• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Post-op, when can we take vitamins

gillabean

Really living now!
My hospital said that I could start taking vitamins at two weeks post-op. I don't know why that could be, considering I can take my normal tablets after day 2. I have been anaemic for many years and feel a bit weak without my iron tablets and as I'm still on liquids I feel I'd benefit from my vitamin tablet. What have other people been told?

Hi Gill,

I was given a months supply of multi-vits and told to start taking them straight away. They are quite small and easy to swallow. I will probably go back to taking the Sanatogen A-Z Gold when they run out though.

John

i wasn't told to start taking the vits till i had to go back into hosp a couple of weeks after op and the dietician said it might be a good idea to start,but that was only when i asked about when i should start taking them, :( and when i saw my surgeon in june he said i have to take 2 daily now, can your G.P prescribe them? cos they cost a fortune Sanatogen A to Z, i also take iron tablet and 2 calci-chew which G.P does prescribe.
Sharon

My surgeon advises his patients to start taking the multi vits 1 month after surgery, I would check with your bariatric team and explain that you are feeling a little weak. Although considering your current diet and that you are only a week post op, you will be feeling weak. Keep resting and take things easy, you've had MAJOR surgery and are starving your body! Lots of luck.

Lx

Thanks for these replies guys. I knew that the advice given by the teams was going to be different depending on your provider. I am going to take them, I took them before the op and I need all the help I can get, getting back to normal.

I was on forceval the day after the op too. If you need the iron you can get sugar free ferrous fumerate syrup on script as an alternative to tablets.

By the way, it doesn't half make my blood boil when I hear providers telling bypassers to take over the counter multi vits like sanatogen gold, they are simply not strong enough for a post op malabsorptive intestine!

By the way, it doesn't half make my blood boil when I hear providers telling bypassers to take over the counter multi vits like sanatogen gold, they are simply not strong enough for a post op malabsorptive intestine!

Thanks for that Shel, 1 more question for me to ask my team.

John xx

Hey,

I was told to start taking multi-vits as soon as I was discharged from hospital.

My surgeon only specified they were liquid/disolvable/chewey until I came back to see him at my 4 week check-up.

I was also told to take the calci-chew thingys, and iron. I stopped the liquid Iron though as there was enough in the vitamin tablets I took.

Steph x

Hi Gill, I too was told to start taking them as soon as I left the hospital. I have a prescription for 2x iron tabs a day, 2x calcium tabs a day, 1x fastab a day and then a Sanatogen a-z complete multi vit each day too. (Which I have to buy).

It's no wonder I rattle! :rolleyes:

Cuppa xx

Hi Gilla

I was given a bottle of dalivit liquid to bring home have to have 14 droplets a day ( i take it in a tiny amount of mikshake) I was told at 6 weeks post op I should start to take the sanatogen a-z. My gp (again) then prescribed me a vitamin tablet that has even less potency then eithe rthe dalivit or sanatogen so useless.

I have found a super strength suppliment that is a very good price (bogof) £16.99 for almost a years supply and it has more nutrients in it than the sanatogen. Im not sure how big the actual tablet is though.

Shel, what multivit do you take? The only thing I havent started taking yet is the ferrous phosphate suger free syrup

Also did anyone else get the dalivit drops given to them by the hospital? They are what the health visitor used to give you for babies years ago along with their milk.

I was on forceval from the start. The two recommended vit/mins are forceval and ketovite. Ketovite are much smaller so many people prefer them, but as the forceval are gelcaps they are fine post op.

no probs ;)

I've had a look at the nutritional information for the Forceval versus my own vitamin tablet (Superdrug A-Z Multivitamins and Minerals) and they are about the same. So I'll stick with the cheap Superdrug one, I think.

I got all my tablets/vitamins from my GP.
One of em is ma'hu'sive!
Didn't know weather to swallow it or to put it somewhere else?? :eek:
I was given iron tablets (2a-day)
The suck/chew tutti frutti flavour things (2 a-day) and the big vitamins i mentioned earlier (1 a-day)

thanks guys for all this information - I too am on nothing yet and the hospital hasn't even sent my med details to my doctor :(

My GP said that the letter from the hospital was just a discharge note saying that I'd have RNY gastric bypass and how long I'd been in hospital. Nothing about needing Fast Tabs for a further two months or any blood tests that may be required. I have arranged with my GP (who is fab) to have blood tests in 3 months so that we can check my iron and Hb levels.

Back