• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Please write back-had surgery-need advice!

dizzybizzi

Hey all, I couldn't work out how to create a new thread and i haven't got the energy to work it out-so I am doing it in 'introduce yourself here'.

I had my op on thurs and came out of hosp today. Was sick last night. The thought of food is making me gag. My main problem is this chronic diorreaha type thing, but I am not actually going to the toilet. I did have a suppositary pain killer this morn so that prob aint helping.
Did anyone else have this? how long will it last? I just wanna cry and be sick-all whilst sitting on the toilet! x

o nooo sweets, id say your body has gone through such a traumatic time, and that time will be a great healer, hopefully a post op bypasser will be along shortly, but id say everything your describing is normal for this type of surgery....if tomorrow things havent settled then ring your team, i hope you can sleep tonight xx

Hi Dizzy - I am afraid I can't help but didn't want to read and run - maybe you should call your team at the hospital - if you don't feel right then you need to get it checked out asap!

Are you sticking strictly to a fluid only diet? xx

thank u everyone. I appreciate u replying.
I have only had what they gave me in hosp to eat today-can't face anything else. I am up and down like a yo yo tho to the toilet. My sides are now hurting! Scrrrrrreeeeaaaaaammmmmmm x

I know that trapped wind can sometimes cause your symptoms too - unfortunately we can't really take anything at this stage to stop the trapped wind but pain killers should help - did the hospital send you home with some liquid ibuprofen or soluble paracetamol etc? x

You poor mite - hope you feel better soon xx

The toilet thing sounds like overflow from constipation, try some Glycerol supposeteries xx

Sorry to hear of your troubles (((hugs))) sorry i can't help i suffered the other way constipation but its normal to have toilet troubles. Give ur team a bell love they will be able to help xxx

Hi Dizzy, sorry to hear of your difficulties. I couldn't quite work out what is happening as like most men we don't do subtleties (lol) but it sounds like your symptoms are normal-ish for this type of surgery. Due to the harsh nature of what you have had done your digestive system has gone to pot for the time being, however it will repair, heal and recover in time. I remember the First 2 weeks after my by-pass I was constantly on the loo and thought it would never stop (including cramps, wind, nausia etc) but it will pass, for sure. What you need to do more than anything is keep your fluids up. I know if you are feeling sick ( as I was) putting anything in your mouth is a problem at first, however some of your constipation may be caused by lack of fluid, so make sure you drink plenty of clear fluids to keep yourself hydrated, you can do without food, but you must keep drinking chick !. Keep us posted on how you are doing, I'm sure that thinks will settle down soon, Matt x

Oh dear hun...i feel for you. Hope you are feeling alittle better today and i also think a ring to your team wouldn't hurt anything. Even if it only puts your mind at ease that this is normal x

Thank u all so much.
I am actually feeling a bit better today already. The toilet problems have stopped so that is a relief! Food today has been a chore and my mum has literally just had to feed me! I felt like i was going to be sick after every mouth full but luckily I wasn't. I am trying to drink lots but it is hard-as u know Matt!
I am so so tired but hopefully after another good sleep tonight I will feel much better in the morning.
Thank u everyone x

Hi Dizzy, it took me a couple of weeks for my bowels to settle and they still haven't really gone into a routine after 3 weeks, but it's time you need love... let all the swelling and healing do it's thing and try and rest and recover peacefully. Take it easy and keep sipping and taking your fluids... the body has a great way of healing and correcting itself.

Love and hugs Angel xxx

Thanks Bev, my tummy has stopped exploding now thank God!
I managed all three meals today, just got one more snack to go. Food isn't making me feel as sick already so I am def on the road to recovery! Yay!
Bit worried that my bra is baggy already...bye bye boobs!!!! x

Back