• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

problems with band, pregnant, dont know where to go ASAP

costaerer

Had a gastric band about 2.5 yrs ago, and to be honest been quite lazy with it. havent had a fill for a long time, and dont have amazing restriction, but have lost about 3.5 stone.
any way, a few months ago, not sure when exactly i started having mad restriction in the morning till id been up and active for at least 3 hours. its progressively got worse to a point about 2 weeks ago where i cant even drink in the mornings. it hurts. it feels like theres literally no access for the drink to go into. but later on in the day i can eat, as much as a none bander.
anyway, this has progressively got worse, including quite a bit of vomiting as food gets stuck etc.
just found out im 10 weeks pregnant, and my band has been horrific the past week. i literally cant eat anything. can barely keep drink down. all day today all ive managed is loads of water thankfully and a few slithers of smoked salmon.
yesterday all day i ate a packet of crisps with some mashed egg (random i know). obviously this isnt good for me and my baby.

i spoke to the hospital who did my band (private hosp, paid by nhs), they said i had to go to my gp to get a referral back to them! booked an appointment (this was before i found out i was preg) and the 1st available appointment was weds morn. which means even if the referrral goes through asap, i wont be able to get a de-fill until the following week. dont think i can manage on 200kals a day till then.

im honestly not sure what to do? i really need a defill. its making me feel constantly sick, heartburney, miserable, got no energy etc....

any suggestions??

Go to A and E? In theory, they will have to treat you for your symptoms with or without a referral then?

Get some build up or complan shakes from a chemist or supermarket, and try to drink atleast 3 a day until you can get seen by anyone. The first 12 weeks are so important nutritionally for baby so it's worth doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

YOU NEED A COMPLETE DEFILL NOW!! Your systems are exactly what i had, and after 6 months of yoyo fills i had to have mine removed as i was completly dehydrated, yu cannot take chances with a new life in there. where do you live geographically? many private hospitals will do a defill for you, you will have to pay the going rate, but its worth it. i know MIchael van den bosche in spires southampton does, and there are clinics in london too. but if you have to wait try, aunt bessies mash with cheese, will give you protien. AND SLIM FAST full of vitamins and minerals, egg white is often dodgy when you are over restricted, be careful with that. forget about weight gain until yo get this sorted, for both you and your baby.if you are tight in the morning sip water until your restriction passes then eat or drink little every hour, and stop at least 3 hours before you go to bed. hope this helps. good luck x

I think u should just go and see what they say ... Would at least have a medical opinion . I haven't got a band so not much help sorry . I just know that in my pregnancy I was sick morning,noon and night for 9 solid months and was on drip in hospital 7 weeks gone with dehydration so maybe there isn't a problem with band as such ... Best to get checked out tho good luck x

If there is an nhs hospital near you that has bariatric consultants on staff, probably higher. May want to check that out?

what the chances of if i go to a+e them doing a defill at the hospital?

I doubt you would get an A & E Dr to do a de-fill. You should not need to be re referred, the team who carried out your surgery are responsible for you post op regardless where it was carried out. Which area are you in? I would call the clinic first thing on Monday and say you need to come in that day due to risk of dehydration, your vomiting could have make the band slip. Good luck, hope you get sorted asap.
In the mean time, have a 2 x teaspoons of water every 15 mins, 40mls an hour should keep you hydrated for a while.
xx

Really hope this is sorted for you asap. Personally i would go to A+E at least they can get a drip into you and would arrange a de-fill for say the next day, this is an emergency and the 1st trimester is the most important.
Let us know how things went
Kim

yep hun go to your local A&E and if they think it is a medical urgency to help you and to help your baby they can arrange for you to go to the hospital where you had your op to ort out the defill... dont leave it any longer hun... you need to be hydrated... i had dehydration after my bypass and its was a very unpleasant experience.. and you being pregnant aswell... this is a case of emergency xxx keep us updated lovely xxx

went to a+e, was just ridiculous. a+e doctor barely new what a gastric band, then i got placed under a gyne, who could barely speak English let alone know what a band was.
was horrifically ridiculous.
they admitted me after they insisted , and gave me a drip even though apparently i wasn't dehydrated. then tomorrow they were going to get in touch with the bariatric consultant (which the consultant gyne was insistent he didn't work at the hospital i went to , until 3 of the nurses on the ward informed in fact he does work there and has clinics.)

they couldn't seem to understand i was sick coz of my band, not because i was pregnant.
i genuinely felt like i was talking to a brick wall.
have managed to eat a milkybar just about all day.

anyway, about 6pm the same consult that was insistent on admitting me, was insistent of discharging me because she then realized i wasn't suffering from terrible morning sickness.

the whole day was a joke. going to have to go first thing now to my GP and beg for an appointment.

Back