• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

post op portion size

belbouteloup

Hey guys

Only me again, sorry to drive you all mad with the questions, but having my op in 3 weeks and trying to get as much info as poss and all the other websites etc are a bit rubbish and this one is fantastic with brilliant people to help. i love it !!!
Anyway my question is what size portions do you eat once you go on to solids after a bypass and does the amount just keep gradualy increasing, for example could you eat a whole ready meal,or is that way to much ?? and when you go out to eat, how much can you usualy manage, starter portion or main or both etc.. ?

Hi Bellsie, i am 3 months post bypass and i can manage a small side plate portion of food which is about 2 spoons of rice and a couple of spoons of veg chilli. feel full after that. If i'm out i manage a starter and thats it.

It depends on what you are eating too as to how much you can manage.

Any other questions hunn ask away xx

if anyone reading this is banded can i ask the same what portion size newly post op? its a minefield isnt it lol
hi im banded i use as a guide my sons dinner plate and bowls, he has a thunderbirds bowl (hes 7) and i have a princess bowl lol (im 34):D its some times hard but i try to have the same portions as him.
good luck
liz xx

Post bypass for me -

BF - 1/2 peice wholemeal toast with 'protein' ie low fat cheese/cream cheese, poached egg yolk etc
MM Snack - chilled red grapes (about 6)
L - 1/4 to 1/2 sandwich, or nearly all of a small tin (weight watchers size) soup
MA Snack - 1/2 banana
T - 1 egg ommlette with tuna and low fat cheese
Eve Snack - Milky drink - low sugar hot drink or latte

Portion wise, I can manage nearly 1/2 of a weight watchers ready meal, most days. Some days I can't! Yesterday I picked up a chicken salad sandwich for lunch and barely managed a 1/4 (so wasteful, hadn't prepared anything for work).

Meals post bypass need to be protein focused, so thats my main focus right now.

Tonight I've put in a lightly dusted plaice fillet and I doubt I'll finish it lol. Half price in M&S this morning (and sneaked through with ma's shopping so freeeeee).

HTH, if not just ask :)

I generally have half a banana for breakfast, a small salad for lunch and a kiddies plate size tea. Can't manage much else really.

Also i really struggle to eat in the mornings still have that horrible morning sickness type feeling.

Hope this helps xx

Absolutley.thank you so much it`s amazing.Getting excited now. your weight loss is fantastic, you must look like a different person

I am just about on 'foods' & have approx 2-3 tablespoons of food .. though the dietician has said I should have a mix of food of the same amount, but this is little difficult! Still, early days as yet

Last edited:
Hiya... I am 8 weeks post op, and for me my average day is;

- slice of wholemeal toast for breakfast, with Bertolli Light and some Marmite or a poached egg

- a milky coffee for mid-morning, maybe with a Rich Tea if I feel like it, but usually on it's own

- lunch is either salad with a low fat/low sugar vegetable quarterpounder or something similar

- mid-afternoon, around 4pm, I will have either another cuppa with a biccie or a packet of Ryvita Minis (Sweet Chilli is the best one!) If I want something sweet, I will have a packet of Special K bites (yum! Thanks for rec' them, Shel!!!)

- around 7 or 8pm, I will have either a can (400ml) of soup or a supermarket's own chilled readymeal, like a 300g portion of Bombay Aloo or some Healthy Choices pasta with tomatoes (if it's pasta, I will halve this and put the remaining half in the fridge to have the next day.) If I have a Quorn S Pie, I will have 150g of it with two dsrtspoons of baked beans and a little sprinkle of low fat cheese, so I get my protein :)

I also make chunky homemade soups, pasta with low fat tomato sauces and Indian dals and sabjis with a little EV Olive Oil instead of higher fat oils. I absolutely adore crunchy salads with raw cabbage at the moment, and a nice dollop of <1% Cottage Cheese with chopped tomatoes and cucumber!!! I tell you, this bypass has rewired my tastebuds!!!

When I am at work (I work nights) I tend not to take a cooked meal in with me - I take a homemade sarnie into work and eat half at 2am and the other half around 5am. I will then drink tea or water through the night.

I don't always finish my meals, but I eat until I start to feel full and then leave it - the dog is loving it!!! :D

I love the fact that I don't crave junk food anymore... I can happily sit there while people eat fried food, crisps, chocolate and coke, and I don't even give it a second thought. I was at work last night, and it was one of the resident's birthdays - huge cake, but I wasn't even tempted to nick a smidge from it at all! It's fab!!!

In the first 6 weeks, I was a bit worried about what I ate, thinking that I was eating too much (despite evidence to the contrary, like fitting into clothes I haven't been able to wear since 2000, slipping behind the wheel without having to adjust the seat, and getting those much loved compliments!!! :rolleyes:) but when Shaw saw an email compiling an average day, he assured me that it is not too much and I was doing just fine.

I've lost nearly three stone and am feeling fab :)

At the end of the day, do and eat what feels ok to you... we are all different, we all need different amounts and no two people are the same.

I'm starting at a gym soon (it has that Power Plate!!! :) ) so I know that I will be burning off lots more!!!

Some people I know can eat chocolate, but I just have to have a cup a soup and I'm 'bezzie mates' with my toilet!!!

Right... waaay TMI... I'm off before I embarrass myself anymore!!!

x

Last edited:
I seem to have shocked everyone into silence with my portion sizes!!!

LMAO :D:D:D

At the end of the day, it's swings and roundabouts... one day I can have a bit of a 'picking' situation, then another day I will not really have much at all :)

Speak to your surgeon or Dietician and send them an email of your average day - I emailed Shaw and at my check-up he told me to stop worrying and did a pretend slap with soundeffects!!! :giggle:

x

Last edited:
lol - great response!!

It's really interesting to read all these posts.

I have a question. Are you allowed to drink alcohol? If so, do you find you can't hold as much, so to speak! :p

What about general liquids ie teas, water etc. Does your portion control include liquids and solids?

Also, do any of you have any visible scars after surgery? I'm thinking more of a band here, as I've heard about this access hole thingy. Is it visible?

Well done to all of you - v brave! You're all doing fab!!

:talk017:

lol - great response!!

It's really interesting to read all these posts.

I have a question. Are you allowed to drink alcohol? If so, do you find you can't hold as much, so to speak! :p

What about general liquids ie teas, water etc. Does your portion control include liquids and solids?

Also, do any of you have any visible scars after surgery? I'm thinking more of a band here, as I've heard about this access hole thingy. Is it visible?

Well done to all of you - v brave! You're all doing fab!!

:talk017:
Hi Yep can still drink just avoid sugary things like beer, wine and cider. vodka goes down very nicely and i don't seem to get drunk much quicker than before.

Other drinks like tea and that are fine too.

J have 5 little scar just under my boobs which you can hardly see at all. they have healed really well and will fade more in time. x

Thank you Tammy. :D:D

One more question - have you lost the 74lb since the op, or had you lost some before then? That's an amazing amount in 4 months - well done you!!!

:bliss::bliss::bliss:

Back