• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre op Diet

elffie01

Im Meellttinngg!! :)
Is anyone willing to share their pre op diet with me please.? Ive tried looking for them on here but cant find
I was given one by the surgeon in his book but tbh I'd rather do the milk n soil (joking) or the bovril/oxo ones. As then I know thats all I can have..
I have been given a low fat/carb/cal one and its ok but its like any other diet if you know what I mean.
I need a strict one lol, dont know if that makes sense to anyone but there we go :rolleyes:
Im starting it on the 5th so will be on it for 12 days.

Any help appreciated.

The one I did was four pints of milk, one or two cups of Oxo/Bovril and 1 low fat yoghurt a day. You can substitute one of the pints of milk for a yoghurt if you wish.

I found the first couple of days quite hard going but after a while you got used to it and it wasn't so difficult in the end, it also gets your body used to the post op liquid diet which is good. One thing I will mention though is if you are going on this diet don't do it for more than two weeks as your body still need some vitamins and minerals to recover properly from the operation.

I guess mine has been a milk diet of sorts, using 4 packs/cartons of Cambridge Diet shakes. These are milk based with the added bonus of being nutritionally complete. Oh, plus I had a protein packed jelly every so often.

One thing I will mention though is if you are going on this diet don't do it for more than two weeks as your body still need some vitamins and minerals to recover properly from the operation.

thanks guys, I must be blind as a bat this morning lol

Im doing it for 12 days, I just need a strict one to stick to, the one they gave me looks like any other diet lol and I know how crap I am with them.

I too did "milk" diet. I didn't think that I would every be able to do it but I did 10 days (was told 7-10). It was difficult the first 2/3 days but I just kept telling myself it's going to be worth it. Diet was 4 pints semi skimmed milk
2/3 oxo/bovril drinks
1 pk sugar free jelly
tea/coffee/water

Good Luck.

thanks steve mine is not unlike that, Im just not sure I can stick to it...that sounds so pathetic lol. but I know that if I had been given the milk n yog diet or the oxo n dogfood or whatever then I can stick to it as I know thats all i can have.

We shall see, I might have changed my mind next week lol

when you have the 4pts of milk did you add anything to it ? or just drink it fresh ?

when you have the 4pts of milk did you add anything to it ? or just drink it fresh ?

make milky coffee with it, will take the blandness away

Elfie,

Hi there, I know I am a bander but would like to suggest that you stick to what you have been given by provider.

I say this as you are having open surgery, which is a longer healing period and your body will need all the strength it can muster to recover.

The diet you have been given is accounting for this, so I am sure it would be the best course of action.

You will be able to do it, don't knock yourself down before you have even begun...you know why you want this surgery and stay focused on that, 12 days is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

You will need to commit to a low fat low sugar diet after your surgery, this is the first step towards learning balanced healthy nutrition.

Grab the bull by the horns and do not let go just because you fear you "may" fail.
You have't even tried yet hun...

Good luck with your journey - you will shine like a star :)

Hi Elfie
I'm 6 days into pre op diet now and sounds similar to the one you have been given.It's a low fat low carb high protein one o basically i'm living off salads veg and meat with the odd slice of bread thrown in. Not to be too graphic but don't seem to be going to the toilet easily but i'm sure i read somewhere that this is normal. Elfie stick with it, it def does get easier as the days go on and you get used to it xx

I did allsorts with it. Warmed some with Cardamon or Cinnamon or Vanilla sweetened with sweetners, Froze some into Icelollies, made milky coffee's or just drank it straight.

Elffie - you know my thoughts on this..I just cut out the carbs for a 9 days then did the milky thing for the last two - chucked off loads of weight, didn't have a problem with hunger and the surgeon was cool with it.
Saying that - one of the reasons he was cool with it is because my BMI was only (I say 'only' very loosely there!) 36.

You know you ought to do the proper thing and do what the surgeon said and I can't condone being rebellious like I was - but it was much better and I was never hungry and it worked a treat. ;););)

Not long to go now eh?

Elfie...I've not long had my by-pass op and my consultant suggested for my pre-op diet......4 small Weight Watcher soups per day + 4 Muller Light yogs + 1 pint of semi-skimmed for drinking/tea and coffee...This I followed for 2-3 weeks and lost 10kg and found it ok to stick with....Do suggest though you also "think" about what your consultant has suggested.Best of luck.....
Mark

I did the food based diet for 2 weeks before my op. Correct me if I am wrong but the pre op diet is not specifically to lose weight but to shrink the liver I did ok but I did cheat on Xmas day and had a dinner and pudding

Thanks all for your diets and advice :)

I have been thinking about it for a few days and have now decided to stick to the diet I was given and be a good girl lol

Starting my pre op diet this friday!!! Mine is basically 5 slim fasts a day and not much else for two weeks. With the exception of any sugar free drinks and some low fat cup a soups, or piece of fruit or s f jelly. I chose this over the regular pre op diet as i want to get used to liquids and also don't want too much choice. Easyoligy as my mum puts it!!!

I've got the same surgeon as elffie01, and i've ummed and arred over what to do, i do have my protein shakes, and am thinking at 200 calories a pop, of having 4 a day, brekkie, lunch, tea and supper, i'm bound to lose weight as i have these last few weeks using it, and it makes things easier for me to manage, no choices then

Back