• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

does everyone do this or is it just me?

pinkylin

since my assesment on thursday bein told i should be getin my op in about 8wks ive now started questioning myself do i really want to do this?

Is it the right way forward for me?
is it normal to feel like this?

One min im excited about it the next im thinkin can i do this?
I am worried sick about op and about my own mortality on the op table and off as im hearing some peeps need to go back in to have there tube made bigger as they cant get it down im scared that this wil happen to me and i have t g back in for a reop i dont want that im so scared of surgery is this really the only way out for me or should i just try even harder and dieting even though i sort of knw this wont happen as my willpower falls by the way side all the time its good for a while but then i lose the plot.

Are these just nerves ive got? Will it get easier? Did you all feel like this?

Sorry for all the questions and for the moan lin.x:(

Only you can answer whether you honestly want to go ahead with the surgery or not!

I know thats probebly not very helpful to you right now though!

I have only just recieved my op date (2nd Nov - 6 weeks) and I am terrified. Pure and simple. However, whenever I start thinking about all the cons of the op - like the possibility of death - I loose perspective of the things I will gain from it - like a new life.

For me, although I am scared, the reasons why I want/need this op far outweigh the possibility of what could go wrong! It is up to you to make the decision of what is more important.

I know my nerves kicked in as soon as the op date was given to me, and I would be worried for you if you didn't get nervous about it, as that would indicate you don't know the true risks associated with WLS.

I can honestly see me being scared all the way until I'm wheeled into surgery (and probebly after too!!!), but I can't see it stopping me from going ahead with it. It is something I have waited a long time for and I know that without it I would continue in a life I am not happy with.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Steph x

Hi Lin hun ur not moaning and am sure we all prior to surgery have 1001 things running through our head i know i will when i finally get an op date.
Hun if others had probs with the tube am sure it is because they are very large and that is not the case with you hun am sure it will all be fine.
Of course when we are having major surgery we think bout mortality its only normal hun and it has crossed my mind many times do i really need surgery or can i do it on my own, but thb i know that i have struggled all my life with my weight and if i carry on like this then my health will seriously deteriorate so for me surgery is the only option to put an end to the vicious circle of losing weight and re gaining weight.
Take care hun and have a good day xx

yeh i agree with you there steph thats exactley how i feel and yes i am more likely to go through with it than not im like you im scared but it is something i need and i have to keep telling myself why im doin this in the first place.
I think im just havin a wobble as i know its closer than i origanally thought it would be.

This is something i have to do ive got to remember that lin.xx

For everyone it's different, but having read numerous threads on here, you're certainly not out of the ordinary.

I had already made the decision that I couldn't go on as I was. Spending up to £20 a day on fast food, damaging my body, knowing I wouldn't live old. I had tried losing weight and failed miserably, so I knew it called for drastic measures.

When an op was decided on I talked to my then gf about it and since we both found out exactly what it entails etc, I went at it head first! The only times I got worried was when I was on my own. It was worry about the 'What if's' happened during the operation, not, 'Is this right for me?'.

I knew the op was right, it was the 1% chance of something serious happening that worried me at times.

thanx roch ive strugled alll my life to up and dwn and it is a vicious circle and i knw i wont be able to lose it on me own i lose a bit but then it all goes back on doesnt it you knw what wobble over im doin this ive got to be strong lin.x

thanx mixman ive been like that all the way through yano 99.9% sure i am doin the right thing and its always been that 1% that has niggled at me well after reading my replies im now 100% sure fr once im doin the right thing im doin this coz its right for me im doin this coz i want to see my kids have kids im doin this coz i want to be around for my grandchildren im doin this so i can have a life for once im doin this coz i wanna live my life not just exist all this outweighs that 1% if loads of peeps out there who have been bigger that me hae done it and survived then why cant i lin.x

Its a different journey for all of us I'm afraid, so as others have said, only you can answer that question.

I guess a lot largely depends on why you need the rapid weight loss in the first place, Some of us had no choice in that respect and the decision was taken out of our hands for health reasons.

If you don't have the health problems, or your life is not at risk due to your weight, or you think that from somewhere you may find the will power to lose it on your own then maybe your right to question if its right for you.

I'm sure you will do whats right for you.

xx

hi bonita i dont have diabetes or heart problems but i do have the painfull joints feet and back.
The reason i put in for it in the first place is coz its takin me a long time to just lose 2 stone 1 of which i put back on but my main concern is i have diabetes (uncle) heart disese(mum and dad and nan both died from it and they where all youngish) and cancer(my other nan) in the family and i dont want any of them so that is why im doing it while im young as i dont want to do it when i already have one or two of these conditions.

Im glad i put up this post as its made me realise i do want it and i am going for it i think i was just havin a bad day.x

Hiya, it is natural to have doubts about deciding to undertake such a drastic change to your body.

All post op'ers have experienced what you're going through. As many people have said previously we all know how to lose weight - its keeping it off thats hard which is why I decided to proceed with the bypass.

Good luck with your weight loss journey I am sure you will make the right choice for you!

hy i put in for op last year and i was so optimistic that i hadnt got a scared bone in my body im in lots of pain with my joints and can hardly walk so i raley go out, ive no life and i dont want to go on like this anymore. i got my date 2 weeks ago its 19th oct. im very pleased, releved and excited im allso petrified now its here my stomach does somersalts every time i think about it and i wish i could go to sleep now and wake up wen its all done but would i change my mind not a chance if they have to wheel me down cause i cant walk bcause im shaking too much thats fine just as long as it gets done . i think most people will have these kind of feelings to some degree so dont worry if you feel its the right thing for you you will be fine............kath x

Hi Lin
Can't add much more to the advice you already have here, i can tell you i was terrified and kept saying all i want to do is wake up, i even broke down in work the week before but i'm so so glad i went through with it and what you are feeling is completly natural xx

thanx bd17 katsofat and gg im ok now i think.

I was just havin a wobble b4 i just want it over and done with now so i can stop worryin abut it and drivin meself mad lol.xx

Back