• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre- op diet with diabetes 2 ... Is it safe?

Butterfly38

Hi all, does anyone know if it's safe to do the milk diet if you have type 2 diabetes???? Also is it skimmed milk U drink?????

Depends on which diet you're given. I'm on skimmed milk, only 200ml though. Best go black with your teas/ coffee's. If on medication you'll need to test your blood approx 3 times a day and note the readings - incase your sugar levels falls or increase. Any drastic changes, consult your bariatric team.
I'm type 2 and doing ok so far on the diet.

To be honest, the hosp gave me a low fat low call diet but it's too much choice for me lol I'd rather do the milk diet as its stricter and less choices. Hospital one wasn't very clear so just thought I may try milk. I'm only newly diagnosed with diabetes and my nurse said they don't give out blood sugar machines anymore as its not needed to check my bloods..... Found that strange?? I'm on 6 metformin a day plus 1 saxagliptin to try n get h bloods under 5 currently 7.6 joe if that makes any sense to u. Anyway, thanks for the info it's very helpful. Good luck for your op joe

I was wondering this. I have only recently been diagnosed and wasn't sure if this would be a barrier to the op.

It won't be a barrier paddy, as u can do the low carb low fat low everything diet haha I would just of prefered to do the milk one. Are u on medication?

I am glad to hear that. I have only recently been diagnosed and am on metformin. Was worried that I won't be suitable for the op because of it.

No don't worry,I was diagnosed on oct, bit of a shock but has totally changed my attitude towards food.... Also had prepared me a little for after op. it won't be a barrier as its seen as a co- morbidity and basically having one is another tick towards funding for your op.

If I get the funding etc I'll be having it in Taunton. I was referred over a year ago but have really struggled to meet the weight loss targets although I have just managed to scrape in. My last appointment with the obesity management centre is end of Feb this year and at that point I hope to be referred to Taunton. After that I suppose it's just another waiting game.

Hi,does anyone know if you can take painkillers while your on the milk diet,(paracetamol,codeine ).obviously the reason for the diet is to shrink the liver but paracetamol has a bad effect on it, help if you can ,thank you

Hi

Pain killers are fine on the milk diet, Paracetamol is only a problem to the liver if you take too many, stick to the recomended dose and it does no damage at all, even if taken for a long time.

Paul

Hi

Pain killers are fine on the milk diet, Paracetamol is only a problem to the liver if you take too many, stick to the recomended dose and it does no damage at all, even if taken for a long time.

Paul

Thanks Paul , I was really concerned , Linz

I am glad to hear that. I have only recently been diagnosed and am on metformin. Was worried that I won't be suitable for the op because of it.

Diabeties is one of the accepted comorbidities, so having it could be said to be a good thing, as they will fund WLS from a lower BMI, if your PCT follows nice guidelines that is. If you have type 2 they should fund if your BMI is 35, it 40 for the rest. But that's only if they follow NICE guidelines and not all PCT's do.

Fortunately mine did as my BMI was down to 35 on the day of my surgery, its now been 11 months since my surgery and its down to 26, still classed as over weight, but I am happy to have the same BMI as Dr Christian Jessen, if he can be classed as over weight I am happy to say I am as well.

Mind you considering we are the same hight and have the same BMI we don't quite look the same.

images

Back