• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pouch Pain

Grace

This is geting ridiculous. And scary. Twice now this week this has happened to me. On Tuesday whilst out in York doing a Christmas food shop, I had a small and very healthy lunch out - I was very pleased with myself for making such a good choice! - grilled rump steak salad. I ate about 3 oz of steak and a small amount of salad. But the steak was a bit tough and chewy. About an hour and a half later, I was literally in agony. At first, I thought my gut had perforated again! :eek::eek::eek::eek: But I got home, took some Tramadol, fell asleep and the pain passed. I just felt sore the next day.

Last night we had chicken burritos for tea: one of my very favourite meals. We have it with cheese (low fat cheddar), low fat creme fraiche, salsa and guacaomole. I had 2 tacos, but only managed one and a half. I enjoyed it SOOOOOOOO much!
But therein I think, lies the problem. I enjoyed it so much that I perhaps ignored Polly Pouch's little whispers of,
"stop now, I'm getting full." ....and....... "STOP NOW...TOO MUCH GRACE!!!!!!!"

so...after reluctantly leaving half the food on my plate (admitedly there was far too much on my plate in the first place! :eek:) after about 15 minutes, the pain started up again! And sadly I had to drive to Ripon (about 40 minutes drive there and the same back) to pick up my son and some friends of his, from a concert they were singing in, in Ripon Cathedral.

Hubby was getting concerned, as I was almost doubled over in pain as I left the house. He wanted me to not go;I didn't either, truth be told.... but I couldn't see how else son and his pals would get home if I didn't. (hubby doesn't drive)
I managed to make it to Ripon, in increasing pain and also feeling extremely sick, but as soon as I got there, I had to dive out of the car, and retched and retched...an attack of the foamies had come on whilst driving...

.........so there I was, puking right outside Ripon cathedral! I was mortified, especially since other people were obviously waiting fore their kids too and watched the whole sorry and undignified performance! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

The pain eased a little after I'd puked (sorry, TMI I know!) and the drive back was less frantic. But as we reached home, the pain began again.:eek:

I crawled up to bed, took some pills, including Tramadol, lay down...and promptly was up again, retching my guts up. Obviously even a few pills and some water to wash them down with, was too much of an insult for Polly to bear in her very bad mood! :eek::eek::eek:

Oh my word....the pain was simply agonising. I'm putting it down to eating too much.
I eventually fell asleep last night, but it took ages for the pain to settle.

Today I'm tender and sore and daren't eat much at all.

I suppose the good news is that my restriction, 4 and a half months out, is still excellent.:) And it's a salutary lesson not to overeat, especially with all the temptations of Christmas coming up. :p

But it's hard, when Polly Pouch doesn't tend to let me know much until it's basically too late!:( So I'm going to have to learn to guage much better what might be too much and cause this pain, so as to avoid it!

Has anyone else suffered to this degree? and if so, can you give any advice?
Grace xxx

My OH does with his sleeve, he can never tell when he has eaten too much till it is too late! Its difficult to know what to suggest, he is on alot of anti sickness to get him through it. All i can suggest is to eat more slowly, and maybe stick to some easy food for a couple of days just to give Polly a rest xx

Hi was just wondering maybe u should keep a little diary over the next few weeks of all the food u ate and how u felt after in case this is not just poss eating 2 much but maybe u could have a little prob that needs sorting out.
If it only happens after eating certain foods then u can say for the mo i am going to not eat those foods till my pouch likes them a bit better, or if this seems to be happening on a regular basis after most foods then i would def say pls get in touch with your team.
The reason i am saying this is from having probs for the past 5 months and having 3 ops to hopefully have dealt with the prob one of the probs being i had a narrowing which caused me to have serious pains after eating, retching and vomiting.
Def if u keep a food diary for a week or 2 u will def know for sure if its a pattern or just an odd occasion here or there.
Hope this prob goes as fast as it came, take care luv Roch xxx

Many thanks Roche and that's a very good idea. I will do that.

You may know I have already had one problem; I had a perforated gut (don't know where just that it definitely was perforated) at 8 weeks post-op. I too, ended up back in hospital having more major and open surgery.

It has made me pretty nervous. The pain I've been having is similar though passes and is not quite as bad. I do have a tiny bit of shoulder tip pain with it though, which is very scary.
Grace xxx

Hi Grace, if its not one thing its another.............hope you dont have to put up with this every time you eat that extra bit. Is this all related to wls as it sounds awful. Take it easy love xxx

Yes love I'm afarid it is....but it's a good motivator to not over-eat! :cool::rolleyes::D
I'm taking it very steady today and eating almost back to immediately post-op portions!
Hugs
Grace xxx

Grace i'm with you on this. I've only had it a couple of times, unfortunately the last time was Friday at Trev's relatives.... I ate too much, which is not something i usually do as i am careful to stop before i feel full...

We'd been out most the day and i'd been intending to have lunch, took Trev for an interview, after 45 minutes i could wait no longer so ate some of a french stick with butter on that i'd prepared for if the kids were hungry.... Anyhow 30 minutes later himself reappears so we drive back to his families where his lovely brother has prepared veggie spicy rice and tandoori chicken with poppadums and samosas. I felt like i could manage a bit so did literally have spoon of rice, a couple of slices of chicken breast and a samosa. I left most the rice (delicious as it was) and nibbled slowly on the chicken and half a poppadum... I knew when the others had pudding that i'd had too much. The pain was uncomfortable and i went to the loo hoping it would come back and be all over with. Unfortunately it didn't, i spent a lot of time in the bathroom bent over double shifting slime and burping and after 20 minutes felt easier...

I think we sometimes think with our old fat heads and even though we put less on the plate we still overdo it!

It's great to know the restriction is still there....

My advice to you is monitor it, keep a diary if you need too... But also when you are making something you really like just have half the amount and if you still think you are hungry an hour later have a bit more!

Feeling your pain and sending you lots of love xx

Grace i'm with you on this. I've only had it a couple of times, unfortunately the last time was Friday at Trev's relatives.... I ate too much, which is not something i usually do as i am careful to stop before i feel full...

We'd been out most the day and i'd been intending to have lunch, took Trev for an interview, after 45 minutes i could wait no longer so ate some of a french stick with butter on that i'd prepared for if the kids were hungry.... Anyhow 30 minutes later himself reappears so we drive back to his families where his lovely brother has prepared veggie spicy rice and tandoori chicken with poppadums and samosas. I felt like i could manage a bit so did literally have spoon of rice, a couple of slices of chicken breast and a samosa. I left most the rice (delicious as it was) and nibbled slowly on the chicken and half a poppadum... I knew when the others had pudding that i'd had too much. The pain was uncomfortable and i went to the loo hoping it would come back and be all over with. Unfortunately it didn't, i spent a lot of time in the bathroom bent over double shifting slime and burping and after 20 minutes felt easier...

I think we sometimes think with our old fat heads and even though we put less on the plate we still overdo it!

It's great to know the restriction is still there....

My advice to you is monitor it, keep a diary if you need too... But also when you are making something you really like just have half the amount and if you still think you are hungry an hour later have a bit more!

Feeling your pain and sending you lots of love xx

Thanks so much Julie. Yes I said to hubby last night that maybe I shouldn't eat food I like so much at all! But the wise way to go is to be very strict and just eat a tiny portion, isn't it? I never did have much will power, especially when it comes to my favourite foods; I've always been a bit of a greedy guts!

I suspect I've learnt my lesson now! I'm still so sore.
How are you feeling now Julie?
Grace xxx

I'm great thanks Grace. Had a sensitive pouch yesterday when it came to quiche and salad but later on managed my tea no problems...

Luckily it appears the ex MIL is on the improve too :) and i hope to hear tomorrow if i have my new job which will be based in Bath and means relocation for me and my family xx

Perhaps the answer is that the food was all stuff you used to love,I know what its like to eat stuff with abandon,look at my plate and say where the hell did that go!Plus steak and burritos would be pretty hard to digest even eaten slowly.You now know to be extra vigilent,that way you work with your surgery not against it.Hope you feel lots better.Maz x

Thanks so much Julie. Yes I said to hubby last night that maybe I shouldn't eat food I like so much at all! But the wise way to go is to be very strict and just eat a tiny portion, isn't it? I never did have much will power, especially when it comes to my favourite foods; I've always been a bit of a greedy guts!

I suspect I've learnt my lesson now! I'm still so sore.
How are you feeling now Julie?
Grace xxx

Nooo, having wls isn't about giving up the food you love! It's about making sure that your eyes aren't bigger than your pouch (not your belly lol). I love steak and chew it well and have no problems with it....

Just have a little bit and you'll be okay xxx

Nooo, having wls isn't about giving up the food you love! It's about making sure that your eyes aren't bigger than your pouch (not your belly lol). I love steak and chew it well and have no problems with it....

Just have a little bit and you'll be okay xxx

LOL! I keep holding up my thumb and looking at it and then thinking,"what on earth can I fit in there?"
No wonder I was in pain. I ate a small fist's worth!
I've been fine with steak up to now, but the one I had on Tuesday was a bit gristly and chewy. I shall just have to order fillet in future!:D

Ive had this too Grace, Ive had at least 4-5 episodes of this. Its usually with beef or some kind of meat with me. I think I either eat too quickly or dont chew it enough and then I get the pain and OMG is it sore! It sometimes follows with the rabid dog syndrome but not always. I also think it happens if I eat a bit too much so its all probably the same thing. I need to watch portions of things I enjoy too, and make sure I eat more slowly.....Hope things improve for you :D
Pleased to hear your MIL is still improving Julie, Thinking of you and your family :D XX

I have found that if I've hurt my pouch one day by either eating too much or eating something too dry or not chewing properly, I tend not to be able to eat much the day after and so stick to softer mushy foods to allow any inflammation to go down. My bariatric nurse said that after trauma the entrance to the pouch can get a bit swollen so it would be better to allow it time to settle down. Hope this helps.

Hi all, just wondering what size portion do you eat once you are fully recovered and for life really.

Roast dinner
Sandwiches
Cereal
Soup
What about if you have a treat say a piece of cake, trifle etc?
Also can you drink fruit juice, ovaltine, smoothies etc?

Thanks

Linski xxx

I'm another one Grace trends to happen to me if I eat too fast as opposed to too much. Ive had it happen with spag bol and meat and boy can it hurt sometimes. Ive never been sick but i feel as if someone has punched my pouch hard. Thats why i eat quite often as i find if i wait till i'm too hungry i eat too fast. Hope it passes soon hun big hugs xx

Hi all, just wondering what size portion do you eat once you are fully recovered and for life really.

Roast dinner
Sandwiches
Cereal
Soup

Thanks

Linski xxx

Roast dinner Id have a childs size, slice of meat or 2, I small potato or bit of mash and 2-3 egg cups of veggies plus gravy.
I dont have sandwiches, not eaten bread yet.
Cereal: I have one weetabix with plenty of milk.
Soup, not had much since liquid stage...was sick of it lol but probably half a tin :D
Not had any cake or trifle, too scared to dump :eek:
Not had smoothies but you could, NAS is fine, not tried Ovaltine :D
Hope this helps! XX

Roast dinner

a small teaplate's worth. 2 small pieces of meat, one small potato, maybe a desert-spoon's worth of veg, 1/2 a yorkshire pud. That's the most I could manage at the moment.

Sandwiches

can't manage bread at all Linski so I don't eat sandwiches.

Cereal

I can still only manage 1/2 a weetabix, or about 3-4 desert-spoon-fuls of cornflakes.

Soup

I can manage a whole small tin now. It's liquid so you don't feel te rstricion anywhere near as much.

Can't eat cake; I'd probably dump. But if I ate it and was ok, I wouldn't be able to eat anything else for a few hours. I haven't tried trifle yet. But I am hoping to have a tiny bit on Christmas day.

I can manage a small glass of juice, but not ovaltine or a smoothy. Not yet anyhow.

Thanks

Linski xxx

I hope that helps.
Grace xxx

Thanks Dotty and Grace. It does help me as I am trying to get my head around everything ready for my op.

Thanks again

Linski xxxx

I'm another one Grace trends to happen to me if I eat too fast as opposed to too much. Ive had it happen with spag bol and meat and boy can it hurt sometimes. Ive never been sick but i feel as if someone has punched my pouch hard. Thats why i eat quite often as i find if i wait till i'm too hungry i eat too fast. Hope it passes soon hun big hugs xx

Allie that's exactly how's its felt today: as if I'd been punched or even kicked by a mule! :eek:
I think I do need to try to eat a bit more often too.
Grace xxx

Back