• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Problem foods

jaxx

I'm 4 weeks post op next monday and I'm currently on the mushy food stage. I've been trying to introduce some soft foods into my diet and I've found a couple that absolutely crease me with pain. Scrambled egg and Salmon. I was just wondering if I'm struggling with them because I'm eating them without any sort of lubricating sauce. I'm chewing them for the longest time but when it comes to swallowing, I get severe pain in my pouch. I can eat melba toasts with no problems and baked beans and I seem to be living off those (with low fat cream and hard cheeses) at the minute which isn't good for me I know. I made myself a home made blended soup this evening which I'll be having for tea tomorrow evening.

I also know I'm not eating enough as I'm frightened to try something else in case it hurts or I'll feel sick or be sick. I had a bit of this at the very beginning when I was in the hospital and they gave me some blended porridge and milk, I was frightened of what would happen if I ate it.

I never thought I'd go from eating too much to eating not enough! lol

What are everyone else's problem foods?

Oh and I'll be contacting my dietician after I've posted this to see what she thinks.

Scrambled eggs are really a struggle for some due to their 'rubbery' text, bread is also too stodgy for some I couldn't do untoasted bread until I was 6 months post-op. Some people find the transition onto solid protein (chicken is a challenge for loads of people) very difficult. On the whole, making sure your food is very moist really helps you when trying new foods. Once you have mastered moist versions of foods you can move onto dryer foods, however always take it slow. Most people that find that they have a long "can't eat" list are actually not eating slowly enough, take too large bites (no larger than the very tip of your pinky) and/or are not chewing enough (20-30 times per bite). Also remember that something that is a no today may be a yes tomorrow!

Nic:D

Hi jaxx, scrambled egg was a funny one for me at your stage, somedays I could eat it and some days it was completely refused! Nic's is right as always, our pouches are funny things and have a mind of their own!

Good luck with moving onto mushys, it can seem impossible at 4 weeks post op that you'll ever eat 'normally' again but you will, don't worry. :D

Cuppa xx

Hi Jaxx I am not there yet but I was reading some wls info the other night and it said alot of people struggle with salmon in the early days because it is quite high in fat and tends to stay in the pouch for longer than normal. Hope this helps.

yes chicken was bad for me.. i couldt do it at all! i lived off cheese for ages and my dietian said if it was working for me to keep having it.. xx

Hi, try mushing things into mash - I found that helped. You could also try soft prawns but be careful to chew them really well.

I couldnt eat scrambled egg or salmon until i was around 4 months post op, they were the hardest two foods for me to get down without feeling pain along with mince. Maybe a poached egg would be worth a try? I wouldnt worry too much as you are still at a very early stage and as cuppa says it wont be long before you can eat properly again even though it probably feels like it!

i still struggle with eggs, somedays i love them the next the thought makes me go eughhhh, salmon i have no idea as i dont eat fish, but i hope its get better for u x

Unless they're hard boiled, eggs still kill me, and i'm 7 months post op:eek::eek:I get pain and crippling wind with them:(

Im a bander and I still really struggle with scrambled egg, its a shame because I really like it for breakfast!

Poached egg goes down a bit better!

Poached eggs I have no problems with, they go down nice and smoothly. I got contact back from my dietician, she said that scrambled egg and salmon are common problem foods.

I haven't tried any other meat yet, too frightened too! lol My blended soup went down really nicely tonight, I added some parmesan cheese with it so that it had some protein.

I love scrambled egg, I wish I could eat it but it just doesn't want to go down!

Sometimes I mix a spoonfull of scrambled egg with a spoonful of baked beans, that seems to go down ok.

Good luck

Rx

What about trying a really soft poached egg? Or a soft boiled egg mushed up, we used to call it chooky egg, as kids.

I miss my beloved tea. I used to drink pints of it, now it just tastes strange.

Back