• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Post-Op Shopping List

danowen

I'm having my band fitted on Thursday and am going out today to get in bits and bobs for after. So far I have on the list:
Slimfasts
Build-Up
Berocca
Wound dressings
Is there anything else that you would recommend I have in in preparation?

You'll be on liquids only (usually for about 2 weeks but varies according to your provider) so its just a case of having those around - fruit/vegetable juice, milk, NAS squash, soups, drinking yoghurts, (actimel) - your provider should also provide you with wound dressings according to what you will need so I wouldn't worry about those so much.

I had no wound dressings, they glued mine to seal them and said dont worry about them! You can shower immediately after surgery if you wish :)

Actimel is a must! They go down easy.
Sugar free Angel Delight, Sugar Free Custard
Cream of Chicken, Mushroom and Tomato Soup. Use the condensed version then you can make them up with milk for extra protein.
Smooth yogurts

Not a great deal you can have but its only for a couple of weeks :)

Good Luck xx

Also, you can make smoothies with fresh fruit, so bananas or berries - just make sure you sieve out any lumps or bits :)

Ooh, good idea!

Does anyone have any recs should I need some form of laxative? And can anyone tell me if tonic water is ok to drink? Obviously I'll check with my provider on Thursday but I'm not sure if its counted as a fizzy drink or not.

Tonic water is counted as a fizzy drink - anything with bubbles in is. Some providers enable you to drink these further along - for example mine do not ban fizzy drinks but it is something that may not be tolerable. but during these early stages, something to stay away from.

You may need some form of laxative - I use and have used dulcoease, in a little grey/silver box couple of quid for 12 in supermarkets or the same in poundland (just cheaper obviously lol) but they are tiny tiny little tablets and as such, are ok even early on post surgery for the band :) - drink a portion of fruit and veg juice (actimel may also help "loosen") and plenty of water too . . .if not hit something such as prune juice if you dont want to go all out on taking anything else :) - some people get a prescription for lactulose from their docs, but I find the dulcoease work fine (and much smaller tablets that senokat)

One time a bit of fizz can be helpful is if you get something stuck, a quick gulp of fizzy diet coke or whatever can soon help it on its way (although its often back up and not down!) ;)

You can buy lactulose over the counter for about £3 but it's like drinking golden syrup. I ended up at the GP being prescribed Fybogel after managing to persuade her I really didn't have a bowel obstruction. Luckily I'm a nurse and she tends to listen to me when I eventually pitched up in her surgery!! You can also buy senokot liquid but it's a bit more expensive and can cause bloating. Wishing you really good luck for Thursday.

I would DEFINATLY recommend taking something just as a precaution, I was in agony a week after op as I hadn't 'bin', I nearly took myself off to a&e one night as I was so blocked I couldn't even pee properly! Took a lot of (Eugh sorry) manipulation to get rid! Prevention is soooooo much better than cure!

Back