• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

pre op laxative?

lullaby

Hi,
I'm having my bypass sat feb 11th in kent 3hrs away,
My pre op is on the wed feb 8th,
i understand they give you a laxative to take the day before the op, once taken how long do it last? worried about travelling on the saturday and we were even thinking of travilling up on the friday!
could i take it on the thursday?:confused:
any ideas or help welcome please
Thanks xx

ooh hun sorry i cant help you as i wasnt asked to take a laxative... i hope someone comes along soon who can help if not ring the hospital and see what they say xx
Ps good luck with your weight loss journey xx

laxatives take about 24hours to get out of your system hun anything you eat will go straight through lol but if your stomach is empty it should stop so if you dont eat you will be fine :S xxxx

A laxative will be to clear out your tummy in preparation for the surgery so you won't be able to take it a few days before because anything you eat afterwards will be in your tummy.
I'd give your team a quick call. I'm sure it's something they've dealt with loadsa times hun.
xx

Thank you ladies,
I will bring it up at my pre op
they might have another way around it!! xx

Havent heard of anyone taking laxative pre op!

im having my opp on the 4th feb hun and ive not been ask to take anything before maybe its only your hospital that do that im having mine at the homerton x

Hi hun, if you are talking about picolax then please dont fret.
If you have been doing the pre op diet you wont have much food in your system. Your last meal will be on thursday evening, picolax early friday morning with second dose friday lunchtime. You will be all cleared out by saturday morning when you have to travel.
Picolax is not like a normal laxative, that is why they are strict about what times you should take it, follow the rules and you will be fine.
Wendy x

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

I also had my op at chelsfeild, the care is fabulous, the nurses are wonderful and mr el hasani is a fantastic surgeon, i am 19 weeks post op, nealry 6 stone gone

Hi Honeykiss
Thank you for that, i am a bit nervous about it all, :) xx

sorry Honeykiss pressed sent too quick,
you have done so so well, i bet you are well chuffed
with yourself, keep up the good work :) xx

If you think about it it stands to reason why some surgeons like their patients to have a clear out, they are cutting through the intestine that carries food and feaces. It also might have something to do wi mr el hassanis pr op diet which is protein and veg, not the milk diet r slimfast etc. who knows, didnt d me any harm lol x

Back