• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

portsmouth

buglady

hi my name is alison and this is my first step(i feel!) towards the rest of my life!! i sound like someone in aa!! well i have been thinking about weight loss surgery for the past year now and have looked anonymosly at various chatrooms etc on weight loss surgery and would just like advice on A if i will get funding on the nhs B how do i get funding on the nhs and C do i go for a band or a complete bypass ?? im 35 weigh prob 21 22 stone i havnt dared get on my scales for months i have a big problem with portion control i have tried 2 types of slimming tablets the cambridge diet and the usual weight watchers etc a year and a half ago i lost just under 4 stone put it back on and more prob and i dont want to go on the constant loose weight gain weight loose weight circle im 35 and want to get a life. any tips anybody i cant say im depressed but now is the time to take my body and life in my hands!! ps hi every one i have read some very inspiring storys i hope to be with you all very soon!:wave_cry:

here's a thread with some useful sites on that you may find helpful with funding issues and things, you need to know your bmi (body max index) in order to help you figure out whether you meet nhs funding criteria there is also a link here to work out your bmi you need to know your height and your weight.
With regard to band or bypass, the bypass is usually used on people with a bmi of 50 or more, and a band below 50, having said that there are no rules set in concrete and are just a guideline. You need to also take into consideration what type of foods you eat most of, your portion size, your will power and also your relationship with food. I am borderline and was told by the surgical team that I could have either but my pct wouldn't fund a second op if the band didn't work. I lack portion control but eat the wrong foods I love fatty and high sugar sweet food. I am also an emotional eater and know that when I eat for emotional reasons my will power and sense of reasoning goes out the window and I would be able to cheat the band. with the bypass there is more chance of dumping and therefore a physical thing stopping me from eating the wrong food.

As regards to getting funding every PCT is different if you click on the BOSPA link in the thread I have given you above it will show you what criteria you must meet to be eligible for funding. Afte checking this info you need to go and see your gp I would advise you take a copy of the nice guidelines and also what your pct require with you as most gp's aren't familiar with the process.

I will leave it there for the moment as this has a danger of turning into a novel and you will asleep in no time lol.

If you've got anymore questions just ask away.

http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/66792-nhs-funding-surgery-where-start.html

hi Alison

Terri has given you tonnes to get you started so it just leaves me to say welcome to Mini's and good luck with your journey x

hi and welcome are you from portsmouth if yes im from chichester and i have been banded and always happy to have a coffee sometime and talk you thru that and there are so many lovely bypassers on here to answer your questions. i was 25 stone when i started and it slowly coming down so i know as we all do how you feel good luck x

Hi Alison, welcome to Mini's :)

The thread Terri gave you is a great resource for just starting out, you should find lots of answers from there but if you get stuck just shout and someone will help you out.

Shel

Hi and welcome to mini's this is one of the best steps you can take, you willfind lots of informatiom, support and advice here

Hi welcome to minis,
Tes has give some great advice and I can't really add to that, but wanted to wish you all the best. You have certainly started in the right place here, with lots of friendly help and advice.

Hi! Welcome and I too have nothing to add after such a great post from Tes. There are so many warm and wise people on here, any question you have will be answered!
Lx

thanks for all your comments the first step is to make an appoinment for the drs im working so much at the mo so half term week is the time i will make ,i live in hampshire is there any key words or tips on what to say to the doctor i am really serious just need to get it across to him!!!

Hi

I wanted to say hello and welcome. I have just joined too.

I have just had the band op (13th January) and have a BMI of 57!!!! I was too much of a wimp to have the bypass.

I am in Winchester so similarly would be really happy to meet up for a chat and coffee.

x

Hi and welcome. I am new myself, only joined a couple of days ago and everyone has been great. Good luck with whichever you choose and I hope you manage to get the funding for it. xx

Hello
I am 32 (almost 33) and have been yo-yoing for years and after the birth of my 3rd child in November 07 I decided it was time to sort out my weight one last time, I went back on xenical (weight loss tablet) I had lost a few stone with it a few years earlier and then my Dr suggested WLS and I am now on the way for a band fitted at hope hospital in August - September this year.
After the birth of my son I was at my heaviest at 20 stone 5lb. I am 5ft4and a half.
My BMI is around 45 I think.
Good luck xxxx
Speak to your GP its the first step and a weight off you mind pardon the punn

To all you new pips, this is a wonderful forum and you will chat with loads of top people.....so again welcome and good luck with your journey's. x

Back