• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Post op pains!

actionfish

Hello.

Well, it's nearly 5 weeks since the operation and all has been going well. I've lost plenty of weight already and I'm getting used to the regime.

But the last few days I've started to get twinges of pain in my left shoulder and under my ribs on the left. I've also had pain on the right of my belly button.

My doctor explained that this is due to nerve damage which occurs during surgery and suggested that it might take months before it gets better.

It left me feeling quite fed up. Has anyone else had any of these annoying pains?

Hi actionfish - I've had a pain in the back of my left shoulder, i was told its a by product of laproscopic surgery and is common, not had pain anywhere else, but everyone's different.

Hiya
When i was in hospital, they said that experiencing pain around the neck and shoulders can be a normal thing post bypass operation. :(
I am sorry to hear you are still suffering after 5 weeks on though, that sucks!
I hope things start to improove for you soon :hug99:
Xxx Lizzie xxX

hi there

The reason why you get pain in your shoulders post laparoscopic surgery is that during the surgery the tilt the bed and put gases in to the abdomen basically to increase the size of the area where they are operating on, these gases get trapped and can cause terrible pain but it usually will have all dipersed within a couple of weeks, Mmmmmm so thinking that perhaps this is not wind pain from surgery.
Did they remove your gall bladder at the time of surgery? Gallstones are quite common after sudden weight loss which is rapid and can give the type of pain you are describing or could biliary colic, Is your urine and stools a normal colour? (sorry to ask such personal questions) Pain in the shoulder tip can be caused by something that is irritating the diaphragm this can range from ectopic pregnancy to gallstones (referred pain), If this pain continues i suggest you take another trip to your doctors, just try to write down if and when the pain is worst and whether it corresponds with something i.e eating.
Or speak to the consultants seceratory who performed your surgery and ask her to have a word with the surgeon for you.

Hope this helps
message back if you have any more questions hon
Hope ya feel better soon
xxxxxx

Helen

I am 7 weeks post gastric band...and even now I get twinges near the port and in and around the four other incisions.

The shoulder pain could be unrelated.... but if it gets worse contact your surgeons office or GP.

Back