• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

port site pain

lousarah

Hi guys,

Just wondered how long your port sites hurt for. If I sit forward or sit cross legged or bend over its sore but im not sure if that is normal or due to the infection.

Thanks xxx

Hi guys,

Just wondered how long your port sites hurt for. If I sit forward or sit cross legged or bend over its sore but im not sure if that is normal or due to the infection.

Thanks xxx

Hi lousarah I'm six months post op and still sometimes my port can feel tender x

I didn't encounter any particular port area pain after it was fitted. It was the area that was most tender and uncomfortable when i tried sleeping on my side from about day 5.

The only time I've really encountered pain in that area was when I started hitting the gym and hadn't been told to avoid sit ups! As such, I felt like someone had reached in and stomped on my insides and put it back in - an emergency visit to the provider we discovered it was due to the exercise pulling on the muscles etc where the port is attached.

Stopping the sit ups helped LOL

I've got an odd kind of pain around that area right now, because when I bend over, I can feel my port moving.

Thanks TopKat and Meggie

I went back to see the nurse today and the port site incision is still infected. She says I dont need more antibiotics (thank goodness) but she put an iodine patch thing on with a new water proof plaster. My dear God does the iodine thing HURT specially when I press the plaster against my skin (not on purpose lol).

Still not lost any more weight, have stayed the same, but I seem to be losing inches as the jeans I wore on Saturday are now falling down where as on Saturday it was a triumph for them to do up and to be into a smaller pair.

The nurse did give me the thumbs up for Chessington on Monday though so YAY I am so excited. Its my partners birthday and I am getting him Maccy D's breakfast (I cant face it anymore lol, im loving chocolate slimfast made up weak as suggested by a certain Top Kat =) ), then to chessington for the day, then we are going to his parents for chinese. I am going to have an ommlette (Fooyung?) as a treat. Then Tuesday we are going to the Zoo! =D

Love to all my WLS buddies xxx

I had pain for 2 months.

Can do sit-ups easily now. Once my gut was reduced the port made no difference. Do endless gym classes that have things like that in it now. My husband constantly admires Jessica Ennis's stomach, sadly just a dream no matter how many sit-ups I do.

Glad to hear they got it checked out and that the watered down slim fast is helping LOL I can't stomach shakes at all (bad experience with lighterlife!) but I could manage crusha if it was pretty weak when i was on liquids only.

Be careful with ommelette, I say this because a LOT of people have difficulties in being able to digest egg in different forms with a band. I was ok during my first 6 months, but then I had a 1.5ml fill and it took me from having no restriction to not being able to eat hardly anything. As it is, omelettes are completely off the menu, so is scrambled, and boiled. Although I can manage a gently poached egg . .

Just take it easy . . . some foods you may be able to eat cooked in a certain way and not others, its a lot of trying it out, but eating certain foods at home for the first time is always a good idea, as its no fun being out and about eating something and then finding it won't go down. (believe me, I know that one from experience during recent weeks!)

And another hint . . .measure yourself, set up a graph, because you may find that you don't lose pounds, but do change shape and lose inches. Having it recorded regularly (even once a month) will really help you have that as well :)

As far as the sit ups that thinnerjemima mentioned above, the main man at my provider discourages any bander from doing sit ups once a band is in place . . .I use a machine at the gym which does the same thing, however, if I try to use it now, I feel the port starting to move . . .its just not worth the risk IMHO.

im 4 yrs post op and still get the odd ouchy with my port especially if i lean over side of bed and rub against it , i cant eat eggs in any form they always give me trouble as does chowmein and rice, be carefull with sauces as well they can be calorie laden

Thanks moomoo ill think carefully about what I have. I phoned the dietician today, spoke to one I hadnt before. When I said I hadnt lost for nine days he said are you eating junk food...? No!! Im upset that when I phoned for support he just assumed I was scoffing crap. Im not hungry... I dread the day when my appetite does come back but for now im living on a slimfast, baby food egg custard and a weetabix. Feeling like they gave me the op but think im going to fail.

Back