• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Post op quantity - soft stage.

Lawstudent

seven weeks post op and two dilatations and I am now eating. Now I am worried I am eating too much! At lunch today I had half a jacket potato, two tbsp of tuna mayo and a bit of cheese. This seems quite a lot to me. I could have eaten more actually but stopped, I did not feel full. So in total it may have been four tbsp total. And I could have managed more. Now I am a bit worried something isn't right :(

Lawstudent said:
seven weeks post op and two dilatations and I am now eating. Now I am worried I am eating too much! At lunch today I had half a jacket potato, two tbsp of tuna mayo and a bit of cheese. This seems quite a lot to me. I could have eaten more actually but stopped, I did not feel full. So in total it may have been four tbsp total. And I could have managed more. Now I am a bit worried something isn't right :(

I just managed about 2/3 of a fish pie ready meal type size?

That's fine. Why are you worrying? Calorie count if you need reassurance?

tealovingsleever said:
That's fine. Why are you worrying? Calorie count if you need reassurance?

My mum 2 years post op could not manage as much as I am eating. What sort of calories should I be on now? I am guessing maybe I am on maybe 650-700?

I wouldn't worry about calories yet. That's not alot to eat. You have to remember soft/mushy food is slider food. It just slides on down and that's why you feel you can eat more. When you start on solids and feel a bit of restriction, you'll be able to eat less :)

Try not to compare yourself to your mum. Paula is right, once you eat dense food like chicken or fish your capacity goes down. I aim for 1000 kcal a day and lose every week. Remember you have the malabsorption benefits too x

Paula Lewis said:
I wouldn't worry about calories yet. That's not alot to eat. You have to remember soft/mushy food is slider food. It just slides on down and that's why you feel you can eat more. When you start on solids and feel a bit of restriction, you'll be able to eat less :)

Is fish pie classed as soft if I don't puree it? I chew it well but don't puree it. X

If its a ready meal it'll be soft food as the fish content is tiny.

tealovingsleever said:
Try not to compare yourself to your mum. Paula is right, once you eat dense food like chicken or fish your capacity goes down. I aim for 1000 kcal a day and lose every week. Remember you have the malabsorption benefits too x

I managed about 200g of haddock the other night which seemed a lot. I am still very confused! Should I be prioritising protein, is that right? What are the malabsorption benefits? It is like question time for you lol! X

Was it with a sauce? The benefits are that some food isn't absorbed meaning you lose more. It's still early days so try not to panic.

When do you move on to solid food? And what are you studying? I'm a lawyer.

Yes you should prioritise protein. Fish is alot softer than meat. I can always manage more fish than meat. Malabsorption works as most of our intestinal tract has been bypassed. Therefore we don't absorb all the nutrients in our food,as it takes us alot less time to digest it.

Oh and yes deffo with the protein. I just cooked meat and veg at the beginning. Didn't bother with carbs. Protein fills you up quicker and for longer. As my swelling has gone down a lot now I'm 5 months post op I can eat more. Today I had a whole potato but no skin as it hurts my tum, 1/2 can tuna with salad cream.

tealovingsleever said:
When do you move on to solid food? And what are you studying? I'm a lawyer.

I am a lowly final year LLB student!! Was always interested in community law but I have unfortunately, and reluctantly, come to accept that as my Dad isn't a barrister I won't get anywhere! I have maintained high 2:1 but all the 2:2's got the training contracts! Very disappointing, I think I will graduate and work in a shop lol!

Paula Lewis said:
Yes you should prioritise protein. Fish is alot softer than meat. I can always manage more fish than meat. Malabsorption works as most of our intestinal tract has been bypassed. Therefore we don't absorb all the nutrients in our food,as it takes us alot less time to digest it.

I was veggie for a long time, but have started with fish and am enjoying it. I will stick with it. I will start packing in the protein instead of carbs, it seems I will get less in but it is better food :) Thanks guys!!

It sure is tough. I wouldn't recommend it as a career to anyone! I've been qualified 9 years.

Have you tried salmon? I find it quite dense.

tealovingsleever said:
It sure is tough. I wouldn't recommend it as a career to anyone! I've been qualified 9 years.

I had so many dreams, by year two I knew they were all empty dreams! It is near impossible and I feel I have wasted almost three years because I don't have the contacts like all the others do. What a world when I maintain 2:1 and get pipped to the post by scrawny 21 year olds with 2:2's!

tealovingsleever said:
Have you tried salmon? I find it quite dense.

Salmon seems to go down very well, cod etc easier. I have really enjoyed returning to fish!

Back