• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Dou you have to give yourself injections after gastric band op?

EMPRESS PAULA

My friend tells me she has been told you have to give yourself a course of 5 day injections after the gastric band op, find this hard to believe as you normally have to learn to inject an orange before tackling it on yourself, and i know you have to be careful not to get air in it! Can you tell me if this is true? Apparantly its to thin the blood and you inject your stomach? If it is true what kind of injection is it???!!! Thanks (not worried as injections don't bother me just want to be prepared)

Yes, I did for 5 days after. You dont have to learn to inject because they come in ready to use single use syringes so you cant get air in. Once the dose has been injected a plastic cover comes down over the needle and 'pulls' the needle out of the skin. It can leave a little bruise if you dont do it at a 45 degree action or rub the area after injection.
The nurse will do your first one and teach you how to do it.
The one I had was called 'Clexane' (enoxaparin) and I had to alternate sides of my belly each day.

yep this is normal. The number of days you have to do them varies from hospital to hospital but I think everyone has to have them.

Yeah I had to for 5 days, i think its sumtimes easier for sum1 else to do it for u if u can, my hubby done 4 of mine for me and he left early for work the 5th day so I did it and musta got the angle wrong and got a huge bruise which lasted for a good week or so, but they dont hurt at all x

I was a by passer and had to do it for a month black and cblue green and yellow my belly was lolol

I am also a bander that did not do this, so I guess it depends on your health and the provider.

I had to do it for 14 days... it NEVER got any easier... i'm too much of a wimp and mum had to do them for me... ;)

Paula - Stop fretting about this, its no big deal if you have to have the injections, they show you how to do them and the needle is so fine you really dont feel it honestly, i hate needles and injections and even i managed to self medicate, its really that easy.

hi yes i had them for a week but am also a wimp when it comes to needles and my hubby said he couldn`t do it to me so i got my friend who is a paramedic to come every day and do it for me shes an angel !! but they dont hurt it was just the thought of injecting my self:eek::eek::eek: i couldn`t handle yuk xx heather

I've had a band and now a bypass and didnt have them either time. If your worried at all ask your surgeon, they are the only people who can put your mind at rest. But if you do, dont worry about it just see it as another obstacle to overcome on your way to a slimmer, healthier you!! and if your having a band whats a few more injections...lol xx

i'm a bander and had to self inject clexane for 10 days post op, the hospital said they could make other arrangements if i really couldnt do it (send me to gp nurse every day i expect) but i said no, it's fine. i wouldnt say it didnt hurt but it wasnt really a problem for me. you'll be fine hun.

I just had my band last wk end and was given an injection on the op morning and the next morning but no others. I did not realise everyone was different.

Thanks for all the replys just to verify i am not fretting or worried about injections, just want to know if it was true! I guess it is different at different places etc Those that have had injections was it standard procedure or was it because of health reasons? Also has anyone been Birmingham Heartlands and did they have injections for the band!
I don't mind needles!! Neither am i slightly concerned about injecting myself!!

Didnt want to read and run Paula but i can let you know after Tuesday what happens as i am also at Birmingham Heartlands and having my Band op on tuesday. Would be interesting to know if it is down to medical history or medical problems that are having the injections, i dont have any medical problems at all but have a family history of thrombosis.... Will reply to you tuesday evening/wednesday X

Back