• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Carbs???

claudiadearman

I im on the milk diet and so I have been reading a lot online regarding carbs and health issues etc. I understand that being on the milk diet 1 one shrinks the liver and 2 puts the body into ketosis? I thought the point of ketosis and to get there was to have no carbs? But yet milk contains carbs? Where as a grilled chicken breast contains fewer grams of fat and no carbs and no sugar but yet has a lot more protein? Would this not be a better substitute for drinking all that milk?? I don't know?? Just gathering as much info as possible into the workings etc xxx

Its not for us to decide about pre op diet. Its the surgeon and the team decide.

Some hospitals put you on slimfast shakes on pre op diet and those are packed with sugar.. :)

Its not for us to decide about pre op diet. Its the surgeon and the team decide. Some hospitals put you on slimfast shakes on pre op diet and those are packed with sugar.. :)[/

I'm not on the LSD I'm just on it to shed a few pounds before the 19th which ive done and hit target a week out, so I know it works and very well lol. I'm just trying to find out more about diet and the reasonings behind it etc? I don't think it's a bad thing to know as much as possible about how things work? I'm just intrigued lol xxxx

The point of lsd is to use up the glycogen (fuel derrived from eating carbs) that is stored in the liver. Once that store is gone, provided you are eating minimal carbs then we burn fat to fuel us and are then in ketosis. Milk diet or liver shrinking diet not supposed to be used as a method of losing weight just to reduce the size of the liver and make it safer to move during surgery. Alot of water is lost initially when going on lsd. I expect that each surgeon has aa specific lsd they like to use and probably use milk /yogurt as a more fail safe/ harder for us to get wrong diet. I think as long as it's really low in carbs it probably doesn't matter which. I would recommend that people do follow the one they are advised to. And I know my team were quite clear that this diet shouldn't be used as a general method of weight loss.

The point of lsd is to use up the glycogen (fuel derrived from eating carbs) that is stored in the liver. Once that store is gone, provided you are eating minimal carbs then we burn fat to fuel us and are then in ketosis. Milk diet or liver shrinking diet not supposed to be used as a method of losing weight just to reduce the size of the liver and make it safer to move during surgery. Alot of water is lost initially when going on lsd. I expect that each surgeon has aa specific lsd they like to use and probably use milk /yogurt as a more fail safe/ harder for us to get wrong diet. I think as long as it's really low in carbs it probably doesn't matter which. I would recommend that people do follow the one they are advised to. And I know my team were quite clear that this diet shouldn't be used as a general method of weight loss.

THANKYOU samp, I'm actually on it to loose a few extra pounds as instructed by my dietician which ive already done etc. I just found it fascinating how there are so many theories on milk being so bad for us and was thinking maybe cutting back on milk and having something like chicken would benefit the body more? I honestly do not know, either way I just wanted some info. So THANKYOU as I believe it's not just a journey of WLS but a change of life xxx

My hospital gave us 5 diets that we could follow, I choose to follow the real food diet which was great and I lost just over a stone in four weeks. It's not about weight loss at that stage it's about shrinking the liver so that it is not damaged during surgery, its a bonus that you loose weight. My only problem with different hospitals is that they are not teaching people sensible food changes with offering milk and slimfast diets no one lives on milk or slimfast as "Normal" do they. For me it just feeds into the duet frame of mind that we are all meant to leave behind and exchange for a healthy life style. But maybe that's just me. :)

My hospital gave us 5 diets that we could follow, I choose to follow the real food diet which was great and I lost just over a stone in four weeks. It's not about weight loss at that stage it's about shrinking the liver so that it is not damaged during surgery, its a bonus that you loose weight. My only problem with different hospitals is that they are not teaching people sensible food changes with offering milk and slimfast diets no one lives on milk or slimfast as "Normal" do they. For me it just feeds into the duet frame of mind that we are all meant to leave behind and exchange for a healthy life style. But maybe that's just me. :)

Actually Luton do - they use the milk diet to get you the easy loss before they can get your funding. They then ask you to go on the refeed diet in order to maintain that weight loss or lose more. The refeed is a portion controlled diet that is similar to how we should eat post op. I would say that luton is one of the hospitals with the highest rate of success and many of the people I know from there have lost more than the expected 60% of ewl

My team said all the same about milk/yoghurts re liver shrinking - also mentioned that as their post op instruction is liquid, then puree, then mash and then solid - it prepares the transistion to the fairly momentous changes that the next few weeks hold - thats so not scientific and nutrient based I know - but I thought I'd chuck in the pot as thats was I was told :)

Back