• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pro-biotics?

Snowcrystal

Hi Guys

I would imagine that the use of pro-biotics would be a good thing to us prior to surgery and after surgery too...(just my opinion)

Do any of you use pro-biotics?...
Did you use them prior to your operation to enhance your bowel flora ?
Were you told you should use them or were you told not to use them?

(((hugs)))

I used them for the first 2 weeks post op, as the hospital I was in gives you high dose IV antibiotics immediately post op. This gave me awful runs, and I wanted to restore some of my natural bacteria. Can't say if they made a huge difference or not, but they tasted good :)

I used them for the first 2 weeks post op, as the hospital I was in gives you high dose IV antibiotics immediately post op. This gave me awful runs, and I wanted to restore some of my natural bacteria. Can't say if they made a huge difference or not, but they tasted good :)

Thank you Shellbell

Who know's what the outcome would have been without them though.

(((hugs)))

Was never advised medically one way or another but on this liquid only post op stage i am living on actimel yoghart drinks but early days to say if it's having a positive effect. Sorry don't think that's much help but i'm sure someone will help shortly x

Thank you Gaelic Girl

I can see how having pro-biotics would help you prior to the operation in case of having antibiotics, or just upsetting the flora down there.

I'm using them right now because of colitis...and hoping it helps.

(((hugs)))

I read this article Probiotics weight loss after bypass surgery | Health | Reuters pre-op so I started using pro-biotic supplements before my op, I continued for a couple of months post-op but now have plenty of fresh pro-biotic yogurt. It has occurred to me to continue my use the supplements but I keep forgetting to buy them! Thanks for the reminder!

Nic:D

I read this article Probiotics weight loss after bypass surgery | Health | Reuters pre-op so I started using pro-biotic supplements before my op, I continued for a couple of months post-op but now have plenty of fresh pro-biotic yogurt. It has occurred to me to continue my use the supplements but I keep forgetting to buy them! Thanks for the reminder!

You're welcome...And thank you for the link...very interesting.

(((hugs)))

I have just started using pro-biotics and I'm really pleased that my stomach/bowels seem to be much better and operating properly ( after months of on-off constipation).
Jen x

Nic

How many billion do you take... am currently on 4 billion.
What brand did you take?...The brand I am using is Quest from GNC.

Did you keep yours in the fridge?

(((hugs)))

Hi Snow Crystal,

I read these were a good idea for bariatric supplements and take them every day, the ones I use don't need refrigeration. They have certainly made a difference ...very regular!!

M

I could do with the regular bit! can you please tell me what and where to buy these pro biotics and if it's ok to use them a week post op cheers x

I got mine from GNC...they are capsule so i don't know if that would be ok for you...and although they are capsule form they still have to kept in refridgerator.

I also take psyllium husks...absolutely brilliant stuff...it's all natural but I don't know if you can have it post op as it can swell quite a bit.

The registrar looked as if she were impressed with me taking it now and I meant to ask her if I do get the operation if I can still take it...but you know how it goes during these consultations, things slip your mind.

(((hugs)))

Back