• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Post triple appt n going on milk diet. Timings n advice pls

2nd timer

Had my triple appt yesterday at Luton. They r all so lovely. Went really well and am starting the milk diet the day after Boxing Day to lose 5%. Hoping to shift a stone in less than a month. You never know there may even be a cancellation n I can get to c surgeon ASAP. Wondering the time scale now if all goes ahead ????? My dilemma is we're going on holiday mid April for two weeks so I very very much doubt I will have op in time to heal and eat food again before we go. Unless I'm very very lucky. !!! How long after by pass op did it take ppl to feel confident in their eating small food? I know its sensible to wait until after hols, but really don't want to wait many more months where I could be on the losing side . Comments very welcome and advice xxx

Depends on your provider mine you had to do 4 weeks on fluids then 2 weeks on puree'd then 2 weeks on mushy food, other providers have different guidelines so its best to ask, I REALLY want a cracker something to munch and crunch on but I have to toe the line as this operation WILL work for me :)

Mine was 4 weeks purée and liquid now 4 weeks soft some crunchy, then start to bring in more normal from then but slowly.

I was at Luton and I started the milk diet in Jan 2012, I didn't have my op until June 2012, although they originally fixed the date for the end of May but I couldn't do it.

You will have another couple of weeks on the milk diet before the op and then around a month on liquids and thin puree before starting on mashed food.

I found the first few months very restrictive and had to get used to how my body was dealing with things. I went on my summer holiday 8 weeks after the op and by then i was on soft food and more normal meals in very very small quantities.

I was at Luton and I started the milk diet in Jan 2012, I didn't have my op until June 2012, although they originally fixed the date for the end of May but I couldn't do it.

You will have another couple of weeks on the milk diet before the op and then around a month on liquids and thin puree before starting on mashed food.

I found the first few months very restrictive and had to get used to how my body was dealing with things. I went on my summer holiday 8 weeks after the op and by then i was on soft food and more normal meals in very very small quantities.

Thanks Hun. Really useful :) I'm realistic that I will have op after my hols. Ill lose my 5 % then wait. Do you know if I put weight on on hols, whether I have to lose it again before they consider surgery ? It's all incl hols, so if I can't have op before, would be good to have a good time n not live on lettuce leaves lol x

If you put weight on hon, and you're NHS they can refuse to let you carry on. You musn't gain in between appts.

If you put weight on hon, and you're NHS they can refuse to let you carry on. You musn't gain in between appts.

Thanks for that. No ones told me that. X

Looking long term at a different way to approach food maybe it is worth considering why you want to wait until after your holidays ? Often we equate food with having what we want to eat to be a large part of our holiday, that will never be the same again after the bypass, so if you have the bypass earlier you will be much lighter and well on your way to a new lifestyle by your holidays.
If it is due to the travel insurance for maybe abroad then it will be sensible to wait as some companies will not cover you for travel for 12 months after surgery.
Whatever you decide good luck with it the outcome is worth the change in lifestyle. x

Looking long term at a different way to approach food maybe it is worth considering why you want to wait until after your holidays ? Often we equate food with having what we want to eat to be a large part of our holiday, that will never be the same again after the bypass, so if you have the bypass earlier you will be much lighter and well on your way to a new lifestyle by your holidays.
If it is due to the travel insurance for maybe abroad then it will be sensible to wait as some companies will not cover you for travel for 12 months after surgery.
Whatever you decide good luck with it the outcome is worth the change in lifestyle. x

Thanks, I would have it done tomo, but there's no room to do me yet, but its unlikely ill be able to have it till after my holiday or just before n that won't be able to happen. Once I'm at end if my milk diet next month ill see if there is a cancellation, if not its may June or after :((

Once you have lost your 5% you should be told that you must not go above a certain amount as they will accept the risk of your op at that weight, but no higher. And you will have to start over if you gain any in between appts.

Weighed again today, in at 18s 2.5 pounds. That's 16.5 pounds lost in 5 days ! Phoned Luton to ask if I could be brought forward for my appt. to see the surgeon which is now 3rd feb. I've lost more than my 5%. Receptionist said no , I asked to speak to the bariatric nurse to discuss with her. Many assertive reminders later, she agreed to get me phoned to discuss ! Got a phone call back n more assertive discussions later agreed to make me do two weeks on milk diet n then i have to get gp to weigh me n fax them with my weight so they can decide if I can be seen early or not n if there is a cancellation for an operation imminently. So I had to be firm, as dr haslam told me to be, but i got a response. If I don't have the operation in the next month, it won't be until the summer, so fingers crossed please :)

previous bander, now awaiting by pass or sleeve this year.

Hey, I'm a second timer too. Hd the band 12 years ago in Paris with little support and now told the answer is bypass. So I'm off to Oxford. I'm hoping this will finally be my answer. I did get fund my band and therefore put on weight, but I am hoping the Bypass can't offer loop holes like the band does.

Hey, I'm a second timer too. Hd the band 12 years ago in Paris with little support and now told the answer is bypass. So I'm off to Oxford. I'm hoping this will finally be my answer. I did get fund my band and therefore put on weight, but I am hoping the Bypass can't offer loop holes like the band does.

That's brill jevf. On the 2nd journey we go together then Hun. At our request there is now a revision section on here, pls post there too :) good luck

Being weighed in officially at the GPs Tuesday for my two weeks milk diet to lose 5%. On 2nd jan my weight was 19.5 starkers. Now at the end of my first week I'm 18.1 1/2 so by sticking to it to the t I've lost 17.5 lbs! Very pleased and coping well :))) wish this would carry on but I know it slows rapidly :(

Back