• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Diet failure

Augustine

Hi I am back after being absent for a while. I have recently being allocated in the 12 weeks diet programme combined with physio where I was supposed to lose 5% of my weight . Start well after 6 weeks had already loss 4 kilo which I was pleased then my son got sick was out for school and I missed two session with the dietitian stay at home eating more than a portion size and exercise every day for 30 minute and never missed the session with the physio. To cut it short went back on the last meeting with the dietitian and realised I have put on 1 more kg instead of loosing it and it was the last session of the 12 weeks. All together I have loss 3 kg instead of 6. She told me that I cannot be referred for the surgery and that I have to come back in 12 weeks in which I have to prove them that I can diet on my own. Even if I have loss some weight I have to start another 12 weeks diet programme with her. I fell so annoying to myself of not be able to control my portion size. I felt like a failure after reading all those amazing stories on this website how you all did well. I was starting of hoping for a new me.

Don't beat yourself up. It happened and no doubt you have learnt from your mistakes. Most of us who have done well on here have done so because we were either on the pre-op diet for the surgery so were well motivated to shrink our livers, or we have had the surgery so cannot eat more. 12 weeks is a long time to keep yourself motivated on your own, particularly when life gives you lemons.

Do what us post oppers have to do - use a smaller plate to control your portion size and when you are struggling, find a distraction or post on here how you are feeling.

I was being monitored for 18 months before I had the surgery, and still managed to put a little bit back on near the end, so know how hard it can be.

You can do it!!!

Augustine, please don't beat yourself up, although what you see on here may be success stories before surgery or after surgery, what you wont see are all the times many people have tried and failed before. Most of us have had to pick ourselves back up, focus again and try try try to be successful in our weight loss.

Sometimes life gets in the way, as you discovered, but the thing is not to give up and go backwards, but to focus on the fact that you have another chance and another 12 weeks of support. Surgery is such a big life change that sometimes it is better to have a longer preparation prior to surgery - it is not easy to adjust to eating after surgery, to try and maintain protein levels, fluid intake, small portions, adjust to tiny portion sizes even though our heads might want us to eat more. So any extra preparation that might help you in the future will be worth it.

Certainly don't think of yourself as a failure - as @SAM55 said, you can do it, focus on the end goal and why you want it. If it helps, put post-it notes on the fridge/cupboards with reasons why to keep you focussed. It helped me!

This is do-able. I too have to lose 5%.
Don't give up on yourself, make a promise to yourself because you are worth it.
Try and have a very large drink of water or squash just before your meal, this will help you not eat such big portions.
You can do this......we WILL do this , it's so gonna be worth it! Xx

All the above are absolutely right in what they say don't beat yourself up if you really tried and you did lose weight then you were on the right tracks so if you did it once you can do it again
Find something to distract you when the food demons come to visit, paint your nails chew some ice,dance around the living room to your favourite track (!) do a wish list of things you want for your new you,new clothes,haircut,holiday whatever floats your boat and hopefully the food demon got a kick up its button
You can do this!!!

I struggled to lose any weight at all prior to the LRD.I would lose the kg and then next time I saw the dietitian, I would have gained it all back again. I did wait over 4 years for surgery, but this was partly due to my uni course - it had to be the right time for me to succeed with WLS. You will do it, it's hard work, as you know, but you're not a failure. We've all been there

Absolutely we all know how hard it is. Keep going. I know how difficult it is to jump through all the hoops to get to surgery but it's worth it and you will get there x

Back