• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Dou you have to give yourself injections after gastric band op?

Sorry I did'nt answer this question to you earlier Paula but YES I did have to do it for 10 days.Where are you having your op? There may be someone who had there op at the same place and then they'll be able to let you know if they had to and for how long. It does'nt hurt, my son often did mine (I think he was hoping it would hurt lol) because its so easy. Don't worry if you have to,its for your own good to stop the blood clotting as you won't be as mobile for a few daysxx

Im a bypass and only had them for 3 days in hospital then back on asprin tablets once a day.i used to inject insulin 5 times a day befor bypass now stoped all insulin....its not too painfull injecting into tummy as lot of fat ...jeff

Yes, I did for 5 days after. You dont have to learn to inject because they come in ready to use single use syringes so you cant get air in. Once the dose has been injected a plastic cover comes down over the needle and 'pulls' the needle out of the skin. It can leave a little bruise if you dont do it at a 45 degree action or rub the area after injection.
The nurse will do your first one and teach you how to do it.
The one I had was called 'Clexane' (enoxaparin) and I had to alternate sides of my belly each day.

Is the syringe a bit like an epipen?

Hi hun I had my band on Monday at Taunton and only had the injection day of the op and the day after. I was told at my pre-op that I would have to self inject for 5 days but apparently this is only for by-passers. How different each provider is, I find it amazing all the different ways to and after op! Good luck on your journey x

Hi all thanks for the replys, its all very interesting! I am going into Birmingham Heartlands for my op, so we will see! claire has her's there on Tuesday so will wait to see what she says! Thanks again - so excited!!!! x

Hi, Had my op just 2 weeks ago at heartlands and the only injection i had was a few hours after the operation, this was to stop blood clots and is something they always do, no more since then....hope this helps

Back