• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre-Op diet for diabetics?

Boblatina

Title says it all really.

If your surgeon wants you to go on a pre-op diet to soften your liver and you are diabetic what type of diet do they put you on? From what I can see, the milk diet wouldn't be suitable (or safe) for a diabetic.

love

TillyBob

the low cal/carb/fat diet i've followed would be ok, you just have to keep an eye on your blood sugar levels, as you wouldn't need as much insulin as before the diet, and adjust as necessary

Thanks Mark. I'm not insulin dependent - just a very large cocktail of drugs but I take it that a similar diet would be OK for me too. (I can't do as much fine tuning with tablets as you can with insulin)

Generally what was your diet and how long did you have to stick to it pre-op or did they set you a minimum loss for you to acheive?

love

TillyBob

I am type 2 diabetic and the surgeon put me on the milk and yog diet and just told me to keep an eye on blood sugar levels and contact them if they went below 4 (on my little machine). After a week on the diet I was told I could come off all my medication and just control blood sugar through diet. Hope this helps and if you can raise the issue with your surgeon and they will advise what will be best :)

hi there i am type 2 diabetic and was told milk diet was perfectly ok for diabetics and must admit i was fine apart from dioreah so they took me off milk and put me on no carb high protien diet whch is ok
good luck

Thanks everybody - and really pleased to see that the milk diet should be alright for diabetics. I am probably a bit wierd but I could probably manage the milk better than I could manage what I have read on other threads about the low cal/carb one (as long as it doesn't last for longer than 2 weeks tops otherwise I might end up eating the dietician ;))

love

TillyBob

Back