• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Potato Ricer

bexmoss86

I was watching a cooking program tonight and to make mashed potato, he used a ricer and it looked well lush. Now, ive seen these on telly before but ive never seen them in shops. I know you can get them online but does anyone know where I can get one from like a supermarket or on the high street?

They are really useful things to have - much easier and quicker than trying to mash things by hand, particularly if you are dealing with small quantities. They are great for making pureed root veg and they don't turn the veg "glue-ey" which can be the problem when you try and use a blender.

love

TillyBob

Tillybob, this is a great idea, does it make things pureed enough for the puree stage do you think?

Tillybob, this is a great idea, does it make things pureed enough for the puree stage do you think?
I am pre-op so I don't have hands on knowledge about "acceptable" levels of puree but I do know that it makes the best, smooth and NON-LUMPY mash with just one squeeze. (I don't actually like mash but OH loves it and I have to make a (veggie) shepherd's pie quite often) A great traditional design (Victorian or earlier?)

Most of them come with different discs that put the food through at different levels of fine-ness

It is great for pureed sweet potato and cauliflower etc but it is obviously not right for purees that are very, very sloppy with a lot of added liquids.

love

TillyBob

Last edited:
Thanks for that, I might give it a bit of a try xx

I was watching a cooking program tonight and to make mashed potato, he used a ricer and it looked well lush. Now, ive seen these on telly before but ive never seen them in shops. I know you can get them online but does anyone know where I can get one from like a supermarket or on the high street?

Hi, I got my potato ricer in TK Maxx, I think it was £9.99 and its great for mash potatoes for cottage pie's etc

Thanks for all your replies. Im going to head off to Ikea this eve and try and get one :D

sorry guys is it like a garlic press but for potatoes? i know i'm a ignoramus....

sorry guys is it like a garlic press but for potatoes? i know i'm a ignoramus....
Exactly like a garlic press but a wee bit bigger (in fact Ikea actually call it a Potato Press rather than a ricer (which is the proper name)). Cooked potato goes in and mashed potato comes out with the minimum of messing about.

I cannot believe I have been eulogising about a potato ricer all day :eek::D

love

TillyBob

Woooo got one from Ikea, my mum treated me to a few things for the flat. Im just about to test it now I hope its as good as it looks :D

Back