• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre-OP weight loss

tpt

Uber geek
Ok - this may take a while...

According to my little info bar to the right - I have lost 13lb since Sat when I got weighed at the clinic..I was fully clothed and had drunk approx 3 pints of black tea by then.
My (borrowed from a pal)WW scales at home obviously differ and I am weighing myself in the morning after 1st wee and naked.I have weighed a sack of dog food to check them for accuracy and they seem ok.

13lb since Saturday?? I think not. So - as I have posted before, I have refused to do the crazy milk pre-op diet thing - for a number of reasons but one of which is that 1 weekend in 4 I have to drive a couple of hundred miles home and look after my elderly rellies and drive back again - and after a week on milk and an oxo, that is not going to be feasible. I also have giant dogs - so no, going weak is not an option. They did however comparimse and I have cut out the carbs, so I have been having one meal a day of grilled saug, bacon etc with scrambled eggs, toms etc then slimfast and perhaps a diet cup fo soup. Still...13lbs since Sat? If it was that easy I would not be paying for surgery :eek::eek:

The aim of the 'crazy' preop diet is not really to loose weight but to shrink the liver so that it is easyer to manouver in the abdomen during surgery therefore reducing the time the operation takes and reducing the risk of complications.

However most people will loose alot of weight on the preop diet, however it is not a diet that should really be followed any longer than two weeks as it can make you ill. So you may get some good weightloss at the moment but it will mostly be water so its t a real loss. I would not get discouraged if you have thought about it alot and you think surgery is for you.

Yup - I know all that Fuze - and it may well be appropriate for some folk - I just didn't feel it was for me. Having had stomach surgery 5 times in the past and never having to go through the pre-op diet previosuly, I struggle to understand why this time I should - the only difference is that this time it is private not NHS. I don't have a massive stomach and avoid things that would engorge my liver (mostly.. although I have the odd pizza). As my BMI is quite low to start, the doc etc agreed that I did not have to do it but to commit to cutting out the carbs.

I was being ironic about the weight loss - and perhaps suggesting that the clinic's scales are over? It seems incredible to have lost 13lb in 4 days which is why I double checked mine by weighing a 15kg bag of dog food.:)

Think you will find that alot of your weight loss is fluid - on the first week of my preop diet I was weeing for England so it is entirely feasible that you have lost 13lbs! However, if you weigh yourself today or tomorrow, you may find you have put half of it on! Just once a week cause the scales fluctuate like crazy

Ok ok sorry. i was just also putting the information there incase someone else who looks through the thread and did not know this is what happens.

The aim of the 'crazy' preop diet is not really to loose weight but to shrink the liver so that it is easyer to manouver in the abdomen during surgery therefore reducing the time the operation takes and reducing the risk of complications.

However most people will loose alot of weight on the preop diet, however it is not a diet that should really be followed any longer than two weeks as it can make you ill. So you may get some good weightloss at the moment but it will mostly be water so its t a real loss. I would not get discouraged if you have thought about it alot and you think surgery is for you.

Thanks for posting this Fuze for the newbies who think the pre op diet is to lose weight. Alot of peeps think its good for the weight loss but don't always understand the reason for it.

Back