• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre op diet how long?

L0ckerz

How long are you supposed to do the Pre op diet ? Iv been told 2 weeks but some people only seem to have to do it for a week why is this... I'm dyin here starvin grumpy cold headaches ... Lol xxx

Usual is two weeks, for me the headaches & other negatives disappeared on day 3 or 4 then felt fine of tired from there on in but from day one my body & mind seemed to work together & I didn't feel hungry at all, but we are all different & every hospital seems to have their own variations on the theme.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I am on day 3 and not a happy bunny , plus I'm due on next week which I don't think is helping... I just wondered if 2 weeks was the norm or not x

Different hospitals have different rules about the length of the pre op diet and what you can and can't eat.
For me at NGH it's quite strict on what we can eat, but only 10 days.
I'm sure there's at least 1 hospital that has a 4 week pre op diet!!

I detested the pre op diet but it's worth it in the end

I've already told my family I'm not cooking while I'm on the pre op diet, I'm going to hide upstairs with a good DVD while they're all eating :(

I noticed that more when on milk diet. I'm now six days post op and not bothered with food at all.

I'm not on the milk diet I'm on the chicken and green veg one ... But iv just been reading a few stories where people have been on that one and they've been sewn back up because there liver hadn't shrunk enough ... Now I'm paranoid it will happen to me ? X

I've already told my family I'm not cooking while I'm on the pre op diet, I'm going to hide upstairs with a good DVD while they're all eating :(

That's what I did at first but by the 5th day I was actually feeling quite hyper and kept popping round friends for chats about the surgery but I didn't cook the whole time. I feel sorry for those that have no choice. I walked past a pizza hut and nearly passed out from the smell :D Have to say it doesn't bother me now though :)

I'm not on the milk diet I'm on the chicken and green veg one ... But iv just been reading a few stories where people have been on that one and they've been sewn back up because there liver hadn't shrunk enough ... Now I'm paranoid it will happen to me ? X

You will be fine as long as you stick to the diet properly, I think it's rare that anyone who stuck to the diet completely not to be operated on. It's a normal fear to have though, everyone worries, I did and I was on the milk diet for 2 weeks of just milk and a salty drink. The other diet must work as well otherwise different hospitals wouldn't use it :)

Well my bmi was 69 and my liver was fine. Like I say it's natural to worry but try to put it out of your mind, use it only to fuel you to stick to the diet and you will be just fine :) x

That's what I did at first but by the 5th day I was actually feeling quite hyper and kept popping round friends for chats about the surgery but I didn't cook the whole time. I feel sorry for those that have no choice. I walked past a pizza hut and nearly passed out from the smell :D Have to say it doesn't bother me now though :)

I hope it's like that for me too, I'm trying to plan loads of crafty things to keep myself occupied during the daytime so I don't obsess about food

Evenstarr said:
I hope it's like that for me too, I'm trying to plan loads of crafty things to keep myself occupied during the daytime so I don't obsess about food

It's night time that's a killer for me x

Back