

Never in my life would have thought that i would consider weight loss surgery. I faint at needles, reading eye charts, giving blood or even visiting people in the hospital. Seriously. I have been trying to overcome my fears of hospitals, drs, blood, etc. i have made some progress (the last time i got a needle i didn't faint, though i did lay down).
This fear started when i was very young. I was very sick as a child, and in the hospital for a period of time. It was traumatic for me to be in pain, and have no control. I didn't understand that though they caused me pain, they did so to save my life. Even though i understand that now mentally, it takes me a bit to catch up. My body and mind react automatically. I have found some coping mechanisms, and have tried to face some of my fears head on. I don't want them to control me.

I know that my health isn't great, but it could also be much worse, and if i continue this way it will get much worse. I have fibromyalgia, and i ache much of the time, with the most severe pain at night. Also, this past year i have had a lot of pain in my back, and put my back out once every month or so. I am tired of the pain and the fear of having a stroke or heart attack looming over me. Like its just a matter of time till i am in a hospital when its too late for me to make things better. I want another chance.

My biggest fear is that my depression will get out of control. Right now i take 300 milligrams of luvox per day. I have done so for the past 17 yrs. i am unable to come off of it (have tried many times and even tried switching meds). But i no longer produce serotonin anymore. I will need this medication for life. My largest concern is the absorption of the pill after surgery. I will be going for rny gastric bypass.

I had my information session yesterday, but i didn't learn anything new as i have already read 3 books on the subject and i have visited this site so much lol. What a great resource and great people here :).

Thanks for listening, and if anyone has experience with antidepressants after rny, please let me know how it went for you!

Well done to you for deciding to make a change!!! I had a sleeve 8 months ago and have lost 7 stone 2 pounds gone from a size 26/28 to a size 18 and am loving it!!! Can't help much with the absorption issues, but I know having a sleeve allows you to absorb more. Just wanted to say hi and welcome, and good luck for your journey xx
Love salliebeth xxx

Welcome to the site and well done for facing your fears to take this positive step. I am on a different antidepressant to you and after almost six weeks have not felt any different yet. I will be working closely with my GP and bariatric team to monitor this - so hopefully you won't have too many problems.

Good morning
Welcome to a great place well done on taking your first of many steps to a better you wishing you all the very best

Back