• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre-Op Diet - Severe Food Cravings :-(

ejc1905

Six Month Post Op
Hello All,

I have my op booked for Wednesday 2nd September at the Highgate Hospital (private with the WLS Group) and am on day 5 of my pre-op diet.

I am on a diet consisting of 3 slimfasts + soup + 5 pieces of fruit/veg a day and though I am not hungry, i keep seeing & smelling all this wonderful food which I sooooo wanna eat. My daughters simple ham sandwich looked like a dream today!! Anyone else have these cravings & what did you do?

Stick with it, the cravings will go and the last thing you want is to be refused surgery because your liver hasnt shrunk!

Good luck you will be fine.

Just keep in your mind why you are doing this. Look at some inspirational weight loss stories, look at some pics on here etc. Think about all youve gone through to get the operation, is that piece of food you can smell really worth it?

hi hun,

I was on 7 day yoghurt diet. All i was allowed to eat was yoghurt. I know exactly how you feel, it was very hard. all you can do is keep your eye on the prize! last thing you want is to wake up in recovery to be told they couldnt do the op.
All the best and drink plenty of water.
xxxx

hi, i'm in my 2nd week pre opp diet now, and have to be on it for 4 weeks. i can have 4 pints milk, 1 oxo, 1 sugar free jelly per day. i'm not hungery but i am weak and sleepy all the time (not good when i'm at work) i say to my workmates i'm going to eat tonight, and i realy mean it, but when i get home i dont. i think just saying i'm going to eat helps.

Hello All,

I have my op booked for Wednesday 2nd September at the Highgate Hospital (private with the WLS Group) and am on day 5 of my pre-op diet.

I am on a diet consisting of 3 slimfasts + soup + 5 pieces of fruit/veg a day and though I am not hungry, i keep seeing & smelling all this wonderful food which I sooooo wanna eat. My daughters simple ham sandwich looked like a dream today!! Anyone else have these cravings & what did you do?

Im post op 1 week out , I made the kids some ham sandwiches the other day and sooo wanted to make myself one...but I had to make myself a cup of bovril instead :(

Pre op, every time I wanted something the kids had or OH had then I went for the chicken bovril as its more filling than a drink of tea :)

Hold out it will all be over soon :D

hi, i'm in my 2nd week pre opp diet now, and have to be on it for 4 weeks. i can have 4 pints milk, 1 oxo, 1 sugar free jelly per day. i'm not hungery but i am weak and sleepy all the time (not good when i'm at work) i say to my workmates i'm going to eat tonight, and i realy mean it, but when i get home i dont. i think just saying i'm going to eat helps.

:eek::eek: Sue, why are you on your pre-op diet for 4 weeks???????? :eek::eek:

Hello All,

Hi,
I am pre-op and don't have a date yet, but as others have said - stick with it. You have come so far to get to this stage.
I love Julia's phrase - keep your eye on the prize. xx

Thank you so much everyone. In the end I had to go for a walk & noticed that when I am doing something else, its not bothering me... worried this means I am going to have to work 18 hours a day lol!

Julia - Very wise statement keeping your eye on the prize. My hubbie kept telling me "you've lost 4lbs already and thats without the band - imagine what will happen with the band..." and the idea of waking up & being told it couldn't happen cos my liver hasn't shrunk enough is my worst nightmare!!!

Need to keep busy I guess!!!

It does get easier as your body gives up complaining it needs more food and finally accepts you are not listening.

Take every day/hour/5 minutes if necessary and commit to yourself you will stick to the liver reduction diet.

It is so worth it - not only for WLS(for which it is vital) but also as a general health thing. I had some blood tests recently and my liver function was NORMAL for the first time in years.

Very best of luck - and when you need help/support, post here. It really helped me durinig pre-op (and after of course).

x

Hello All,

You could use aversion therapy and imagine the sandwich has maggots in it.

Or just focus on the fantastic life you are going to have as a much healthier and slimmer person.

Good luck

(((hugs)))

Thank you so much everyone. In the end I had to go for a walk & noticed that when I am doing something else, its not bothering me... worried this means I am going to have to work 18 hours a day lol!

Julia - Very wise statement keeping your eye on the prize. My hubbie kept telling me "you've lost 4lbs already and thats without the band - imagine what will happen with the band..." and the idea of waking up & being told it couldn't happen cos my liver hasn't shrunk enough is my worst nightmare!!!

Need to keep busy I guess!!!
wise with hindsight hun! lol
I think the best advice i read on here was from Karlos. Remember you only have to do it for today! tomorrow doesn't matter and neither do your long term goals, just do it for today.

You could use aversion therapy and imagine the sandwich has maggots in it.

Or just focus on the fantastic life you are going to have as a much healthier and slimmer person.
Good luck

(((hugs)))

Nice one with the maggots. Or a sandwich made of bogies, or roadkill. Crisps made of crunchy cockroaches. Chocolate made of poo. The possibilities are endless!

hehe - maybe that tatic would work on my hubby - he has a major crisp thing going on...

Back