• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

post op agany

sylvercraft

Hi, Can anyone help me, my wife went in and had the gastric bypass monday, came home wednesday, and had to take her to a&e this morning as she's having terrible stomach pains. she hasn't been for poo since monday morning before she went to hospital and all she has had to eat since she came out is soup, plenty of water, and now is on horlicks.
Can anyone please advise on the best way to get rid of this gas that was pumped into her and best thing to drink to get all her vitamins. since she came home she hasn't been able to sleep in her bed because of the pain and she has been having to sleep downstairs in the chair.
Any advise would be most welcome.
Many thanks.
P.S. anyone about to have this surgery please don't be put off by this, i'm sure it's normal.

Sorry to hear about her pain, simply the best way to get rid of the gas is to walk around as much as she can.

Drink wise, I find water with lime cordial suits me, however it is down to personal taste.

Feel free to keep posting to ask questions, loads will be on here soon to offer advise.

hi silver i have not had my surgery yet but you gain a mountain of knowledge on this site.
for the gas that is pumped in juring surgery i have heard peolpe sucking on things like windezz.
and as for going the toilet not much is going in so not much will come out, so long as she is still peeing.

i really do hope this is of some help, and someone a little bit further on who has had surgery will be along shortly to help with your question, and also about the multivitamins and iorn supplements your wife can take because she can not get enough from the food she has at the moment.

you take care and i do hope your wife feels alot better soon. xxxx

I was in unctontrollable pain post op I wasn't passing wind through my bum I had suppositires and was fine the next day.

Hope she feels better soon

Im still on fluid stage and having soups, Horlicks, water and hot drinks. I have not had any pain but kept mobile to get rid of wind. And as for bowels it took a while to get going I think was about 6 days after surgery. I had my surgery 11 days ago. I hope things settle down for your wife.

Hi, dont know if this will help but when hubby was done he took some gripe water for the wind which helped, and when he couldnt go to the loo like your wife he had some Dulcoease capsules which worked a treat and he still keeps some handy now just in case, and your wife will be put on iron and vitamins. I know how you feel l was just the same worried sick and posted lots on here when l didnt know what to do to help him. All l can say is they are a great bunch on here and will help you all they can, hope she feels better soon x

Last edited:
Hi, Can anyone help me, my wife went in and had the gastric bypass monday, came home wednesday, and had to take her to a&e this morning as she's having terrible stomach pains. she hasn't been for poo since monday morning before she went to hospital and all she has had to eat since she came out is soup, plenty of water, and now is on horlicks.
Can anyone please advise on the best way to get rid of this gas that was pumped into her and best thing to drink to get all her vitamins. since she came home she hasn't been able to sleep in her bed because of the pain and she has been having to sleep downstairs in the chair.
Any advise would be most welcome.
Many thanks.
P.S. anyone about to have this surgery please don't be put off by this, i'm sure it's normal.

Hi im Lorraine and i had surgery last friday a week ago, i dodnt pass my bowels until 4 days after surgery... as for the gas it will pass... she needs to keep mobile.. did the hospital give her some senicole to bring home to take after meals... it helps burp and pas wind... if not its also called infocol and you can buy it in any baby section of the chemists/tesco etc... i felt really rough for the fist few days but one week on im feeling heeps better. also if she does get wind you an help by massaging the area where the pain is. Also as for eating that is the amount i had too.... im now having tinned soups... tomato, mushroom and chicken... although i sieve the chicken and mushroom so not to have the bits.... im also drinking instead of protien shakes im having actimels instead.
hope her gas passes soon xx

Thanks everybody for all your help, to the chemist tomorrow, i'll make sure she passes this wind if it's the last thing i do. hold on to your roof tiles!!! thanks again.

Hi at chemist get some glysarin suppositorys, they are fab and movacol to drink works from both ends then, lol thats what sorted me out when had still got pains after a week. My doc also gave me some tramadol which dissolve in the mouth for pains as no point suffering x

Thanks everybody for all your help, to the chemist tomorrow, i'll make sure she passes this wind if it's the last thing i do. hold on to your roof tiles!!! thanks again.
:roofles:

Peppermint tea is also good for wind, plus the walking and moving around helps disperse it. She may not need to have a bowel movement just yet it will depend what pre op diet she was on, but rather than strain etc she could try a gentle laxative, I was prescribed lactulose and that kept things regular until I was able to eat and drink "normally".

Hope she feels better soon.

Also meant to add some pain after surgery is normal but if it is prolonged or pain that is not eased with painkillers then she really should contact the bariatric team that treated her as often the A&E depts are not always sure how to treat WLS patients.

Wendy

i used babys gripe water and peppermint tea,,,,,worked for me ,hope shes feeling better ,it gets better , give her my love x

Back