• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Post op preperations

phatmomma

Hi, i know i've got a bit of a wait till i get my op (fingers crossed sooner rather than later), i was just wondering what kind of thing i should get in for when i come home from hospital? I know i'll be on the NAS cordials and clear soup, should i be thinking of stocking up on some sort of protein drinks too?

Any advice much appreciated, by me and the others lurking and waiting to get on the bench xxx

Great question! I was thinking the same thing earlier (I've got a while to wait too!!). I look forward to hearing the replies!!

I don't know what your pre-op diet is going to be, but I used protein shakes in my pre pre-op and pre-op diets, they certainly helped me. You probably won't want anything to gloopy immediately after the op but they are a great way to keep the protein uptake going. Don't overstock on them though, some find one make sickly whereas someone else might like it. It is a "suck it and see" situation. You'll most likely be on clear fluids for at least a couple of weeks, so plenty of time to get stuff organised post-op.

HTH

I don't know what your pre-op diet is going to be, but I used protein shakes in my pre pre-op and pre-op diets, they certainly helped me. You probably won't want anything to gloopy immediately after the op but they are a great way to keep the protein uptake going. Don't overstock on them though, some find one make sickly whereas someone else might like it. It is a "suck it and see" situation. You'll most likely be on clear fluids for at least a couple of weeks, so plenty of time to get stuff organised post-op.

HTH

Thanks John, but i'm the only driver in my family so couldn't expect anyone else to get a couple of buses to the local supermarket or health food shop for me! I'm one of these people who like to be ready, so i'll stock up on some tins of fairly smooth soup (any suggestions/recipes for home made greatly appreciated) and i'll check out Holland & Barrett.

More advice please folks xxx

My favorite clear soup was Baxter's Luxury Beef Consomme. It is a nice beef flavour but is not like drinking gravy. It is one of the more expensive soups but 1 tin will give you 2 or maybe 3 meals at the early stage.

HTH

Hi Julie, i tried protein shakes and just couldn't stomach them at all, that said all surgeons seem different on them as Mr Ammori said i did'nt need them. I made home made chicken noodle soup and strained it also i made veg soup with stock cubes and lots of different veg and strained it too. Its a difficult stage on liquids but you get through it honest xx

Hi Julie, i tried protein shakes and just couldn't stomach them at all, that said all surgeons seem different on them as Mr Ammori said i did'nt need them. I made home made chicken noodle soup and strained it also i made veg soup with stock cubes and lots of different veg and strained it too. Its a difficult stage on liquids but you get through it honest xx

I was exactly the same way. I drank the protein supplements prior to surgery and loved them but now they make me want to gag more than the effervescent pain relief.

Soups seem to be wonderful. I just ordered a whole bunch of Covent Garden ones to be delivered tonight. I will strain them and then enjoy them.

Back