• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Protein bars?

clar01

Hi

I am 13 weeks post bypass and am struggling to get my protein, especially in the mornings. I can't drink milk, it makes me sick and can't stomach meat in the mornings. I was in a rush the other day and bought a tracker bar, the nut one, I managed to eat the whole thing and felt great in a morning for the first time in ages, so thought, maybe I could tolerate a protein bar (or half of one) in the morning.

Does anyone know of any high protein bars they actually taste nice?

Xx

Hi

My wife makes her own Protein Bars, I will try to find the recipe for you and post it up here.

Paul

Here you go

Protein Bar Recipe

3 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cups dried milk
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 cup lite syrup
2 scoops protein powder Tesco Low calorie Protein is a good one to use.
2 large egg whites or 1 egg
11/4 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup raisins or dried fruit and chopped

Line cookie sheet with waxed paper and preheat oven to 325 degrees. Mix all the ingredients thoroughly. Spread onto sheet, press cutting lines in to make 10 pieces. Bake 15 minutes untill golden brown, cut apart, then cool and wrap. Store airtight at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.

Just noticed something missing

Where it says lite syrup I used Agave Light Syrup, I get it from Asda but is also available from Holland & Barratts Health food shop. Its just a lower calorie syrup.

Paul

My Friend use to have 50-gram Pure Protein blueberry bars that has 18 grams of protein. These are all sources of high-quality, or complete, proteins, which provide each of the essential amino-acids which every one need to get from their diet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am struggling with eating & can't tollerate eggs, meat or poultry so getting enough protein is very hard for me. I drink pro shots 88 ml fruit water drink which has 25g protein per shot. I also have Avidlite high protein soups 18g per pack. Not ideal but my dietician & surgeon have said it is better than not eating.

I buy pure protein bars from asda, they have 20g and are yummy x

from me phone :D

Sports direct do protein bars 99p each 30grms protein and i have fruit strawberry ones because i don't really like chocolate much, i also buy from holland and barret when the penny sale is on as it makes them half price then too, there are lots of flavours but i always go for 30 grms protein it makes such a difference to trying to fit food in all the time. :) just a word of warning though make sure it is high protein not energy bar which is carbohydrate :)

Just ordered the protein bars from Sports Direct. Thank for the info. I struggle with protein too, so hopefully I can top up with these bars. I am going to give the recepie a go too, sounds yummy!

Just wondering where do the protein bars fit into the plan are they classed as a meal replacement or a snack?

• As far as proteins are concerned, they are believed to be building block of cells in our body. The richest source of proteins are concerned, you should opt for Temph (fermented soybean). It has 19 gms of protein and not only that it also has a high fiber content. You can also opt for Tofu also known as bean curd, made from soybean milk. Spirulina pills would be great as there content of protein is 60 %.

rercently i also found that you can go for Avocado which are good source of proteins. one should keep on high in protein consumption as they are the once who help in repair of wear n tear phenomena of cell. The lessen the "apoptosis". i/e. the cell death phenomena.

My provider told me bars = a meal. She didn't mind protein water as snack/ supplement but preferred me to eat well for meals instead of bar for a meal.

Back