• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

BMI 62, can I not get gastric bypass in uk!!

JOHNG79

hey guys,

As the title suggests, having some issues getting my choice of surgery. Sleeve then future bypass has been suggested by couple of companies. Obviously don't really fancy a double op, never mind double price.

The way I see it, the sleeve would not be much use to me. With my sweet tooth, I just don't think the restriction is enough for me.

Meeting tomorrow with Mr Li so hopefully know more then, and have appointment with Mr Hewin towards end of month. As Mr Li appears to work for 2 or 3 companies, I should have better idea of options then.

Quite oddly I contacted Nuffield health in Leeds who advised me senior management said they don't perform bypasses to patients over bmi 60. Contacted a different company who use Nuffield hospital in Leeds. I told them what Nuffield said, they advised me that they use that hospital, and they then contacted Mr Halstead - a Consultant Surgeon there, who advised they could perform a sleeve/bypass. Very very strange. I see Mr Hewin from that company on 28 November.

Total minefield.

Hi John
I can't help you with this as I am a Bander .. my bmi was 55 I think , maybe higher , can't remember with looking , but I could not get anywhere with the NHS either .. I believe they have put a cap on weight loss surgery ? So I had to pay to go private ..
There are a few in here who went abroad for surgery so they may be able to help ..
Good luck with whatever you choose to do
Xxxx

Thanks so much for your reply. Congrats on your loss!!

Sadly in Northern Ireland our health service won't do any weight loss surgery. Yet private companies are so hard to gauge when looking at their services.

Hi John

The sleeve did start out as the first of a two stage process to get a bypass for people with higher BMI's. We have had a few members who had a sleeve, got down to a BMI of around 40, then converted to a bypass.

There is usually a one year period for weight loss with the sleeve and bypass and realistically if your BMI is in the 60's you may not lose the amount you want to.

Of course there are exceptions, I have a good friend who was going to be a two stage but lost all of his weight with the sleeve.

Just keep an open mind and I'm sure you'll get the reassurance you need over the right choice for you xx

Thanks so much Mazza,

Does the sleeve not have serious issues with reflux though? That's another negative for me.

Thanks

John

Thanks so much Mazza,

Does the sleeve not have serious issues with reflux though? That's another negative for me.

Thanks

John

I did suffer with reflux with my band so was prescribed omeprazol, which I still take and I haven't had any problems since or with my sleeve, acid or reflux wise.

It's got to be worth asking about it though, you've obviously heard (or read) it can be an issue but it is treatable if it does happen x

Hi @JOHNG79 my bmi was 60.2 when I had my sleeve. I wanted the bypass originally but I'm glad I was suggested the sleeve. The sleeve works just as well as the bypass, how much weight would you have to lose to be under 60 for the bypass? That would be an option but you may have to wait a little longer. I'm 6 months post op and my bmi is now 38.
Roughly 1.5 stone, but I imagine I would lose guts of that in pre op diet anyway.

Have you found the sleeve restrictive? My main worry is it not being restrictive enough. Especially with a sweet tooth like myself. The dumping syndrome etc from bypass was a big positive for me.

Roughly 1.5 stone, but I imagine I would lose guts of that in pre op diet anyway.

Have you found the sleeve restrictive? My main worry is it not being restrictive enough. Especially with a sweet tooth like myself. The dumping syndrome etc from bypass was a big positive for me.
Plenty of restriction. You can still get dumping on the sleeve too.

I am finding the sleeve very restrictive indeed. And yes, I do get dumping syndrome. Not nice at all. However it is important that you are happy with whichever procedure you have.

My BMI was 63. Had my surgery on NHS, but had to follow 6 month programme. Had to go on milk diet for 8 weeks, then milk and food 8 weeks and then food for the last 8 weeks. I lost 4.5 stones over this period and had lost a total of 6 stone before I had my op. Which of course brought my BMI down quite a lot, can't remember what it was when I had my op. I had the bypass as I too suffer with reflux and Luton and Dunstable hospital said it was better for me than the sleeve because of that. Eighteen months on from the op. I have lost 11.5 stone, and would like to lose another 5, as and when.

Good luck with your journey whatever you decide.

Hi, some areas also offer the gastric balloon first and then the by-pass, I am sure someone on here had that and I know in my NHS area they also do that, the aim being to bring the BMI down before the main op. Might be worth looking at.

For NHS surgery most people are set a weight loss target anyway to prove commitment and the ability to change eating habits and the reliance on food emotionally. Would it be possible for you to set yourself the target of getting your BMI down before surgery? We all know how hard that is, but it will prepare you for life after surgery, as well as making it safer for you to have the surgery.

Hope you manage to sort things out, good luck!

I understand that the sleeve was originally devised as a first step operation for patients with very high BMI's but it has worked so well for so many patients they started offering it as a form of WLS on it's own. I get a lot of restriction with mine, I am nearly 6 months out and can't finish a tea plate sized meal. Some weeks the losses are small but yesterday I weighed in and found I'd lost 5lb last week alone. Surgery is a tool, whichever type you have :) If they want you to lose some weight before they take you on, is it worth following the LRD for a week or 2 on your own to drop your BMI? I really hope you can arrange the surgery you want and it works out for you :)

Hi JOHNG

How did your consultation with Mr Li go? I go to see him on the 14th Nov. at Spire Manchester. If all goes well with our meeting and I choose him as my surgeon then i'm hoping I can have the surgery in early/mid Dec.

hey guys,

As the title suggests, having some issues getting my choice of surgery. Sleeve then future bypass has been suggested by couple of companies. Obviously don't really fancy a double op, never mind double price.

The way I see it, the sleeve would not be much use to me. With my sweet tooth, I just don't think the restriction is enough for me.

Meeting tomorrow with Mr Li so hopefully know more then, and have appointment with Mr Hewin towards end of month. As Mr Li appears to work for 2 or 3 companies, I should have better idea of options then.

Quite oddly I contacted Nuffield health in Leeds who advised me senior management said they don't perform bypasses to patients over bmi 60. Contacted a different company who use Nuffield hospital in Leeds. I told them what Nuffield said, they advised me that they use that hospital, and they then contacted Mr Halstead - a Consultant Surgeon there, who advised they could perform a sleeve/bypass. Very very strange. I see Mr Hewin from that company on 28 November.

Total minefield.
Hi John

I had a sleeve on the NHS in Leeds with a BMI of 55. I have had no problems with reflux although I did following gall bladder surgery 8 years ago and have been on omeprazole since. Have had less since surgery. I have also never dumped, and I don't crave sweet foods any longer, in fact the opposite. The process is time consuming to get to the surgery but I feel it is needed as you have to get your mind into the right place. Have you tried to get it done on the NHS?

Hi JOHNG

How did your consultation with Mr Li go? I go to see him on the 14th Nov. at Spire Manchester. If all goes well with our meeting and I choose him as my surgeon then i'm hoping I can have the surgery in early/mid Dec.

Mr Li did my sleeve on Friday. No problems so far.

Hi John

I had a sleeve on the NHS in Leeds with a BMI of 55. I have had no problems with reflux although I did following gall bladder surgery 8 years ago and have been on omeprazole since. Have had less since surgery. I have also never dumped, and I don't crave sweet foods any longer, in fact the opposite. The process is time consuming to get to the surgery but I feel it is needed as you have to get your mind into the right place. Have you tried to get it done on the NHS?
Hi, thanks for reply. Sadly nhs over in northern ireland dont do it.

Ohhh where did you go for surgery? Where you in hospital long?

I saw him at Spire but actually had the surgery done at the Alex in Cheadle. Aftercare is the same but the cost is a lot less which sadly I needed to consider as self funding. He's lovely. He was Prof Ammori's junior for years and has taken over most of his private patients now. If cost is an issues talk to him about having it as the Alex.
I went in on Friday at 11.30 and was third on his list. I went down about 4.45 and was back in my room just after 8pm or so and went home about 5pm Saturday. I think I'm doing really well so far.

Back