• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre-op diets.................why the difference in duration???

Meggie

Why is there such a HUGE difference in the amount of time people have to spend on the pre-op diet?? I am having my op at the Whittington Hospital, London on the 19th of February. I have to do the pre-op diet for 4 weeks. I've seen a few posts tonight from people who are only doing the diet for a week, including those through the NHS. Why do you think each surgeon has different views on this??? And how long did you have to do it for??

Could it be because we follow a low-carb/low-fat diet whereas some others are doing the milk diet or strict liquid diets? Maybe it takes us longer to shrink the liver? I don't know, just guessing.

Frustrating isn't it, as I think 4 weeks is a long time to stick to such a rigid diet :confused:

How you coping with it? xxx

I really think some surgeons want:
To get us to show commitment to the diet.
Us helping by shrinking the liver to aide it being shifted about during the op.
Us to realise and proove we are ready and aware of the massive lifestyle/eating change we are about to undertake.
To lose weight and help the surgery team operate and keep us as safe as possiable.
or
They are bloody sadists and want to see us starve :D

Lengths and types of diet really do come down to each surgeons preference and i would imagine experiences i imagine.

I was put on a six week liver shrinking milk diet but due to a cancellation on the day ended up doing it for nine weeks, but on a good note did lose four and a half stone in that time.
Trick for me was lots of water and keep busy........

Good luck with your journey and if your ever wavering pop in here and get some straight talking support x

I've had to do mine for 2 weeks - 4 pints s/s milk and 2 pints other liquid only per day. First couple of days were the worst - hunger pangs etc. Now I could almost exist on milk only - apart from the continuous trips to the loo!!! I guess its a good way of preparing your body for surgery and it gets you in the right frame of mind for how you will cope with less food for the rest of your life.

one thing i do know is if you stuggle at that stage yr probably going to struggle during the 6 weeks after surgery. i wish i had had longer on the liver shrinking diet as i only had 5 days as i got a cancellation. luckly my liver was small enough but it really is a good time to get the right mindset for what is to follow.
But the energy levels that you get are fantastic.

Totally agree with both Bully and Hopelesscase, except for the energy levels; mine never did rise during the liver shrinking diet!! :rolleyes:

I had to do it for two weeks and could choose which one to do; I went for 4 Slimfasts a day plus an oxo drink. It was hell lol!! :D

Cuppa xx

Hi all

As we all know the liver shrinking diet from hell is intended to drain the glycogen (glucose) from the liver, the liver shrinks down to half its normal size and therefore the surgeon can use a lever to lever it out of the way whilst he perfoms the op ! The diet isn't intended to help or make the paitent lose weight pre the operation.

It takes 5-7 days on a low fat, low cal liquid diet to drain the liver to its optimal size. The 1 week liquid diet i was given was 800 cals a day, to be honest i was so keyed up for the op i found it pretty easy to maintain, and the week flew by.

Different surgeons use different pre op diets, some use a low cal diet thats not as servere or hard on the paitent to slowly reduce the glycogen in the belief its easier to follow, others use the milk diet etc etc, its just hit and miss, though knowing now what i know if i were going through this again i'd ask my surgeon what pre op i could do and if i didn't like the option he gave discuss a different sort, they are experts at what they do, but you know and understand how your likely to react to a set pre op diet, you may be like me and find a week of liquid low cal easier to handle than 4 weeks on a fat reduced low cal diet, or even the dreaded milk diet, if you suggested a liguid replacement for a week they might agree to it, end of the day he needs your liver shrunk to do the op, how you do that could be be open for discussion !

I'm currently on a 1700 cal a day diet as I need to lose weight before I next see my consultant, but I'll continue with this until I start the pre-op diet now. I'm choosing my foods carefully so I'm able to eat quite a lot and not feel hungry.

If I want a treat it means I have to increase my exercise to earn it. Son won't allow me to have a treat unless I've already done the workout as he knows if I say I'll burn it off tomorrow that I probably won't! :8855:

I don't know how flexible my consultant is over choosing your own pre-op diet, it seems most Whitt patients do the 4 week low carb one, but I think I'd get on better doing 7-10 days on low fat/carb liquids. Can't do the milk one as I can't tolerate drinking it straight... only small amounts on cereal or in sauces/custard/hot chocolate etc.

If I have to do the 4 week one then so-be-it... I'll just have to halve what I'm eating now!

I did 2 weeks on the low fat low carb diet someone else who had the op the same day had to do hers for 4 weeks and it was the same surgeon !!!
no idea

I am doing the 4 week low carb one. I'm doing well during the day but then struggling at night. I haven't eaten any crap (which is amazing for me!!!) or drank any alcohol for a week, but need to find less carb heavy options for the evening. Going shopping tonight after work as I bought a load of chicken and mince but have nothing to go with it!! I think I need to stop being so hard on myself as I'm actually doing pretty well!!!

Guess each surgeon is different!!

Mine was only for 5 days and I had the tiniest liver my surgeon said.

good post i was wondering that too :)

Last edited:
I've started a low cal as I've asked to be contacted if any cancellations, but I'm flippin struggling. Quite interested in the milk diet but don't want to go there until I know for sure when it's going to be.
Whatever the weather me losing some weight won't hurt before the op so I'm going to carry on.
Tis strange all the variations though xxxx

When I had my op there were 2 other women in at the same time having theirs and neither had done a liver shrinking diet as both had been given last minute operation dates.

I am not sure how I would have coped doing the pre op for a month tbh and I have to say, the yoghurt/soup liver shrinker was good for me as it took away choice and the 2 weeks flew by. I had been dreading it but when I finally went onto it, I was amazed at how easy I found it, I never got hungry once and infact I never managed to eat more than 2 yoghurts a day and 2 small tins of ww soup (we were supposed to have 4 of each a day) I used the milk up in milky coffee and managed to consume the 2L water a day.

It is yet another example of lack of consistency where wls is concerned in this country. I would say as long as you have shrunk your liver then it shouldnt really matter which pre op diet you have used come ths day of the surgery.

Good luck Meggie on your pre op, evenings always seem to be worse for most people maybe try having coffee made with all ss milk in the evening I find that tends to fill me up when Im feeling peckish at night.

thats because we both had BA and he only does a 5 day pre op diet, the mans a genius :D

He is definitely a genius! Just over 2 months post bypass and sitting in jean 4 sizes smaller!

OMG SS you have done so well.... you gotta take some credit though as your lovely surgeon gave you the means to achieve your goals, he didn't do all the work for you.... WELL DONE YOU xxxx

Back