• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre-op diet & diabetes

leedsjeff

Well started pre-op diet to a bit of a disaster going hypo, (low blood sugars) but I have lowered insulin a bit now. Information from surgeon said to half insulin but that wasn’t enough still low sugar levels and taking extra sugar and food just defeats the diet. I spoke to my diabetic team were very helpful but said there is no one answer just to drop insulin but try not to drop too low.

finding today to be a bit hard just keep thinking about foods. like before diet started I had Chinese for last supper but thinking “I wish id had fish an chips “that sort of thing.

About the diet it says the low fat, carbohydrate and calories it says I can have salad with 2 oz of meat/fish/half fat cheese for lunch but the meat is measured but how much salad can I have does anyone have an idea.

OH just for people who don’t know about insulin

Too much insulin = low blood sugars
Too little insulin = high blood sugars

I had the same thing mate. Keep an eye on your sugar level and in two weeks you might not have to worry about insulin levels again. Good luck

Jeff you are on the same diet plan as me n Marky

Salad I have a plate full as its all veggies. and 2oz chicken usually
same goes for a meal and veggies, I have a big pile of veggies and the 2oz protein. I put it to myself that veggies are good for you and I havent added anything to them except pepper.

Ive also gotten into making chicken, butternut squash chips and a veggie. Looks like meat chips n veg, we mostly eat with our eyes so that makes it look pretty good, and they are yummy lol

Takes a couple of days to get into it you will be fine.
Also if Im hungry I put the kettle on, make a brew and also make a chicken bovril. Takes the hunger away. :D

Good luck and remember, its not going to be a fialed diet as you are getting surgery :)

thanks elffie01 yeah guess its the same & same hospital
ive been havin a barny with wife cos she says i can only have a small amount if salad an veg. my op is on 24th aug ......good luck with youre jeff

you could ring Glenda and ask her but i dont think you have to restrict your veggies, I could be wrong though:D its the carbs cals and fat you are reducing not much in the veggies except potatoes !

i had a big palte of salad for tea, made up of iceberg lettuce, toms, cue, spring onions and beetroot, 3 small new tats, and 2 oz chicken, the chicken wasn't worth picking out my teeth, but the potatoes and big salad filled me up no probs, i have been very good for the last 2 months so hunger isn't a prob for me, you'll be fine bud, top up with fluids if you're feeling peckish, either water, low sugar squash or diet coke or similar

I was'nt on the same diet, mine was milk and yoghurt but my sugar levels dropped rapidly. I made some veggie soup and swapped a pint of milk for a cup of soup and I felt much better. Good luck with the rest of your pre op dietx

Well day 2 and surprisingly I am not hungry at all, sugar is normal. Been up since 5 but just had cup of tea its 10.30 now and going to have breakfast and not sure I believe how I am feeling, am finding it a bit hard to concentrate on work stuff and wife says I am a bit irritable but we still talking so cant be that bad lol

Now I am having the wobbles about op “do I need op if I can do without food for one day why can’t I just keep eating properly”

Well day 2 and surprisingly I am not hungry at all, sugar is normal. Been up since 5 but just had cup of tea its 10.30 now and going to have breakfast and not sure I believe how I am feeling, am finding it a bit hard to concentrate on work stuff and wife says I am a bit irritable but we still talking so cant be that bad lol

Now I am having the wobbles about op “do I need op if I can do without food for one day why can’t I just keep eating properly”

would the surgeon have recommended you have surgery if he thought you were so good at keeping the weight off?? that's (of course) why we're doing what we are...my father in law has said the same to me, it's ok losing weight for a while, but maintaining it is a different matter!! you're doing the right thing bud, but the ole 2nd thoughts do and will crop up!! ;)

Back