• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

pre-op waht to expect?

k4rid4

iv got my pre op and im wondering what to expect... whats the aniesthatist do???? and whats an ecg?

I think the per op must vary from place to place. At Sunderland they took bloods, blood pressure etc and talked through what would happen in hospital. I had to have an ECG because my pulse rate was slow, all they do is pop some stickers on your chest attached to wires that reads your heart rate etc, its nothing to worry about and is quick. Hope this helps though it could be different where you are going. Good luck :)

Oh yes I forgot, they also take swabs for Mesa. I didn't see the aneasthatist until I was admitted.

At mine in Derby I saw the nurse who weighed me, filled out a big health questionnaire with me, did an ECG, asked about my current medications/allergies and then took some bloods. She also took my blood pressure and sats and swabs for MRSA.

Then I saw the thoracic physiotherapist, who went through how to use the spirometer and how to do my breathing exercises properly post op. she also discussed with me that I would be on my feet supported to walk round 4 hours post op. she also advised that I'd be expected to have a walk every 2 hours during the day.

And that was it basically. Took about an hour:)

ECG just checks heart function and is just 12 leads stuck on little jellied pads. Don't feel anything at all. The anaesthatist aks all sorts of questions re your general health and anaesthetic experience. Checks movement ranges etc and makes sure he is happy for you to go under on the day too. Again, nothing to worry about.
The whole pre op appointment is usually long and involves lots of questions and blood tests etc. I also had to see the dietician at this apt as well as a prep nurse and anaethstist. They give loads of info and it does all fell a bit surreal and almost an overload of information. Take someone with you, even if its just a friend to wait outside with you rather than someone you want in the room hearing all your personal stuff. My hubby was working away for mine and I took a trusted friend who just kept me chatting between bits and took my mind off of worry gutsing. Would have been better if hubby was there to listen and take in some of the gorey details too though as I think I started to switch off at times. Good luck, all that said, you'll be absolutely fine. x

what on earth is a spirometer and breathing exercizes???? r u giving birth ? lol

i totaly understand jojo i am always zoning out wen people are telling me alot of valuable info. short attention span lol. so the ecg pads r just on chest?

This is basically it. What you have to do is breathe In through the mouthpiece, with the aim of keeping the ball in between the smiley face. What it does is help increase your oxygen/ lung capacity post op, as this can be affected by the anaesthetic and the excess gas.

image-2842072657.jpg

Last edited:
oh that shud b fun, im asthmatic

I went for pre-ops yesterday.

I was diagnosed as asthmatic following pneumonia a couple of years ago. It's got so much better over last 6 months and I havent used an inhaler at all this year. They had me use a peak flow metre, but was high enough they didnt do spirometry

As the others said, it's just bloods, questions re allergies and stuff. Nothing that hurts or is a problem at all. Took about an hour...

i didn't see a dietitian or have the weird darf vader mask, or ECG thing. just some very nasty embarrassing mrsa swabs in personal places and a vicious blood test, i have however got some kind of urine infection, lucky me. the way the nurse was talking, she seemed to think i shud have been riving round in pain, i had no symptoms at all though. weird eh.
well thats me, heading for the losers bench in 2 weeks! eeek!!!! just gota get my head round the weird pre-op diet now.

Way to go k4rid4 just 2 short weeks to get through just keep focused and tick of the days :)

yep im knuckling down, just been weighing meat for my pre op diet.. omg shocked at how much 25grams of meat is.. very tiny!

Back