• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Is it best to do a pre - pre -op diet?

I am awaiting a date for my op and since my first visit to the bariatric nurse in October last year I have started making lifestyle changes.
I have cut right back on drinking alcohol I now only have wine at the weekend and no longer in the week and already I can feel the difference to my liver. I am trying to eat more slowly (very hard but I am getting there) not drinking water with meals (again hard and need to try harder) I have cut down on the amount of water I drink and now feel less hungry as I am not filling myself up with it. I now only drink about 1.5 to 2 litres per day it used to be a lot more. I am also stopping eating when I feel full (again hard as I hate waste but fortunately the dogs love it!) I also try and ignore the constant sweet treats that appear at work I also asked that these generous people include fruit as well which has proved really popular with others too!
I have swapped to ss milk, low fat butter and reduced bread consumption. There is probably other stuff I have done too but can't think off hand.
All in all this has been achieved without feeling deprived too much and since October I have lost a grand total of 14lbs (note to self to update tracker)
I feel that I have done little to achieve this but obviously I have or the lb's would not be disappearing.
Being a taxi driver cannot be easy to eat healthily as you have already found easy to grab and run food is really unhealthy!
You will need to plan your meals and take with you so you don't have to grab. Just making your own sandwiches would be a start (and the idea of home made cake is a good one there are some brill low fat/sugar recipes about) It is about lifestyle change and the need to do it pre op is so important.
I refuse to go on a strict diet before my pre op diet as I am too scared of getting to the point I always reach of not being able to diet any more and will fail the liver diet. It is much too important to me to push myself to the limit before causing me to fail when my goal is in sight (if you see what I mean)
Make the changes but slowly
Also a good tip is when making your meal for instance low fat shepherds pie make enough to freeze a portion or two. That way you will always have ready to eat food you can pop in the oven

Reactions: Bev
I think you are spot on here Carol... the forward planning certainly eases our pathway and change/partnership is essential for our future commitment to wls...

Get in the groove as soon as you can... I'm still eating and drinking too quickly post op... but keep putting my cutlery down and waiting.

I started to drink half an hour after food a while ago and it helped so much post surgery...

Also cutting out fizzy drinks and getting used to a glass of water instead.

Love and hugs xxx

I find that I can go into denial very very easily. In other words just eat what I want and forget about it and not write it down in the diary. then it takes me a few days to get back on track again. I'm also great at never reading the packaging to see what my food actually contains. So that's something I'm having to change about myself.
I'm currently being careful not to eat anything with more than 10grammes of fat or sugar in it for my main meal.
Just had some quorn for the first time ever tonight. Ok quorn mince doesn't taste like real mince, however much they might try to kid you it does, but it was quite nice.

Hi yorkiegal,
Quorn mince I find if I add an oxo to what I am cooking and it tastes ok. Also using a lot of herbs and spices can make the plain taste fab. I do a chilli and spag bol and they taste fine with quorn.

Im an setting out on my new journey tomorrow. I have taken on board wat you have all said and it makes sense to start now while I can instead of being in a state of panic when I cant physically eat. I must admit I feel really calm about it. I am just going to live in the day and not focus on wat I am going to lose but focus on wat I am going to gain in the long run.

I am so glad I have joined this forum. I think we are all going to grow and slim together :-0).

Back