• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre Op Woes

nikshikari

Hello.... I have a date for surgery for the 20th of March. My area do the low carb/sugar etc diet not the milk diet.

I have done my research into both and i think i would be better with the milk diet as the diet is so restrictive with it being no foods at all so no temptation to have that little bit extra rice or that extra slice of toast in a morning. I am going to speak with the dietician obviously but i just wanted your views on this subject.

Good luck with the surgery, I did the liquid low carb for my pre-opt diet. Honestly I don't think there is an easy way around it, but the important thing is you do get through it. The key is having what your allowed to have on hand and if necessary getting rid of what you cannot have to eliminate temptation. Remember the whole point is to get your liver nice and small to avoid complications. I have the gastric sleeve done on Thursday it will be four weeks I am down nearly 40 lbs. Good luck keep me posted.

Good luck :)

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

There is no way on earth I could have done the milk diet. A huge part of eating for me is chewing LOL so just drinking milk would have been a nightmare for me. I had started to cut down my portion sizes for a while before the pre op diet so although it was tough and trust me it is tough, the restricted food diet was OK for me

i agree with Karlos the eating part is important to me too but before my pre op i had to do 3 weeks of the diet i am on now for DS as they won't do it if you can't prove you can stick to it because it is so high in protein 100g per day and absorbtion rate is only 20% so i was ready for the low carb diet and honestly don't think i could've done the milk one :) good luck x

I start my pre op diet Sunday and I've thought I'd rather do the milk one rather than food too....this week though I've had really low carbs and no rubbish to ease my way so to speak lol now I'm on day 4 my headaches have gone and eating less food doesn't seem to hard.... Like every diet I've been on I suppose....first few weeks are always the easy part dammit!

Maybe you need to just do what you know you'd cope best with? It'll be difficult whatever but least it's the start of the new you! Good luck :)

I did the milk one and before starting thought it would b terrible but approach it with a positive frame if mind, keep yourself occupied and have a few early nights and you will be fine xx

I start mine tomorrow , we had the choice & I chose the milk option a I love milk & b like you said its very specific , no room for tweaking . Good much hunni xx

Thanks everyone xxx

pandora said:
I start mine tomorrow , we had the choice & I chose the milk option a I love milk & b like you said its very specific , no room for tweaking . Good much hunni xx

How long do you have to do your diet for?

2 weeks :$ xx

2 weeks :$ xx

Yeah i thought it might of been longer that the low carb/fat diet. Got my pre op appointment next week so i will see what the surgeon says. Good luck hun xxx

Cheers hunni xx

hi nicola,
i started my two week pre-op diet yesterday. my surgeon has recommended a low carb/high protein diet which i honestly feel i am eating more than i have done on my recent calorie counting diet [28lb lost since 01st january] that i am worried my liver aint gonna shrink enough!!
i did have a massive headache last nite [not usually prone to headaches either] and, my hubby said i was extra bad tempered!!
i have no headache today though.
to put my mind at rest maybe some of you guys out there can let me know if they felt the same about this type of pre-op diet and, more importantly i would love to know if your liver did shrink.
thanks

I did the low carb diet and my surgery went ahead. while on it I even lost 15lbs.I am now almost 7 weeks post op. I have lost a total of 3 stone since 9th Dec

genevive57 said:
hi nicola,
i started my two week pre-op diet yesterday. my surgeon has recommended a low carb/high protein diet which i honestly feel i am eating more than i have done on my recent calorie counting diet [28lb lost since 01st january] that i am worried my liver aint gonna shrink enough!!
i did have a massive headache last nite [not usually prone to headaches either] and, my hubby said i was extra bad tempered!!
i have no headache today though.
to put my mind at rest maybe some of you guys out there can let me know if they felt the same about this type of pre-op diet and, more importantly i would love to know if your liver did shrink.
thanks

I Having the same worries about the shrinking. Guess everyone has to be fair though xx good luck with your diet and op xx

Back