• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Protein, just how hard is it to maintain your protein needs daily??

Yasmine where do you buy your products??

Jay xx

If you type it into google it brings up loads of different sites that sell it. I bought mine from phd fitness but monster suppliments are good too. They all have different offers on all the time so it pays to shop around!!

If you type it into google it brings up loads of different sites that sell it. I bought mine from phd fitness but monster suppliments are good too. They all have different offers on all the time so it pays to shop around!!

Look for Whey protien as its the best, and aim for a product thats at least 80% protien ! you'll find as with anything else in life, the more you pay the better the product.

Thanks Yasmine and SS for the info re Whey protein powder
Also SS thanks for the food info. I do eat lots of veg and salad and like chicken turkey eggs my main protein items really, eat very very little red meat, and not enough fish though do each tuna prawns and pilchards, must try to eat more fresh fish.
When I fancy cheese I have low fat triangles, Laughing Cow, no not me the cheese !! lol
Good to know I will be able to eat these okay

Jay xx

Thanks Yasmine and SS for the info re Whey protein powder
Also SS thanks for the food info. I do eat lots of veg and salad and like chicken turkey eggs my main protein items really, eat very very little red meat, and not enough fish though do each tuna prawns and pilchards, must try to eat more fresh fish.
When I fancy cheese I have low fat triangles, Laughing Cow, no not me the cheese !! lol
Good to know I will be able to eat these okay

Jay xx

This works for me, though i'm in no way advocating this ! .............. i eat full fat unpasturised goat and cows milk cheeses, i read a while back that the calcium in the milk carries the fats through the gut faster and you absorb less.

Now i may have it all wrong, but it works for me and i've lost and am still losing weight. To be honest i cannot consume the amounts i used to eat, so the bit i do have cant really be doing me any harm.
Plus it tastes a hell of a lot better than laughing cow or low fat diet cheese ! ;)

As for the rest, sounds like your doing ok and getting the right foods in !

Great advice by you peeps. I am 11 days post op and am still on the liquid diet. I will defo being writing a list of all protein foods that I enjoy ready for when I start my puree food. I will be realy thinking what I eat, Thanks peeps, your better than any diet book. Mandy x:D

I have just ordered the non tingly shots 12 for £20...tempted to try this whey stuff...although Im worried about the flavours as I really dont like milkshakes...do they taste like milkshakes?

I have just ordered the non tingly shots 12 for £20...tempted to try this whey stuff...although Im worried about the flavours as I really dont like milkshakes...do they taste like milkshakes?

Whey is just the protein source, the shots are whey based. Some protein powders are 'milkshake' type and some are fruit flavoured. And to make it all the more confusing what one person thinks is yummy, another person thinks is yucky. It is so hard to recommend a product to someone else since they might HATE it even though you love it. Shel frequently hands off her supplements to me if she doesn't like them, since everyone is so different. Sometimes I love them (High Protein PROMAX, caffe latte flavour) and sometimes I hate them (MET RX strawberry, love other flavours but this one is VILE) so that is why buying a single is best to try them out.

Good luck hun,
Nic;)

Whey is just the protein source, the shots are whey based. Some protein powders are 'milkshake' type and some are fruit flavoured. And to make it all the more confusing what one person thinks is yummy, another person thinks is yucky. It is so hard to recommend a product to someone else since they might HATE it even though you love it. Shel frequently hands off her supplements to me if she doesn't like them, since everyone is so different. Sometimes I love them (High Protein PROMAX, caffe latte flavour) and sometimes I hate them (MET RX strawberry, love other flavours but this one is VILE) so that is why buying a single is best to try them out.

Good luck hun,
Nic;)

Lol thanks Nic...I was in tescos tonight and they had HUGE vats of protein mixes for anything up to £50...I think I will go back to Holland and Barrets and have a nosey at the singles.

Thanks again...yet again :D hehe Your a star!

Hi - thats really interesting to hear your protein stories. i have never been given any information on how much to eat, was told i didnt need to take any shakes and have not yet been to see the doctor since my op in february. i have to say that i will follow your advice and this may help me too thanksxx

The guys i work with buy massive tubs of the stuff over the internet, and pay quite a lot for it, they say that the bigger the quantity you buy the cheaper it gets, but none of them seem to like the taste and say its yuck, when questioned they buy and use it because it does what its meant to do and is the best quality. Suppose its just a case of sucking the stuff down and putting up with the taste.

I quite like the taste of the ones I use. But then I've always been odd.

Good to know about the full fat cheese SS actually there is a programme on next week about dieting and a chap who makes cheese says that eating it helps with weight loss.
I have never liked milk shakes etc and that is why I have always shied away from things like slim fast, although I did do lighterlife for three months, but could only have the chicken soup as hated all the other shakes and flavoured things, didnt like the bars either....yuckeee......so will have to learn either to find something I can mix with proteins that I like or hold my nose lol!!
I think PHG is right single trials seem to be the way forward, otherwise I will be throwing it all out like I did the lighter life stuff vbg!!

Jay xx

Im 5 weeks post op and dont think i eat enough protein, though i do try.
but upto 80g would be impossible. Id be lucky to eat 20-30 i think, is that about normal for this stage?

I bought some of the IDS new whey protein shots and they come in fruit flavours in kind of an oversized test tube container. I couldn't manage with the bulk of the milkshake style powders and wanted to find something ready mixed that I could have by itself or mix with fruit juice. They are a bit pricey at £33 for 12 vials but they give you a 42g shot of protein with each one. I ordered the blue rasberry one that is very tangy and sweet. mmmmmmm me thinks I made a good choice!!!!

I have an opened phd pharma whey tub of chocolate cookie going begging if anyone wants it. It still has 87 servings in it. Either pm me and arrange to collect it or if you want to cover the cost of postage your welcome to it. It cost me £38 but I should have bought the smaller one to try first. You live and learn!!!
It tastes nice but I find it fills me too quickly and then I struggle to eat......hence opting for a juice type option!!

Im 5 weeks post op and dont think i eat enough protein, though i do try.
but upto 80g would be impossible. Id be lucky to eat 20-30 i think, is that about normal for this stage?

Hun, I feel strongly about the absolute need of high protein levels which has been enforced by research I have found. You must try to increase your protein or I fear you might face malnutrition. I feel I have to point out that it is NOT impossible at 5 weeks post-op to get more than 20-30g. I believe you are on normal food, right? Here is how to get closer with food alone on a 'normal' diet:

L – Ryvita & cream cheese, Clementine, 1 string cheese
D – Salad of romaine, bacon, sliced turkey & sliced swiss cheese w/lf ranch dressing
Snack – cottage cheese, milky tea or coffee during day

Sainsburys Fruit & Fibre Cereal
30 gram serving, 6.5g protein
Milk, 2% fat
1/2 pint, 5.6g protein
Light String Cheese
1 stick, 7.3g protein
BM Sliced Turkey
4 slices, 15.4 protein
Emmenthal Cheese Slice
2 slices, 8.4g protein
Streaky Bacon, cooked
3 thin slices, 5.6g protein
Ryvita Dark Rye
1piece, 1.1g protein
Philly Garlic & Herb Light
1 tablespoon, 1.2g protein
Iceland's LF Cottage Cheese
75 grams, 8.3g protein
Clementine
1, 0.6g protein
Orange juice
¼ pint, 0.6g protein
Salad dressing, ranch dressing, reduced fat
1 tablespoon, 0.2g protein
Lettuce, cos or romaine, raw
½ cup, 0.3g protein

Total Protein 61.1g
[FONT=&quot]Calories, 800ish, carbs 70g (the only simple carb is the orange juice)[/FONT]

This would have to be changed if you are still doing purees. Let me know if that is the case.

HTH,
Nic;)

Back