• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre op doet starts today! But having negative thoughts about my surgery help!

mad midwife

Well just back from 2 weeks holiday full of over indulgence lots of food and alcohol! Start my pre op diet tomorrow, I'm doing slim fast so I hope it goes ok, I'm beginning to get very nervous not of the surgery itself but how much my life will change post op, I'm having a gastric bypass 31st October, and now reality has set in I've gone from being so excited and enthusiastic to worried and scared, everything I've eaten on holiday I just kept thinking oh I'll never be able to eat this again, or drink this again. I know that is why it will work but I just am having so many negative thoughts about the operation and how I will manage post op, was wondering if anyone else had last minute doubts, I want to loose weight, I want the surgery but it's as if I'm in mourning for the loss of a life of loving food.

I found the milk diet a very good start to my wl journey it was so theraputic , you are in mourning for foods you are saying goodbye to but also a way of life you are comfortable with it will get better x

It's natural to be scared, but like most things in life it's important to get your head into the right zone. If you can I would suggest you try to distance yourself from your love of food, and concentrate more on how much fitter you will be after your op. Is there things you want to do that your weight has prevented you from trying in the past? Think about these things.
I tried desperately hard not to think about never eating certain foods again during the pre op diet stage, but told myself I'll never be this heavy again!
Good luck! X

yes - you will go through that stage pre-op.... I know I did.

I dont miss any of it now.... Infact, so many things are a huge turn-off. I don't miss it - I just think "urgh - horrid !". Pastry for example.... anything with a high fat content is a major no no

My tastes have totally changed....

Well just back from 2 weeks holiday full of over indulgence lots of food and alcohol! Start my pre op diet tomorrow, I'm doing slim fast so I hope it goes ok, I'm beginning to get very nervous not of the surgery itself but how much my life will change post op, I'm having a gastric bypass 31st October, and now reality has set in I've gone from being so excited and enthusiastic to worried and scared, everything I've eaten on holiday I just kept thinking oh I'll never be able to eat this again, or drink this again. I know that is why it will work but I just am having so many negative thoughts about the operation and how I will manage post op, was wondering if anyone else had last minute doubts, I want to loose weight, I want the surgery but it's as if I'm in mourning for the loss of a life of loving food.

Its all the things many of us feel and go through
I am post Op by 2 weeks Gastric Band...and Im a mature bander so Ive had a long lifetime of food being my best friend, my comfort, my companion, my right arm.... :/
and Yes Im not going to lie you do have a few panics..
But I panicked more when my doctor said my blood tests showed that I was almost diabetic...

so sometimes some friends are bad for you......:(

Hi Lippyloirston, Hope you dont mind me jumping in here, I am having my op in 17 days with Prof Bruce...How did you find the whole post op

Hi Lippyloirston, Hope you dont mind me jumping in here, I am having my op in 17 days with Prof Bruce...How did you find the whole post op

You are in safe hands, he is a wonderful surgeon and my op went very well. My anesthetist was also fantastic and put me at ease. Are you having your op at ARI or Albyn?

I'm two weeks post op gastric band, and everyone has wobbles and what they feel to be panics. But take everything in your stride and remember why your doing it. I found the pre op therapeutic too and now im onto soft food i cannot wait to be in a place where i can have solids and chew! I dont even think about the bad stuff at the moment x

I had my bypass on 17th Oct... and the day of my op I was weighed (having endured the milk diet for 2wks) and I discovered I lost 11Kgs ! It made it all SO worthwhile.

Its normal to have a wobble and think about the future - but think of the future, yes your eating habits will be different, but think of it as a new chapter and think of the positive aspects of your new life rather than the bad things.

I was scared... but now I feel I have more energy and already enjoying myself - even 4 days after surgery!!!

Think about it, all those foods have made you unhappy enough to seek a drastic way to lose weight.

You will be able to eat those sorts of foods or at least most of them, but just tiny amounts.

I totally love my pouch, I love not craving food, I love not feeling hungry and most of all I love not feeling out of control.

These wobbles are natural though, you're saying goodbye to one way of life and the unknown is scary.

Best of luck xx

Eventually there will be very little food you cannot eat just it will be in a much smaller amount than you would have ever imagined yourself to eat. I am 2 years post op gone August and I still only have my meal on a tea plate. I can eat just bout everything my only tip is keep away from the sweet stuff it is harder to resist than before the op even though I only have a bit I still crave it. Don't be too despondent. Chin up and look to the future xx

like your post, very positive

Hey midwife, Lippy and Claire are right. And so are you ... Yes, we have to mourn the loss of our best friend and worst enemy. I am three months post bypass and have been eating a wide and varied diet for a few weeks - just smaller amounts. My pre-op diet was four weeks of 4 WW soups and 4 Muller Lights a day. I know it really helped me conquer my sweet tooth. As Sarah says, our tastebuds change after WLS - mine are very sensitive. Also all the fatty sweet stuff we think we will miss, in fact will make us soooooo ill we don't want to have them. You cannot compare life pre op with that post op, as it's a whole different world, and in my experience a very positive one xx

Im having my Op at ARI, on the 7th November, so being Admitted on the 6th, I am very nervous but Its a decision I have made and have accepted that I need this op done. Just a bit concerned as I live In Moray so a fair bit of travel to get back & forth to the ARI. But Im Doing It... On My Pre op Diet at the Moment and everything seems to be going well. x

Hi Klazzy, I don't think you will be in ARI very long. Although I had my operation at Albyn I would imagine having the same surgeon would mean the same aftercare. I was in hospital for 2 nights. (In Albyn you go in and are operated upon on the same day).

Glad to hear your pre-op is going well. Good luck with your op and a speedy recovery. Let us know how you're doing. X

Hi Klazzy, I don't think you will be in ARI very long. Although I had my operation at Albyn I would imagine having the same surgeon would mean the same aftercare. I was in hospital for 2 nights. (In Albyn you go in and are operated upon on the same day).

Glad to hear your pre-op is going well. Good luck with your op and a speedy recovery. Let us know how you're doing. X
Hi Lippy, I go in for my pre assessment on the 6th November, and have my Op the following day on the 7th.....Did you only have to follow a low carb diet for 10 days prior to your op, I am seeing loads of ppl saying they are on a milk diet for weeks, But I have never heard of that...

I think it depends on how large you are. The bigger the patient the larger the liver and the milk diet lowers it quickly to get it out of the surgeons way.

Well I did it! Now 4 days post op, very sore and a bit weak and dizzy but on the whole doing ok, no going back now can only look to the future and the good things in store once the weight starts to come off.

Back