• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

post op injections

kevinireland

Hi guys I've had my band since last Tuesday and was given the joy of self injecting clexane for the next 10days to prevent DVT . Well i wasn't given any real instructions about the jabs so I've done some research and this is what I've gathered . The Clexane injections are subcutaneous so you need to inject them at a 90 degree angle to the body...basically stab it straight in !! Grab a bit of flesh (I find around the middle the best, sort of the "love handle" area and in a bit....but needs to be at least 5cms away from belly button and alternate sides each day) Stick the needle in and just ensure you push the plunger slowly so that the clexane goes in slowly, then keep the flesh pinched after finished injection and whilst pulling the needle out, again slowly. Take your time and relax. Don't rub the injection site otherwise it'll bruise and can go lumpy. Also, you shouldn't get rid of the airbubble with Clexane...the air bubble should be at the top of the syringe...so you inject the Clexane solution into the subcutaneous layer first, followed by the air bubble which will go on top and act as a plug & in theory this helps reduce the risk of bruising.

With most injections you would expel the air bubble but with clexane it's the exception to the rule.

Hope this helps .

I found the tummy best too Kevin and thanks so much precious, very helpful. Love and hugs xxx

Kevin as a woman who had them for a month with only two bruises let me teach you the phatmomma easy course for injecting :)

If like me you have a nice little overhanging apron belly (all 21st of me had a 'little' belly yeah right) then place your hand under the overhang and raise it up. No pinching of skin or nothing. Decide where you want to jab and just do it, still no pinching at all.... As you say push the plunger in slowly and when done pull out. No pinching, no rubbing, no touching where your injection went. Rubbing, pinching will actually cause you to bruise as clexane is to prevent clotting you are activating it by rubbing. This is the word of the surgeon, thanks be to Mr Khan @ Walsall Manor :) xx

Nervous now do you need to inject yourself gulp!!!! Still waiting for a date with consultant not too sure I want it now lol

What does the injection do, hubby works away mon-frid & I couldn't do it myself :( x

The ones that Kevin and I were given do not hurt in the slightest, I was dreading it but then we had been given the same ones post op and I thought just go for it lol

mandymoo said:
What does the injection do, hubby works away mon-frid & I couldn't do it myself :( x

You can get the nurse at your gp practice to do it, or your walk in centre. You'll need to have something in writing from the hospital to say you need it, it's normally on your discharge paperwork though. I couldn't self inject and couldn't let my hubby do it. I then had them all through the pregnancy with Charlie so went to my gp every day for over 9 months!

The injections are a type of heparin, usually clexane or fragmin, which thin the blood to prevent blood clots like DVTs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

i had to inject myself for about 5 days when i came home, and i found it painless. i live on my own, and theres no way my daughters would have done it for me, and as im disabled, it would have been difficult to get to the gp. so i just bit the bullet and went for it, after the first one i was fine, the needle is so fine i didnt even feel it go in. i think its the thought of what it is that makes us so nervous about it, im not sure i could have done it if the needle had been much thicker, for anybody thats nervous about doing it, its painless, honest, big hugs xxx

Feeling really faint just reading this thread......no chance that I'll be brave enough to do that. You all have my greatest respect.

lol spot on there dotty, lol.
von, honest it really dosnt hurt, just pick a spot, and shut your eyes, you dont even feel it go in the needle is that thin and tiny, and its so short too, so dosnt go in v ery far.
bite the bullet huni, you can do it. hugs x

Dotty you are funny and thanks Dawny, but I have real a needle phobia, stupid I know but there it is; so will probably end up traipsing down to the surgery nurse everyday. However, I'm really, really hoping that the procedure I have there will be no need for them.

How did I manage after three caesararians? I don't recall having them then? Is it something new or just for certain procedures?

Von I can empathise. I have a needle phobia too and it's nothing to do with the pain or the size of the needle, for me its anything piercing the skin. I have had well over 1000 blood tests and injections in my life (I used to keep count) but it has only improved slightly. My local DVT team came out to me sometimes especially just after Charlie was born, so that is another option. My local walk in centre refused to do them, although whilst travelling I went to several other walk ins who all did them no problem.

They are a necessary evil, but if you cannot do them yourself or have anyone else that can do them, or that you will allow to do them, then there are other options.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

There is nothing to it honest,fine small needle you dont even feel it going in,I have to do it for 3 weeks post op cos they dont use dvt stockings.Maz x

ive had a few big ops, and after each one ive had to have the heparin injections, but ive been in hospital longer than i was with my bypass, so i was given them by the nurses.

Back