• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Post op back pain, is it just me?

bigkev

Hi, I am 6 weeks post op and everything is going better than i ever dared to expect, going from 25,6 at my heaviest to being sub 20 st any day now. However my back keeps going off and i am in agony most of the time. The first time was about a week post op and lasted for about a week and now its gone again, the thing is i have had to go back to work early anyway as my sick pay has run out and now im trying to work thru the pain but it very hard.
Ive read a lot that rapid weight loss can change your posture faster than your back can cope but i wasnt warned of this before (not that anything would have changed my mind) and was wondering if anyone else out there has had similar issues and what they or their provider did about it.
My procedure was carried out at sunderland and i have only praise for them for giving me my second chance but ive been back home since january 27 and had no contact or follow up from them at all and it would have been nice to feel like i hadnt just been let loose. My aunts husband (technically my uncle but ive never met him so it doesnt seem right calling him that lol) had the same op a year earlier at darlington and was given a card on release from hospital to get in touch if there were any problems and apparently his back also went and now he goes for what i imagine is a cortisone injection every couple of months but my gp wont entertain the idea so now my choice is stay off work and not get paid or go to work where i can barely walk (not good as a prison officer lol)
Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Could you ask your wls surgeon to write to your GP recommending something? My GP tends to move her bum when my surgeon writes to her lol! :)

I have constant lower back pain aswell, I'm living on tramadol, I'm s door supervisor so like you spending hours on my feet always in agony :-(

I was in agony from about 3 months post op with back pain. I went to the doctor, who couldn't do much, and an osteopath, which didn't do much either. Then at around 9 months post op the pain just went away. My weight loss slowed significantly after 8 months, so I suspect that the pain was my muscles and my skeletal system rearranging itself as I lost rapidly.

i suffer back pain anyway as i have a degenerative disease in my spine so im expecting it to worsen post op i would speak to you provider see if they can help with anything or if they can contact the gp saying you need a referral to pain clinic or the like

Back