• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

POST-OP head hunger

magicbeans

no longer obese!!
Hi
im still pre op...but reading up loads and basically with all WLS u need to overcome headhunger.....

there are some really mad success stories on here...more often then not everyone seems to have done WLS and achieved the results......

there is a 15% group of people that will just not lose the wieght due to not overcoming head hunger ...im worried i will be one of those people....

thing is...like ive said before...im a failure when it comes to dieting..hence im opting for WLS...and without being rude..i think a lot of people were the same....we choose WLS as a last resort really....so im sure there are a few ppl who have dieted and failed because they cant stick to the diet etc....

so my question is how did u overcome the headhunger and stick to being good?? if u spent ur whole life sucking at staying away from naughty treats and binging on junk....what happened post WLS that made u stick to the straight and narow and not be in the 15% of people who fail?

hope i havent offended anyone.

Hi,

I had a really long road to getting surgery, which while at the time I resented it, with hindsight it was my saving grace. Part of my journey was attending 1-to-1 weight management sessions with the bariatric co-ordinatir, following the BHF diet and re-educating myself to food, healthy eating etc. Some of that looked at my eating triggers, the main one was evening/boredom eating so I put tools into practice to deal with that. Knitting lol. I also used the pre-op time to learn to understand my stomach signals. For the first time in years I would stop eating when I started to feel full, instead of waiting till I was fit to burst. Before I snacked, I would ask myself am I genuinely hungry? Most of the time the honest answer was no. Post op I soon realised that genuine hunger for me didn't happen. It is very rare even now that I feel genuinely hungry. That meant dealing with the head hunger so much easier as I knew it wasn't genuine hunger, and with that knowledge it is far easier to resist.

With cravings, I tend to satisfy them. If I craved chocolate, I would have some sainsburys NAS chocolate, or some 70% dark chocolate, the difference being I would have a couple of squares not the whole bar.

Hope that helps,

Shelley x

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

that really does help shelbel!!

sounds a lot like the Paul Mckenna diet thingy. i sued that after i had DS2 and did do well....try to do that now but even when i know im full or not THAT hungry i still eat...so stupid! hoping that with the band i am less like that.

thanks shel :)

I think for the first 18 months your stomach does the talking, ie unless you're prepared to put yourself through PAIN by overfilling it (& by god do you know it when you do).

After 18 months to 2 years you begin to notice that you can take bigger amounts; then you've got to make sure you don't get back to those bad habits, eg boredom eating etc.

I've recently put on a stone but I know where I've gone wrong - I'm not eating large quantities, but I'm eating bad 'quality' food too often due to a bereavement (it's the coping mechanisms linked to food that are hardest to break)

I think if you remember that you will always have to watch what you're eating, & having luxuries in moderation (much like anyone on here should've done first time around) then you'll be fine :)

Ps sorry I've just noticed you're going for the band. I had a VSG. So other than the timelines it's all the same :)

I used the Paul McKenna approach pre -op and actually it complements the band really well. I have discussed it with my provider as well and they said it works good with the band. (can't comment on other surgery types of course!)

The basic idea is common sense and what normal relationship with food should be about and I think it helps a lot. I try and follow the principles specially on weekends when I allow myself a bit more treat type food. It helps to stop me overdoing it like I used to and the band means I only have a little of what I fancy and eat slowly as a matter of course.

awesome. thanks pat and neen ....paul mckenna priniciples really work but im so used to having a stuffed belly/munching for no reason!

I was as well, but a combination of keeping control via calorie counting during the week, good restriction and weekends where I allow myself what I fancy in moderation has worked really well to get me in a position where I feel mainly in control of my intake and relaxed around food.

I have been a complusive eater for years and years and I never thought I could do anything about it.
It has been a learning curve but I find having something to look forward to on treat day, stops me from giving in during the week.
And by the end of the weekend I want to get back on track.

You are in a fortunate position because you have the chance to take all this info on board and get a plan of action in place way before your surgery..
For me, I joined this site 4 weeks after my surgery and learnt everything the hard way.

defo neen....was thinking..what woiuld i do without this site (and neen!!) u defo ar very clued up and more importantly...happy to help....gotta toddle off and check in with the banders before i forget!

Back