• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Why do we take so many different things post WLS

Paul-H

Hi guys

Just wondering reading all the different WLS forums, why is the list of things given to take post surgery so different from Hospital to Hospital.

Many report that they take from day one, Multi-Vitamins, Calsium tablets, Iron tablets, B12 injections, and others like mine just say take a Multi-Vitamin and only take extras if a blood test at one year shows the need.

Why is there such a big variation.

Thanks

Paul

good question! ive wondered this myself,i wasnt told to take anything but i have been taking multivits from day1 since surgery xx

Its because surgeons are opinionated! They all have their own experiences and make their own decisions about what they feel is right. And they don't agree with each other.

I was only told to take A-Z multi vitamins with minerals post op.
When I went back for a check up at 6 months was asked by the consultant why I wasn't taking calcium
"Because I hadn't been told to"
At 9 months post op my blood test at my Weight Management clinic (they have always done my bloods .My WLS team have never done them) I was told I was vitamin D deficient They wrote and told my GP to give me a prescription for Adcal D3.
At 15 months out I was told that my iron stores were low and now I have to take Ferrous Sulphate (iron).
I have never had B12 injections
My Weight Management team do my bloods every 3 months to keep a check on everything
So A-Z vitamins with minerals for everyone
Calcium with D3 and iron tablets are important for everyone BUT especially for pre-menopausal ladies

I think cost comes into it but I also think consultants have there own ideas about what we need
HTH

Bit like asking how longs a piece of string!? Same as waiting times I expect, different hospitals do different things.

Most surgeons are not nutritional experts and have their own idea about the benefits and needs of correct supplementation post op.

You also have different types of surgery with their associated individual supplement needs too. I would always say follow your surgeon's advice, but in this case the risk of poor advice is too great. I was very lucky that my surgeon is very knowledgeable and doesn't worry about the costs, if you need it you need it

I was prescribed Forceval multivitamins, these are simply the best you can get, you cannot buy better. Calcium supplements, Iron supplements, and B12 injections quarterly. Add the proton pump inhibitor Lansoprazole and you have the full set.

Back